News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Visit Previews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#125The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:18pm

Oh, I defintiely know this one is going to divide people. And I LOVE that.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#126The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:19pm

Me too!!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#127The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:33pm

After Death is probably thinking of a new superlative...I mean a new diatribe, of course. It requires a little work to be so tin eared and blind to anything that isn't NO NO NANNETTE, you know.

I don't know if my little "review" came across as negative or mixed. Let me affirm that I thought the show was quite terrific. A real thinker, and something pretty startling. That's what the theater should be every now and then.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#128The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:41pm

But unfortunately, most audiences don't go to the theater to think or have an experience anymore.

And people have been saying that since the 50s, so I'm not certain it's any more true now than it was any other decade.

It's no stranger than something like FOLLIES or any of the Prince-Sondheim shows, and those ran, even if they didn't make money.

Besides Follies, which other strange Sondheim/Prince show do you mean? Follies (ran 1 year) and Sweeney (a little over 1 year) were both spectacles and had MUCH stronger scores. Merrily had a stronger score and closed in a couple of weeks. Pacific Overtures ran only 5 months. Night Music is nothing like The Visit and ran 1.5 years. Company was very much a modern innovation of its time and again, nothing like The Visit and ran almost 2 years. Forum is nothing like The Visit and ran over 2 years.

It does sound like the show has improved since I saw it at the Goodman, but I've never been convinced that this particular story would create much buzz or enthusiasm with the general public. Unless maybe it had Hugh Jackman or Neil Patrick Harris or some other established bankable star. I think a lot of classic stories and plays of black humor and/or surrealism are fantastic and could be musicalized and be worthy of praise, awards and accolades and never pique the interest of the general public in any era. I think a run of a year or more for this type of show would be out of the ordinary, just as they always were.

And incidentally, Prince directed The Visit as a play and it ran only 3 months.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 3/30/15 at 02:41 PM

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#129The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 2:43pm

JordanCatalano: "Oh, I definitely know this one is going to divide people. And I LOVE that."

I tend to gravitate toward shows that divide people, too. I like shows that make me think and emote and still entertain me. A lot of people don't like anything they can't get from one viewing. I'm just the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice fluff piece, too. Again, though, it must entertain me and give me something of an emotional payoff, too.

Whenever I get into a discussion about that very thing, I always point to 1994, where I loved both Passion and Beauty and the Beast. It is possible to love things at both ends of the spectrum. And it is sad to hear when people write off shows because they flop or aren't critical favorites. Some of the greatest moments I've had in the theatre are when I've been to a flop (Grind, The Civil War), and some of the worst have been at critical/audience darlings (Les Miserables, for example.) Sometimes, the (perceived) flaws are the best part. Let's face it, there's no such thing as perfect.

The bottom line is that the only shows I end up hating are those that made me feel nothing at all, either way. (Baby, It's You and It Shoulda Been You are two perfect examples of that!)

But since this is a thread about The Visit: I was fortunate enough to see it at Signature, years back, and it was weird, but never dull, powerful in surprising ways, and it - from design to book, score and performances - made you do some of the work for yourself. A lot of people grumbled on the way out. I haven't had it far from my mind since that night... I can't wait for my return visit to The Visit this weekend.

After Eight
#130The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:42pm

"Also, a little surprised that After Eight hasn't commented on it, given that he usually sees early previews."

Why, ljay,I didn't think you cared! (You can now offer up the expected stupid, snarky remark.)

I believe I told you in a previous thread that I don't attend every first preview. I guess what I didn't tell you was that I don't comment on every show I see. I'm often tired when I return home from the theatre late at night. After all, I'm not in the springtime of my years like so many others on this board. And then, sometimes, I simply just don't feel like it.

But since you brought the matter up, yes I was at the first preview of The Visit. Probably the main reason I didn't post was because it was something of a letdown for me. I had very much liked the benefit performance at the Ambassador a few years ago. There it was lean, sharp, mordant, and chilling. Here, it seems to have flattened out. Perhaps it was the drab and overarching set that drew attention away from the action on stage. The presence of the ghosts à la Follies also proved both a distraction and an encumbrance. I agree with Ethel Mae about the lack of arc. The horror of the of the town's progressive abandonment of Anton did not register effectively here.

Whenever Chita was on stage, her presence and command riveted one's attention. When she was off, interest sagged.

I didn't care much for Roger Rees's performance, and even less for his singing.

I think the show would have been more effective with an intermission.

I did like Kander and Ebb's score. It towers over any other score this season. I look forward to the recording.

So there you are.

See what a good sport I am? Despite your recurrent disparaging and vulgar cracks about me, I served up these comments just for you.

Updated On: 3/30/15 at 04:42 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#131The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 4:50pm

@ Jordan Catalano thats funny, when it was over, my mother and I both said it was the longest 90 minutes we have ever spent. We had to check our watches to believe it. I was like, somebody please kill him, hell, ill do it- give me the gun! HAHA

Darreyl with an L!

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#132The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:02pm

Saw this at the Sunday matinee. I liked it and thought it was beautifully designed and directed. I think it benefits with NO intermission because I don't think it could hold interest such as it does being longer with a break. Chita was the Center of it all. I liked Roger Rees' acting - his singing was passable when he didn't have to hold notes or try to belt, and then it became a bit unbearable.

All in all, an interesting theater piece which will probably not find an audience. Glad I went and I do think it will pick up quite a few Tony nominations, since it's opening with the advantage of them being near. That may help, but probably not enough, unless by some miracle it cops the Best Musical Award, which I don't envision.

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#133The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:34pm

I saw it on Saturday night, and I'm glad I did. I can't say that it was satisfying, but it was certainly thought provoking. There are a few bars of music that keep on running through my head. That doesn't happen that often these days. I think it would have benefited from some visual variety -- as the set was gorgeous, but stagnant. I think this is more of a directoral issue. Overall, I'm pleased I went, thrilled to have seen Chita again in a leading role, and happy that I'm still thinking about the show a day or two after I've seen it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#134The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 8:01pm

Asked this earlier. Still wondering..

Is Doyle still using the applause break at the end of YELLOW SHOES? There wasn't one in Williamstown, and the number certainly calls for applause, but it felt a little awkward at the first preview.

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#135The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 12:32am

Ljay:

I was at the matinee on Sunday. No applause after Yellow Shoes. I'm glad; it would have been a distraction for me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#136The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 12:33am

Good to know! It was a little strange to me. Does it still end with the cast repeatedly shouting YELLOW SHOES? The shouting is a new addition.

Updated On: 3/31/15 at 12:33 AM

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#137The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:10am

I do not recall that, no.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#138The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:14am

Hmm. I wonder if that has changed. In Williamstown, it ended with them repeating "Yellow shoes" (not shouting) and Anton crying for help from Claire. The first preview, it ended with them loudly shouting "Yellow shoes" and no cry for help.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#139The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:16am

ljay889, Mike3...
Btw, where are you all seating, orchestra mezz balcony?
Any suggestions?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#140The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:22am

Front row orchestra, amazing view.

Just found out the song still ends with the shouting, but Chita runs right into dialogue, no applause.

Updated On: 3/31/15 at 01:22 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#141The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:23am

Someone please post a song list

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#142The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:24am

From IBDB. The Visit Previews

Prelude
Out of the Darkness Townspeople
At Last Claire and Townspeople
I Walk Away Claire, Louis Perch, Jacob Chicken and Rudi
I Know Claire Anton
A Happy Ending Mayor, Priest, Doctor, Police Chief, School Master and Townspeople
You, You, You Claire, Anton, Young Claire and Young Anton
I Must Have Been Something Anton Schell
Look at Me Claire, Anton, Young Claire, Young Anton and All
A Masque Mayor and Townspeople
Eunuch's Testimony Jacob Chicken and Louis Perch
Winter Claire
Yellow Shoes Doctor and Townspeople
A Confession Claire and All
I Would Never Leave You Rudi, Louis Perch, Jacob Chicken and Claire
Back and Forth Matilde, Ottilie and Karl
The Only One Frederich Kuhn
Fear Anton
A Car Ride Anton, Matilde, Karl, Ottilie, Young Anton and Young Claire
Love and Love Alone Claire
In the Forest Again Anton, Claire, Young Anton and Young Claire
Finale Townspeople

krristinnnicolee
#143The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:30am

where have the rush seats been located?!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#144The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:42am

What's the rush situation? I can't seem to find it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#145The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:46am

Student Rush: $30.00 - Available at the Box Office on the day of the performance, as soon as the Box Office opens - Limit 1 ticket per valid student ID - Subject to availability.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#146The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 1:47am

After Eight, would you say that the show itself wasn't very good, or just that it was a letdown from the concert production that you saw (I think that was in 2012). In other words, would you have liked it if this were the first time you saw it? Though apparently it is sacrilege on this board to agree with you, I tend to on a lot of shows and would like to know. Either way, I will be seeing it when I come to New York because I love Kander and Ebb and Chita Rivera, provided it does not close in previews.

After Eight
#147The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 7:12am

Fantod,

I thought it was good --- certainly good enough --- but it didn't play as well as at the benefit.

Chita's presence by itself made the evening worthwhile. Upon reflection, I think one of the problems here is she's not on stage enough! Anton, the townspeople, his family are not presented as compellingly as they need to be.

If I hadn't seen the benefit, I no doubt would have had been less disappointed.

Which underscores what one poster observed in the Finding Neverland thread. He had loved the show in Cambridge, and was harshly critical of the changes he saw in New York. But he noted that if he hadn't seen what it once had been, he would probably have liked the New York version more.

I've felt that way myself after having seen shows out of town, and then later on Broadway.

I think The Visit is definitely worth seeing. In fact, I would call it the best new musical of the season, and that includes that overhyped history lesson, and, of course, the little stinker that could --- and will.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#148The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 8:12am

I was in the front row of the mezz, center section, on the aisle. Fabulous seats. Theater is small, though, and I would think anything but the extreme sides would be more than fine.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#149The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/31/15 at 8:16am

After Eight, you make a great point here:

"I've felt that way myself after having seen shows out of town, and then later on Broadway."

Many times I've thought that - Smile, Grind, Teddy & Alice and Victor/Victoria were all far better out of town. Far better. I hope that I'll still love The Visit as much as I did at Signature. I'll try to be optimistic.

A8, when you write with sincerity, I find your thoughts insightful and though-provoking - even if I disagree. But...

Then you muck it up when you just can't resist a bitchy barb or snarky comment. To wit: "that includes that overhyped history lesson, and, of course, the little stinker that could --- and will." You had me until the last half of the last sentence.

Videos