News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tony Performances 2007

#50GROSS
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:12pm

MARY POPPINS - Step in Time or Supercalifragalisticexpialadosious
GREY GARDENS - Revolutionary Costume, or a clip of the show sinced it will be closed by then at least.
PIRATE QUEEN - anything w/Stephanie
CURTAINS - Show People
A CHORUS LINE - One or a medly with 30-50 second snippets of who gets nominated (Music and the Mirror, Nothing, At The Ballet, Gimmie The Ball, Hello 12..)
COMPANY - Being Alive
THE APPLE TREE - don't know what the songs are..sorry.
110 IN THE SHADE - anthing w/Audra

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#51GROSS
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:38pm

Of course it will be ONE for A Chorus Line! This is the trademark of the show and it will be "BOOM" at the end! It will just spoil the emotion without the whole ONE performed.

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#52GROSS
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:32am

Allentown2....you hit it right on the money!

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#53GROSS
Posted: 11/12/06 at 8:20am

Apple Tree should take the same road as the original Apple Tree, and offer up "Movie Star"/"Gorgeous".

I'd imagine that 110 in the Shade would do "Is It Really Me?" or "Love Don't Turn Away" to showcase Audra McDonald. (Although that character's most dramatic moment is "Old Maid" and I really can't wait to hear Audra sing it).

I'd probably swap out Pirate Queen and add Spring Awakening. (I think your four Best Musical candidates will be Grey Gardens, Mary Poppins, Spring Awakening and Curtains).

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

bwayondabrain
#54GROSS
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:32am

i dont think SPRING AWAKENING will perform "The B**** of Living", i mean, its a good song, but that would be a lot of beeping and censoring on national television...

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#55GROSS
Posted: 11/13/06 at 12:30am

Why does everyone thing GG will be closed by the Tonys?

I thought it was selling really well?

Sm**chies!

Jacob.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#56GROSS
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:50am

At this point, to say that GREY GARDENS will be closed by June is stupid. It received nearly across the board positive reviews. There's no chance it will close by then. The strength of Ebersole's performance alone will keep the show running.

I think that A CHORUS LINE will win best revival. In fact, I'm almost willing to put money on it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#57GROSS
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:00am

GREY GARDENS is definitely not going to close by June...

Nick Plasia
#58GROSS
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:05am

Indeed. The reviews are gold; the advance is impressive;
tickets sales are strong; and we haven't even seen
tv or radio or print ads ramp up yet.
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 02:05 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#59GROSS
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:07am

And word of mouth is terrific and far reaching - there have been major articles about the show and the Beales in newspapers and magazines around the country. Its getting a lot of great free publicity.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#60Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:21am

Munk, I agree C-Line has a chance--although, I'm still confused about the revival category this year.

Should a show that is an exact replica of the original be considered?

And 110 IN THE SHADE, is still coming up! (well APPLE TREE too, but...)

I'll give C-Line the edge, because it's been 16 years since the original closed; yet still not any different than the original.

I hope Les Miz (or More Miserable) isn't considered--it never left. It only left long enough to air out the trash. Most tourists aren't even aware--at least the performance I saw--that it was a revival. I heard more people talking about how the show has lost it's "edge" than people who knew it was still in previews for a "new" revival. Scary.

I'm still waiting for Encores to do "I HAD A BALL". (That's just my freakish wish!)

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
Updated On: 11/13/06 at 02:21 AM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#61Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 6:05pm

bump

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#62Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 6:18pm

I agree with Munk and Michaelbennett. I don't see where your logic is coming from. Grey Gardens won't be closing any time soon let alone by Tony time. Nominations come out in about 2 months, GG will definitely be around by then and if it gets the Tony nominations I believe it will than that should boost ticket sales for many weeks after it.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#63Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 7:40pm

i wonder what, spring awakening would do?

touch me.. but if they can't do their choreography, it's rather boring to watch.

and can they say BITCH on national tv at the tony's?

other wise, i don't know what they would do.

a medley would be really interesting i think.. hmm.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#64Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 7:46pm

I see a Spring Awakening Medley.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#65Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:15pm

Read my lips: GREY GARDENS WILL STILL BE RUNNING AT TONY TIME!!!!
It will be running and Ms. E. and Ms. W. will win their awards. (I hope it gets several others, but we can only hope!)

As for what to perform-They should do a medley of "Around the World" and something with both Mary Louise and Christine together because of the chemistry they have on the stage. (They may try to do something from Act I, and something from Act II, since part of the novelty of the show is her dual performance.)

Other shows: The aforementioned "A Chorus Line"-"One" is the ONLY song I imagine being done!
If Les Mis is nominated-"One Day More" will be the one, I think.
"Curtains"-tough to say-I think the song "Show People" will be the one.
"Spring Awakening"-"Touch Me" or medley of "Mama Who Bore Me" and "Song of Purple Summer".
"Legally Blonde" (hate to admit it, but I think it may have a shot at a nom.)-"Ohmigod" (I'm planning on being at the awards-and planning on this number being a bathroom break!)
I can't see "Company" not doing part of "Being Alive" along with another song
I think if LoveMusik is nominated, then a duet between the two leads will be done (don't know the music yet)
Just putting possibilities out there.
But-to get back to first sentence-GREY GARDENS WILL LAST THROUGH THE TONYS!!! (they're already selling tix through 6/17.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#66Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:31pm

SPRING AWAKENING: As much as I dislike medleys, I think that this show is going to have to show the variety in the music, in addition to the burden of leaving out anything that would be censored for television. I find "Mama Who Bore Me" to be absolutely enchanting, so I think a medley of that song, with part of "Bitch of Living" and "Touch Me" would really show off the glorious score and talent of the entire cast.

GREY GARDENS: I would love to see the entire number, "The Five Fifteen". It is such a wonderful musical theatre number, and the cast drives it home beautifully. But, many viewers are going to want to see something they are familiar with from the documentary, so a medley might end up being best. The question is, how are they going to get Ebersole out of one costume and into the next in less than a minute? I think they may end up having to choose a number from either Act I or Act II, not a medley combining both.

A CHORUS LINE: A medley of the opening number and "One" will give the viewers just what they want to see.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 3/18/07 at 09:31 PM

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#67Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:36pm

Costume change question for GG-They do change her costumes that quickly in the show, believe me. It's all how they choreograph it and what numbers they do. They may choose songs that allow for a costume change. (Five Fifteen doesn't allow for that, I don't think. I'm trying to remember the fastest costume changes for all the times I've seen it. The Act I costume changes I believe take longer. I bet they could pull something off, though. The dresser does a remarkable job. It happens very quickly, particularly in Act 2.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

ashley0139
#68Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:41pm

I hope GG does Around the World or Another Winter in a Summer Town. I could see Five Fifteen working too.

Remember this thread is from November, so people who were saying it would be closed are basing that on November, not March.

Side note- when do nominations come out?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Julian2
#69Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 9:53pm

Grey Gardens: Open with "Entering Grey Gardens", intoduces the show and uses whole cast. Give Mary Louise Wilson a few bars of "Jerry Likes My Corn". Jerry leaves, she's alone, and segway into "Another Winter In A Summer Town".

The only problem is that something cheery from Act I might sell more tickets. In that case

Open with "Entering Grey Gardens", intoduces the show and uses whole cast. Edie comes out and says "Hi" and give a segway monolouge into the past and go into "Goin' Places". Edie and Joe share a kiss farewell after the song, and Little Edie is dragged back to reality by her mother's screams, followed byt a few bars of "The Cake I Had", and end with "Another Winter In A Summer Town"

Just some crazy ideas.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#70Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 10:23pm

Just because they are selling tix does not mean they have to stay open.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

neddyfrank2
#71Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/18/07 at 10:44pm

You have to remember that this thread is from November so that is why people thought it might have closed already. Nobody said that recently.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#72Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/19/07 at 12:56am

My guess would be that Spring Awakening would perform a medley of My Junk and Song of Purple Summer.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#73Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/19/07 at 1:40am

Out of curiosity -- what did the original production of Company perform at the Tonys, assuming that they performed?
Updated On: 3/19/07 at 01:40 AM

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#74Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 3/21/07 at 4:41pm

Well, considering that "Spring Awakening" will win Best Musical and Best Score and James Gallagher, Jr.(Moritz) will win for Best Featured Actor in a Musical, they will probably perform songs that showcase him, as well as possible nominees Jonathan Groff and Lea MIchele.So a medley including:
--The Bitch of Living
--Don't Do Sadness
--Mama Who Bore Me

Also, since A Chorus Line is going to win Best Revival of a Musical, I see a group medley, because Charlotte D'Amboise hasn't been a standout and Jason Tam and Deidre Goodwin will be nominated, they will perform their glitziest and most glamourous numbers, as well as the most tuneful. So a medley including:
--One
--I Hope I Get It

Les Miserables will perform a medley as well, including:
--I Dreamed A Dream (Daphne Rubin-Vega)
--One Day More

Company will want to show off Barbara Walsh and Raul Esparza since they both have amazing chances of winning. So a medley of:
--Company
--The Ladies Who Lunch
--Being Alive

I don't know much about the other eligible shows.

Videos