News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tony Performances 2007

VIETgrlTerifa
#100Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 12:46am

I know I'm in the minority here, but if Apple Tree does get nominated for Best Revival, I hope they let Chenoweth perform despite the fact that it's closed. All they need is her and a mic, and maybe a whip.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#101Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 12:48am

^Nah, they'd probably have her do the Passionella song.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#102Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:38am

"That would be really interesting if Company did 'Being Alive'. Odds are good that every other show with be doing the big, uptempo numbers, so Company will have a better chance of standing out to viewers. "

That's exactly what he said. He said that people are so used to watching 1 single performer perform a song (like on American Idol and such) that maybe just Raul and his piano would be best for them to do on television.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#103Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:52am

I'd rather see COMPANY doing 'Company'. Raúl is amazing, but it's such a brilliant ensemble piece that it would be a shame to not have everyone else there. But then, he does do the best 'Being Alive' I've ever heard, so I don't mind tooooo much.

SPRING AWAKENING should totally go for a medley. The best songs are 'Totally F*CKed' and 'The Bitch Of Living' because of the energy and having most of the cast involved, but I seriously doubt they're appropriate. 'My Junk' is the next best, but... I don't know, I just don't see it. Especially if Gallagher gets a nomination, there should be a medley, and it should include 'Don't Do Sadness' and finish with 'The Song Of Purple Summer'.

I'd like to see 'Show People' from CURTAINS. But then, I think it's becoming a little obvious by now that I'd rather see ensemble pieces than solos or duets when it comes to Tony performances. ^_^

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#104Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:58am

Yeah, I see CURTAINS doing "Show People"
its one of the biggest numbers, and very like Broadway-style

but if they wanted to show off Ziemba or Danieley or Pierce (if any of them get nods), they might always do like "I Miss the Music" or "Coffee Shop Nights" or my dream, "Thataway", maybe leading into "Show People"

who knows.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#105Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:01am

Which act will Grey Gardens choose from? I think Act 2 is obviously the more interesting act, but i think the music in act 1 was substantially better, especially "Will You"

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#106Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:03am

If Mary Poppins performs "Supercalifregilisticexpialdocious" or whatever it is...I might shoot myself.

And I have no clue about GREY GARDENS. I also prefer the music in Act I than in Act II. But they'll probably go with something in Act II.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#107Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:11am

I see no reason why SA should'nt do Bitch of Living, though they will more likely do Purple Summer. I really hope they dont do a medley. I hate those 'greatest hits of...' mini commercials.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Yankeefan007
#108Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:20am

Mary Poppins: Supercalif...
Curtains: Show People
Grey Gardens: Revolutionary Costume
Spring Awakening: Purple Summer

110: Rain Song
Company: Side by Side by Side/What'll We Do....
Apple Tree: None
Chorus Line: One

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#109Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:24am

If they do a combination of songs, it should be "The Bitch of Living" and "The Song of Purple Summer." "Bitch" will feature the two nominees. I would love to hear "The Song of Purple Summer" if only to hear those beautiful new harmonies they added after the cast recording was made.

~Steven

camach1
#110Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 12:46pm

I think Mary Poppins should do Step in Time since Gavin Lee is nominated it could showcase is performance more.And its also the best moment in Mary Poppins IMO.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#111Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 12:50pm

camach1-I agree! It makes more sense especially since Ashley was not nominated.

I would love for COMPANY to do a medely but it would need a lot more work and thought then was given to the SWEENEY one.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#112Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 12:52pm

I'd love to see some dancing on the proscenium.

~Steven

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#113Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 1:23pm

I'd love it if SA did a medley of All That's Known/Don't Do Sadness/Song of Purple Summer. With two acting nominations, I doubt they would only do Purple Summer a song featuring Lauren Pritchard.

Everyone knows Bitch of Living. I hope they don't do it.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#114Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 1:31pm

TOTALLY F*CKED might be fun but probably would not go over well with the network...

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

clarkstallings
#115Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 1:32pm

I have a feeling that Poppins will do something other than Supercali because we've seen that one paraded on all of the morning shows and talk shows and what not. I'm hoping for Step in Time. The step in time set would be easy to almost fully replicate for the Tony Broadcast but still be quickly strikeable.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#116Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:09pm

Bump so that we don't have multiple threads.

As I've already said, I hope it's true that Company plans to do "Being Alive." As much as I love Doyle's staging, the actor-musician concept takes (for me) a few minutes to get used to when it involves everyone moving around with their instruments -- and for the Tonys, they only have a few minutes. Plus, honestly, I really think that Raul's performance of the song should be preserved.

lawyerman Profile Photo
lawyerman
#117Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:37pm

i think Being Alive lacks any punch without the shows context... Raul does a great job but...

im hoping they do something like the opening number or Side by Side by Side- something that exposes the amazing supporting case so ignored by the tony committee. i know Walsh's Ladies Who Lunch and Laws' NOt Gettin Married dont make sense given the nominations but those would be the best moments in the show, inho.

broadwayfan3
#118Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:50pm

I'm 99.99999999.....ect....sure that Mary Poppins will be doing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Curtins- probably show buiesness

and a ?

why isn't Tarzan nominated for anything.....besides the fact that it's horrible

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#119Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 6:55pm

I hope Grey Gardens does Revolutionary Costume. It shows off the humor of the show. I also hope/think that Spring Awakening does Don't Do Sadness into The Song of Purple Summer.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#120Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:02pm

can spring awakening do "bitch of living" or are there problems with saying that word on live television? i know they can't do "totally f'ed" for that reason, but i don't know what television's rules these days are...

here is what i WANT:

mary poppins: step in time....and it really features gavin
spring awakening: bitch of living if it's allowed...otherwise, my junk
grey gardens: not really sure because there's no "show-stopper" other than "revolutionary costume." "another winter in a summer town is pretty..." basically anything christine ebersole does would be amazing
company: ANYTHING, but i like the the opening
a chorus line: well i don't think i need to say my opinion because it's pretty obvious what they will do hahah

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#121Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:08pm

lol, singing. Opinions aren't even needed on what ACL will do.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#122Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:09pm

Tarzan was nominated for lighting last yr. why would it be nominated again.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#123Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:11pm

"I'm 99.99999999.....ect....sure that Mary Poppins will be doing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."

I have to agree...they'll probably end up doing that because it's supposedly one of the most fun numbers in the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#124Tony Performances 2007
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:17pm

I agree with yankeefan that 110 will probably do "The Rain Song" because it involves pretty much everyone. I'd LOVE it if they did "Raunchy" though.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos