Does it matter anymore?
Like the Oscars and the Emmys (Grammys, CMAs, People's Choice, etc. really haven't mattered for quite a few years...), I'm content to read the list of winners online, the following day. I know that if the Tonys move to a paid streamer (like YouTube), I definitely won't even consider watching.
There are multiple options for "in the moment" updates if that appeals, but the Tonys have deleted the only reasons I used to have for watching: excerpts from both plays and musicals.
...and the musicals excerpts are SO overexposed from their daytime TV promotions that by the time the Tonys roll around, their appearance on the Tonys is pretty much a "been there, done that" moment for most viewers (IMO).
Awards show ceremonies (in general) have long outgrown any need, or benefit from being televised (again, IMO). Their content is most often available online within moments of broadcast, anyway.
Unfortunately, the only benefit I can (currently) see to live broadcasting is for moments like the Will Smith "Keep... my wife's... name... out 'tchyo mouth" slap.
Updated On: 9/16/26 at 06:54 AM