News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Xanadu

burntplains Profile Photo
burntplains
#1Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:51pm

Is there anyone else who thinks Xanadu is the biggest piece of crap to hit Broadway? We sat there and didn't understand how everyone thought it was so funny. Biggest waste of $60 spent in a long time.
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 08:51 PM

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#2re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:52pm

Ditto!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:57pm

Nope, pretty sure it's just you.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BNN
#3re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:59pm

I didn't think it was the most hilarious show I had ever seen, but it was the most fun I've had in a theatre in long, long time.

Tick Tock

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#4re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:02pm

No offense, burntplains, but what are you on!?! I think XANADU is pure genius!

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#5re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:05pm

Watch out burntplains, Medusa is coming for you.

burntplains
#6re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:07pm

Some of the music is fun but that's about all it has going for it... I look forward to the day it closes! I'm not picking a fight... I just strongly disliked it!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:12pm

I look forward to the day it closes! I'm not picking a fight... I just strongly disliked it!

^^^^^^^

I respect your opinion....but hoping for a show to close is not a good thing ... any show in particular...actors will lose their jobs.. and they do work so HARD for it--it not a nice thing to say-iMO.

J*

Updated On: 1/14/08 at 09:12 PM

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#8re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:16pm

What kind of show do you enjoy? I think Xanadu is terrific entertainment and does what a show is suppose to do, entertain. The music is great (about the only thing good the film had) and the actors are hilarious! A lot more entertaining than Young Frankenstein (but that's my opinion). I've seen it 4 times and the show is still fun and exciting.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#9re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:17pm

A little "camp" goes a LONG way for me.. but it was enjoyable.

It thought it was the best Off-Off Broadway show on Broadway.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#10re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:19pm

burntplains,
Agree! Maybe a new leading lady would help...Oh..and an ounce of taste, and a new....let me stop! Poor Broadway....

#11re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:23pm

i think anything that keeps Jackie Hoffman & Mary Testa's bills paid IS A GIFT FROM HEAVEN!!!!!!

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#12re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:24pm

If you dont like a show, it's your opinion - but there's no need to trash it, hope for it to close etc. without posing a reason for that opinion. If you didnt like the show, MOVE ON and go see one of the other 31 shows on Broadway or the numerous Off-Broadway ones.

lois128 Profile Photo
lois128
#13re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:25pm

"I respect your opinion....but hoping for a show to close is not a good thing ... any show in particular...actors will lose their jobs.. and they do work so HARD for it--it not a nice thing to say-iMO."

ESPECIALLY THE CAST OF XANADU!! Well, especially Kerry who went through a lot to get the skating right. It would be soo unfair if it closed since they've all worked so hard.
It's ok if you didn't like it but it's definitely not ok to pray for its closing.

Luvinbroadway: No need for a new leading lady!! DON'T MESS WITH KERRY!! :)

I <3 n69n

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 1/14/08 at 09:25 PM

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#14re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:47pm

Are you secretly a producer with a show looking for a theater? That would be the only reason I can fathom for the comment "l look forward to the day it closes!"

And on that (sad) day, what will you do? Dance, sing, laugh with glee, take the day off to celebrate, send out cards, hold a party, shout from the rooftops.....People are employed, many an audience member is delighted, lifted, filled with joy....whatever could be wrong with that.

Ed_Mottershead
#15re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:53pm

Exactly what were you expecting? High art? Come on, the show does exactly what it aims to do -- keep people entertained, happy and laughing. If you're expecting Eugene O'Neill, go elsewhere.

BroadwayEd

burntplains
#16re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:02pm

Mary testa is all the show has going for it... I'm entitled to my opinion without being attacked!

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#17re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:05pm

If you say something as harsh as "I hope the show closes" or "I can't wait for the show to close' you are going to get attacked on the boards. There are shows that I haven't enjoyed but I would never say they should close. If people enjoy a show, so be it.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#18re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:09pm

this is not an attack.

have you seen the film? are you familiar that it was a parody and that was the style of comedy you were going to get going in? because I find that people who research the show, or know how horrible the film was before going in have a great time, and others just don't get it.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

FuturePenny2
#19re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:30pm

i respect your opinion because maybe you're just the type of person who isn't in to that kind of show, you do have to admit though that the actors are fabulous you can say you disliked the show but you can't say Kerry and Cheyenne and Tony and the fabulous ensemble weren't good enough.

And please don't wish for a show to close.. people lose their jobs re: Xanadu lol.

He's so nurturing! - Penny Pingleton, Hairspray

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#20re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/15/08 at 8:49pm

I've seen it 4 times and the show is still fun and exciting.

Yes-I've seen it three and I'm going back for my fourth on Sun.
I love it-it's fun. A nice escape and I can't stop laughing!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#21re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/15/08 at 8:59pm

On our weekend trip last August we sandwiched Xanadu right between Chorus Line, which we saw Friday, and Color Purple, which we saw Sunday. It was great having such an enjoyable piece of "fluff" in the middle of more serious fare. We loved it!

It also helped that we watched the DVD of Xanadu on the plane ride to NYC. We were ready for it!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#23re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/16/08 at 5:46am

I feel the same way as you,tobiasragg. Xanadu rocks!!!

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

gymdudeva
#24re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:38am

I didn't think it was total crap, but I didn't like it. I totally knew what to expect re: that style of comedy, I understand what they wre trying to do as far as parodying the awful, campy movie, but I don't think it was well written. To me, the problem is not with any performances, or even the concept, but with the script. However, I thought the cast was very good and the songs were fun.

But if it makes lots of people laugh and have a good time, then may it never close! Chacun a son gout!

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#25re: Xanadu
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:16am

"I'm entitled to my opinion without being attacked!"

You haven't remotely been attacked. You've been criticised for the content of your message, which is what happens when you express an opinion around other people, particularly in a public forum of any sort -- people sometimes disagree and even go so far as to hold you accountable for the content and tone of your statement.

Videos