News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000

how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#1how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000
Posted: 11/24/07 at 9:19am

here is a union press release claiming there are 75,000 union jobs related directly to live entertainment, I ma sure none of these workers are happy about losing hater overtime to help workers how are out directly do to the strike of 355 stagehands

The only hope is all these union are pressuring the local one guys to make a deal before everyone starves

THIRTEEN BROADWAY UNIONS AND GUILDS FORM INDUSTRY‑WIDE COALITION:
COBUG EYES PUBLIC POLICY AND COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
TO PROMOTE BROADWAY

December 17, 2002

NEW YORK‑Thirteen Unions and Guilds collectively representing over 75,000 workers in the live entertainment industry announced the formation of a coalition to address issues of common interest to their members who work on Broadway COBUG, the Coalition of Broadway Unions and Guilds. The coalition represents all aspects of the Broadway theatre, from actors, musicians, playwrights, directors and choreographers, to set, costume and lighting designers, stagehands, ushers and ticket‑takers, box office personnel, wardrobe, hairstylists, porters, press agents and company managers

The mission of COBUG is to strengthen the position of every constituent union and guild within the industry and "to make our collective voice and concerns heard by employers, public officials and tire theatre-going public," said Anthony DePaulo, Business Manager for IATSE Local I, Stagehands, and Alan Eisenberg. Executive Director, Actors' Equity Association, who serve as COBUG'S Co-Chairs. The members are:

Actors' Equity Association (AEA)
American Federation of Musicians, Local 802 (AFM)
Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers, Local 18032 (IATSE)
Dramatists Guild
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, International (IATSE)
Makeup Artists Hair Stylists Union Local 798 (IATSE)
Motion Picture Projectionists, Operators. Video Technicians, Theatrical Employees & Allied Crafts, Local 306 (IATSE)
Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers (SSD&C)
Service Employees International Union, Local 32BJ Theatre Division (SEIU)
Theatrical Protective Union Stage Hands, Local 1 (IATSE)
Theatrical Wardrobe Union, Local 764 (IATSE)
Treasurers & Ticket Sellers Union, Local 751 (IATSE)
Untied Scenic Artists Local 829 (IATSE)

Broadway is New York City's top tourist attraction, generating billions of dollars (and tax revenues) for tourist related businesses like theatres, hotels, restaurants, and taxis; it is one of New York's largest employers, providing jobs and benefits for thousands of workers; and it supports numerous ancillary service industries. Almost 11 million tickets were sold in the 2001-2002 season; grossing $643 million dollars in revenue for Broadway producers and theatres.

The formation of the coalition is the direct result of meetings that began after September 11, 2001, when every union and guild took unprecedented; across-the-board pay cuts in order to keep a number of long-running Broadway shows from closing. "Like many citizens, our members demonstrated their commitment to Broadway and to the future of this city in a very tangible way," said DePaulo and Eisenberg. "Directly and symbolically, our members kept the lights shirring on Broadway during those very dark times and saved New York's mast important industry."

Meetings in the months following helped to shape a broad spectrum of interests and a shared, progressive agenda. Among those interests and goals are:

Advocate Public Policy which benefits labor and the entertainment industry
Build Positive Relationships with Civic, Trade and Employer Organizations
Collective Bargaining with Shared Employers
Promote Tourism and Broadway
Support Public and Private Funding for the Arts
Healthcare and workplace safety issues
Impact of New Media and Computerized Technologies on Live Theatre

"Significant attention will be paid to educating the public about the issues that we face at the bargaining table," added DePaulo and Eisenberg. COBUG members will share information about collective bargaining issues; starting with GSA Local 829's current negotiations and the musicians upcoming Broadway negotiations next year.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#2re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000
Posted: 11/24/07 at 9:39am

Well, I can't speak for all 75,000 people, but most everyone I speak to supports the strike lasting until a fair contract is reached. It is believed that if Local One were to give in to unfair demands, every union after will be forced to giving in to unfair demands next. It's not just the fight for the rights of 355, but for all who are in a union on Broadway.

Updated On: 11/24/07 at 09:39 AM

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#2re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:28am

glad to see your drinking the union cool-aid

bunch of sheep being led to the slaughter by 355 pairs of greedy hands.

what could the producers really ask from equity ? a small little cost saving, they need the actors ...they don’t need $45.00 per hour floor sweepers or 35 guys getting overtime while 3 guys fix a problem that deserve the OT ..or guys hired to load in a show that then do next to nothing for the entire run of the show

actors fear of them being next on the chopping block is misguided

get real, wake up and start asking the right questions of your union reps

ps the economy is in the tank nationwide and these 355 stage hands want to keep featherbedding the workplace

time to do my part to help the ring in sales at retail
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 10:28 AM

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#3re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ? ..my guess more than 75,000
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:31am

Maybe they'll want to get rid of stand-bys or understudys?

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#4re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:53am

"ps the economy is in the tank nationwide and these 355 stage hands want to keep featherbedding the workplace"

The economy is in the tank for the poor and middle class. The upper class is doing just fine. The money is trickling up in this country. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

Nobody's featherbedding anything. People are just trying to maintain a decent middle class wage without it getting frittered away. It kills me when I hear people say things like, "why should they have all these benefits when nobody else does." Why on earth would you want to drag people making a decent living down? Wouldn't it make more sense to drag everybody else up!?! It seems some people just can't stand to see anyone get more than they get, even if they deserve it.

People are so afraid there's not going to be enough to go around so they smack down anyone they think is getting more than they are. The thing is, there's plenty to go around. It's just all being sucked up to the 5% of the people in this country who control 95% of the wealth.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#5re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 10:58am

i love how people are using this to villanize (villify?) them when that's the POINT OF A STRIKE. The whole idea is that they are showing just how important they are and why they should have a fair contract... because broadway can't go on without them...

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

dreamz
#6re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 11:43am

billynj maybe when the producers decide to lower the price of there tickets for the public local one will give in a little. Talk about being greedy you tell me $200-$450 for premium seats is not greedy. When all you get are house seats for that price. As a Local 306 member and Local 32BJ in the theaters I am glad Local 1 is doing what they have to do. All the other unions in the theater are not as strong as local 1 if they gave in to the producers it would be downhill for all other unions in the business.

JimmyP2 Profile Photo
JimmyP2
#7re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:18pm

Wow!!

That averages out to over 2100 people per show. I didn't know it took that many people to make one show happen. No wonder tickets cost so much.

Insert witty comment here.

Boq101
#8re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:23pm

Billy, it's Kool-Aid...

Lynnespock2
#9re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 12:29pm

JimmyP2 - love the frog!

Billynj - thanks for the daily dose of bile. I am quitting my unionized job and going to work for an employer who hates unions. Hopefully, I can work unreasonable hours for low pay. I hear Bloomberg is hiring.

Wonder what you do for a living. Is it a job that has not benefited from the work unions have made in America for the working person?

And billynj, sweetie, it's Kool Aid. Your posts are always humorous because of your brilliant writing style or should I say lack thereof. Also, when you quote something, please give the source.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 12:29 PM

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#10re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:14pm

"waht could the prodcuers really ask from equity ? ...

actors fear of them being next on the chopping block is misguided"

What could the producers really ask from Equity?

1. No pay increase.
2. No contributions, or reduced contributions to the Health Fund
3. No contributions, or reduced contributions to the Pension Fund
4. Doing away with the 401K plan, or reduced contributions.
5. Unlimited Rehearsal time
6. Reduction of the number of Stage Managers need to run a show.
7. No additional pay for Understudies no matter how many parts they may cover.
8. No increase in payment for Understudies who go on for Principal roles.
9. Additional performances for no extra pay.
10.No additional pay for Dance Captains
11.Unlimited PR appearances.
12. Reduced Vacation/Sick Leave/Personal Days
13. Reduction of Over-Time
14. Reduction or elimination of Per-Diem when working out of town.
15. Elimination of minimum salary requirements for the Actors and Stage Managers.

There's my list of 15 without even cracking the rule book. There are probably 150 pages worth of Rules and Regulations in the Production Contract, I would imagine that The League and the Producers would love to pare that down.

Seems to me that someone may have had a sip or two of the League's Kool-Aid.

Billy, I'm assuming that you're not a member of any of the theatrical unions, and have never been involved in or directly affected by negotiations. Until you are, please don't tell the union members what's best for them, or assume that people have not been asking questions. Our lively hoods are part and parcel of these negotiations, we may not agree with everything that Local One is asking for, but it's my guess that the majority of the union members affected by this strike know exactly what's at stake.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

TheFriarsDruggist Profile Photo
TheFriarsDruggist
#11re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:58pm

"The whole idea is that they are showing just how important they are and why they should have a fair contract... because broadway can't go on without them..."

Actually, it could. It could go on just as easily with NON-UNION employees...

"I am the Phantom of the Opera! I'm the gayest supervillian ever! OoooOOOooooOOOoooh...Beware of my scented candles...OoooOOOooooh...Scented!"

Mooo
#12re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 1:59pm

BillyNJ

When the league loses this fight it certainly won't be because you haven't been fighting tooth and nail. I'm not sure how someone gets such a misunderstanding about how unions operate and how valuable they are. If people like you get their way you'll soon be working 7 days/week with no benefits for minimum wage.

I blame George Bush for all of this.......

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#13re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 2:34pm

"Actually, it could. It could go on just as easily with NON-UNION employees..."

Well, perhaps they could mount a production with non-union employees. But, how many tickets would it sell? You'd have to spend a decade or two building the careers of those non-union employees. Because you wouldn't have the likes, of Lupone, Lane, Broderick, Esparza, Menzel, Lansbury, Seldes, Bart, Chenoweth, Neuwirth, Stritch, Rivera, Ebersole, Langella, Plummer, Schriber, Redgrave, Kurtz, Cerveris, McDonald, Murphy, etc., etc., etc., to star in them, let alone the countless union members who appear in the ensembles. Nor would you have the talents of the set-designers, costumers, lighting designers, directors, choreographers to mount these productions. And then there's the staff, the Company Managers, Dressers, Ushers, Box Office employees, House Managers, and even the cleaning crews.

Yup, it can be done, no doubt about it. But, without the contributions of all these people, do you think it would be the same production, with the same quality that you are used to seeing? And would you still want to pay $125 to see it?

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#14re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 3:02pm

you know what all of this reminds me of, especially the part where I am snarkily told that I have been drinking the Kool Aid, despite being quite an intelligent human being who has come to his conclusions based on observation, research, and moral concious?

Life in America sinced January 2001 when the Bush/Rove/Cheney machine officially split this country apart.

It reminds me of people who think that if they say something over and over and over again, suddenly it magically becomes true.

and for anyone who thinks broadway would be better without unions, you need to open a theatre history book. or even just an american history book.

if you think the people who put on these shows you obsess over (hey--enough to be a member of a theatre message board) deserve to be treated like circus animals or slaves to entertain you, then I really pity what kind of a human being that makes you.

this is a business. but it is also an artform. it's a craft.

and for the record, I hate how this image has also made many producers look--sure there are some greedy, selfish people on that side of things, but there are many talented, kickass people. one of my greatest teachers was a famed producer.

let's not black and white all this. and let's remember that when it's all over, we have to go back to working TOGETHER.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#15re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 4:02pm

Joisy Boy is back! With thread # ??????

MaronaDavies
#16re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 4:24pm

Well said, artscallion and jrbactor.

Nobody likes being without wages, especially at this time of year. From what I've seen myself, though, there's a tremendous amount of support for the strike among the other unions. You'll see musicians and ushers and actors out there walking the line along with the stagehands.

And don't forget that the above list of unions doesn't include the theatre bartenders, merchandise sellers and listening device reps, who are also out of a job right now.

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#17re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:17pm

the whole thing is a farce, your own people dont even want to be striking....

PICKET UPDATE 11/20/07

PLEASE POST IN ALL WORKPLACES

Brothers and Sisters:

The first week of Picket Duty obligation for all members other than Full-Time Broadway crews ends with the last shift on Friday, November 23, 2007.

Saturday, November 24, 2007, begins the second week of General Membership responsibility. Other than members who are on disability, pensioners or 65 years of age, all members are required to serve. Each member must fulfill his or her responsibility weekly in this action.

Please avoid the mandated fine by fulfilling your duty.

We do not want to fine our members. We believe that if you understand the urgency you will gladly serve. Remember the fine will be assessed for each week that you do not serve. You are responsible for checking what your picket assignment is either online (www.iatselocalone.org last name and card number are your access to the members only side) or by phone (212-333-2500). Failure to do so will not avoid the fine.

The first week assignment is the theatre and time you must serve every week until the Executive board says to stop.

For Sunday assignments the schedule has been changed as follows:

The 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. shift is now 12 noon – 4 p.m.;

The 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. shift is now 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.; and,

Picket Duty # 7 is moved from Sunday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. to Sunday 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Picket Duty Number

Saturday 10 AM – 2 PM

Saturday 1 PM – 5 PM
4, 11, 13, 18, 25, 30

Saturday 5 PM – 9 PM
3, 10, 17, 20, 24, 27

Sunday 12 Noon – 4 PM
5, 12, 14, 19, 26, 31

Sunday 4 PM – 8 PM
7, 21, 28

In Solidarity,

The Executive Board
T.P.U. Local One

ALL MEMBERS SHOULD CHECK THEIR ASSIGNMENTS ON THE MEMBERS’ SIDE
ALL ST. JAMES ASSIGNMENTS MUST SEE THE PICKET CAPTAIN

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#18re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:27pm

"Actually, it could. It could go on just as easily with NON-UNION employees..."

so maybe it could... but it isn't and that's the whole idea. What would be the point of a strike if it had minimal impact?

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

etoile
#19re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:31pm

Billynj, do you not realize how so many of your statements make you sound like a fool?

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#20re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:45pm

its all about the Jim Jones Kool aide

MaronaDavies
#21re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 5:54pm

Actually billynj, it was Flavoraid, not Kool-Aid...if you're going to bring up your 70s mass suicides, at least get the details right...
Updated On: 11/24/07 at 05:54 PM

Lynnespock2
#22re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 6:00pm

Silly billynj, thinks unions are cults that would ask their memberships to die for them.

So glad this guy lives in nj and not nyc!

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

Mooo
#23re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 6:56pm

My name is BillyNJ and I am going to keep re-wording the same old garbage until people believe me. We all get the point. You are not good enough to work in a Broadway union so you'll say anything to discredit them.

I blame George Bush for all of this.......

Local_One2
#24re: how many Union Jobs are affected by the strike of 355 stage hand jobs ?
Posted: 11/24/07 at 7:04pm

BillyNJ,you are just jealous you don't make $150,000 a year.

Videos