News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ '9 to 5'

PiraguaGuy2
#125re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:45pm

At this point, I hope Ripley gets Actress. She's long overdue, and it's not really fair to reward a non-singer, non-dancer as a musical actress because she's great at deadpanning.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#126re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:46pm

I completely, wholeheartedly agree.

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#127re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 2:48pm

I think people forget how much more difficult it is to do comedy than drama. I think Ripley and Janney are definitely duking it out at this point. Could go either way.

"At this point, I hope Ripley gets Actress. She's long overdue, and it's not really fair to reward a non-singer, non-dancer as a musical actress because she's great at deadpanning."

I don't know what Ripley is like on a regular basis? But when I saw the show, her voice sounded...very rough. She missed many of the notes and sounded like she was straining on many others. Updated On: 4/8/09 at 02:48 PM

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#128re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 3:03pm

I emailed the 9 to 5 musical youtube page and they said the are posting sine like the sun on the site next week and they are going to do the cast recordin soon

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Yankeefan007
#129re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 3:08pm

lijay - may I remind you of Julie White, Jim Norton, and so forth?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#130re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 3:11pm

I also hope Alice Ripley gets the Tonys. She 100% deserves it.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#131re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 4:02pm

The rush seats were surprisingly fabulous. You miss nothing save for the back corners of the stage. I was all the way on the far right in row J and the only thing I really didn't see was the screen during the dream sequence. It's well worth the money paid!

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#132re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 4:08pm

YAY Shine Like The Sun!

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#133re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 4:25pm

Were there a lot of people in line for rush? When did you get there?

cryan71
#134re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 4:35pm

I'm excited about the changes made to the show from the LA version.

My two complaints were: too much reprising of 9 to 5 song and the Tattletales scene was totally unneccasry.

Did the show seem shorter than LA?

EveHarrington Profile Photo
EveHarrington
#135re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:01pm

"I'm excited about the changes made to the show from the LA version.

My two complaints were: too much reprising of 9 to 5 song and the Tattletales scene was totally unneccasry.

Did the show seem shorter than LA?"

Absolutely. 9 to 5 is now just the opener and closer, and Roz has that "5 to 9" song. And Tattletale is gone completely. The first act, which IMO felt a little long in L.A., now flies by with absolutely no down time. It feels MUCH shorter than it did in Los Angeles. The show feels more balanced (in L.A., the first act felt hours longer than the second), and much tighter.

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#136re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:08pm

I actually think someone who is not typically a singer or dancer who manages to sing and dance with ease and still bring an amazing comedic edge to the role...well, I think she deserves it even more for overcoming her non-theatre background.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

TimeSquare3
#137re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:13pm

Allison does have a theatre background.
http://ibdb.com/person.php?id=46839

luvbrdway
#138re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:16pm

I saw this in LA and loved it. They had a text message thing where they asked for suggestions, thoughts, etc. I requested Megan be given another song - a big song - but it doesn't sound like they listened to me. Darn it.

Does Megan still just stand there during "Backwoods Barbie"? Not that I have any suggestions of what she should do, but I somehow wanted her to move around more.

Also thought it was awkward for Judy's husband to be standing around during "Get Out". Did they change that at all? I was on the front row in LA - it was so awesome seeing SJB sing the crap out of that song.

One more question: Would you be comfortable sitting next to your mother in this show? Do they still have the two rather "raunchy" sight gags in the opening number? I admit it, I'm a prude.

I've looked through all six pages of this thread. I dnn't think there is one negative comment about this show. Is that some sort of record??????

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#139re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:20pm

Wouldn't be surprised at all of Block and Hilty get nominated for Featured vs. Lead. Either way, they are both wonderful in their roles and I'm so looking forward to seeing the show again on Saturday, April 25th.

Saw the show here in LA, and loved it.

Like any new show, changes are constantly being made to see what's working and what's not.

TimeSquare3
#140re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:21pm

I hope they re-inject Mundania.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#141re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 5:35pm

Yes, "Backwoods Barbie" is still a "stand alone" song. And it works that way...I don't really see how it could be a bigger number.

But Megan really gets her big show-stopping moment when she leads "Change It," a big ensemble number.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#142re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 6:00pm

Who are the new cast members?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#143re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 6:03pm

lijay - may I remind you of Julie White, Jim Norton, and so forth?

- Did you see I wrote rarely? Not never.

luvbrdway
#144re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 6:24pm

Glad to hear Megan gets to shine in "Change It".

I thought Kathy Fitzgerald was so funny when I saw it in LA. I'm glad she still has her 2 songs.

bardolator
#145re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:11pm

Really surprised they didn't replace instead of simply removing "Out of Control," especially as Marc Kudisch recently said that he'd just heard "a new song for SJB in Act 1" and liked it.

That takes Judy's "problem" song out of the equation (Doralee's is "Backwoods Barbie" and Violet's is "Around Here"). She still has her "solution" song ("Get Out and Stay Out"), but so do Doralee (the new one that replaced "Well-Oiled Machine," I'm guessing) and Violet ("One of the Boys"). Surely they wouldn't do that to solidify her as a candidate for featured instead of lead?

I'd really hoped to hear a new piece for at least Block and Hilty, I confess.... :)

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#146re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:13pm

Bardolator, I think her "problem song" is now "I just might" except she now shares the ending with the other women. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone...

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#147re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:14pm

As people with a theatre background should know is that a song like Backwoods Barbie would not have and would not need movement. The song is about the words, what she is confessing. Adding movement would take away from that..

Same with Judy's husband in Get Out and Stay out.. she tells him to stand there and take it. He tries to get away, she won't let him until she says her piece. It works, and is perfect artistically.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#148re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:50pm

"At this point, I hope Ripley gets Actress. She's long overdue..."

She may be deserving, and may very well win, but her resume does not warrant the phrase 'long overdue' with respect to a Tony Award. There are plenty of actors who've been on Broadway for MUCH longer, with MUCH more impressive resumes, but without a Tony. It makes me laugh to hear people talk about folks like Ripley, or Esparza, or even Block as 'finally' getting a Tony.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#149re: rOcKS @ '9 to 5'
Posted: 4/8/09 at 10:57pm

And while Janney may not have a musical theatre background, she has one more Tony nomination than Hilty or Block. Just saying.

I think we all know that musical comedy acting is more than a great belt and riffing. Many actors who originated roles in Sondheim shows, for example, would be considered non-singers.

Videos