News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm- Page 11

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#250stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:03pm

I can certainly agree with half of that statement.

Jason Bennett Profile Photo
Jason Bennett
#251stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:05pm

Ok, apparently this post was perceived as me promoting myself, which was not even slightly what I intended...The ONLY reason I mentioned anything about working with successful performers was to establish that I deal with performers' vulnerability and sensitivity all the time...and to give my thoughts context...But, I digress and I deleted the post...I should not have inserted myself in a conversation I wasn't a part of, and that's what I did. Sorry.

So, I'm going to try again below in a way that is not so troubling for some...

Sorry, I forgot the rules of message board land, having not been on one in a couple years...

I do recall how uncivil and nasty people can be in these forums.

Chillin' and teachin' acting and voice to muh Bway/Film peeps... (Betty Buckley is teaching a workshop for me at my school, check it out.)
Updated On: 6/10/10 at 05:05 PM

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#252stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

I find Capn tiresome and sanctimonious. Phyllis on the other hand is a doll, and I just adore Reginald.

Did Jason B. just use this thread to shill his studio? Puhlease.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 05:05 PM

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#253stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

This thread reminds me of the explosion of outrage when Laura Benanti (rightly, in my opinion) said in an interview that message board posters need to "get a life."

True then, true now.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Cabarob
#254stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:06pm

Why is it considered okay for gay men to use the word fag, but it's considered wrong for a heterosexual to use it? Speaking as a gay man with gay friends, I hear the word used constantly. Alice, as a woman who spends a lot of time around gay men, probably just became desensitized to the word being offensive by hearing it used constantly, and gave a mea culpa upon being informed of how offensive her actions were. I agree the word is offensive - but instead of protesting one person's slip, wouldn't it make more sense to start a movement to get (us) gay men to stop using the word? It's not like we don't have a plethora of words that are synonymous with gay that aren't nearly as offensive.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#255stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:08pm

Kalimba excepted, this thread is just getting more and more annoying.

bwayfascination
#256stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:11pm

A more general point for me is that if someone upsets you, for whatever reason, how does it help to make a public posting that says mean things about them. Whatever terminology you use in saying the mean thing, what benefit do you get from saying the mean thing in the first place? How are you better for having done that? That's what I don't get. It makes the world a nastier place, and society in general doesn't need any help in being nasty.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#257stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:14pm

Also, I'm pretty sure I don't have any nazi parts.

I like Almira admonishing people on the message board to get a life ... while posting it on the message board.

Who said Alice's gay friends use the fag word constantly?

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#258stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:18pm

That Jason Bennett post reminds me of one of my favorite lines from A CHRISTMAS STORY:

Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

Again, some people on this very thread have also successfully coached accomplished Broadway performers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

iluvtheatertrash
#259stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:19pm

I'm afraid Jason B. did just use this thread to shill... d'oh.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#260stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:20pm

I can't stop laughing at that!

Deep breaths... deep breaths...

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#261stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:22pm

Anyone who doesn't understand that ALL OF US have bigoted, tribal aspects of our psyche doesn't get it.

Also, anyone who keeps making comments like that clearly hasn't even read the thread, because I, for one (as well as others) HAVE acknowledged that sort of thing. But it's better to just make Alice Ripley a hero because she's a Broadway actress.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#262stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:23pm

All you Ripley apologists are a little late to the party.

She apologized kids. We accepted. Why are you choosing to make your comments now when even the object of your affection admitted she was wrong?

And also, try reading the thread before posting. I think you'll see that all your "points" have been addressed.

....but the world goes 'round

SonofRobbieJ
#263stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:24pm

This thread really does have a little bit of everything, doesn't it?

Last week's episode of GLEE was more comprehensible!

I kid! I kid! I love GLEE. Jonathan Groff, CALL ME!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#264stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:25pm

If you're reading this, thanks for the apology, Ms. Ripley.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Reginald Tresilian
tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#266stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:27pm

A part of me wants this to be over because, well, it is over.

But, god help me, and even bigger part (must this tribal part Jason B talks of) wants to see the collective meltdown that is coming.

I mean, good entertainment is good entertainment, Right?

SonofRobbieJ
#267stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:29pm

Mr. Midwest,

Is that a Sears Portrait Studio of Tom Wopat? If so, that is AWESOME!

And taz,

True. But I think the addition of Jason Bennett Studios is a bit like casting Ted McGinley in a later season of your sitcom. Show-killer.

Jason Bennett
#268stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:31pm

In response to this "controversy," I wrote an essay about artists' sensitivity and some critics' insensitivity:

"About Ms. Alice Ripley's Controversy and Simon Cowell"

It's located here, http://www.facebook.com/notes/jason-bennett/about-ms-alice-ripleys-controversy-and-simon-cowell/402545182973?ref=mf

I think that works...but maybe you have to be on facebook, I don't know...

But the suggestion that was my purpose was to promote myself here is...amusing.

Chillin' and teachin' acting and voice to muh Bway/Film peeps... (Betty Buckley is teaching a workshop for me at my school, check it out.)
Updated On: 6/10/10 at 05:31 PM

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#269stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:33pm

I still can't stop laughing! Every time I start to get a grip the words, "Hello Message Board World" pop into my head and I lose it all over again!

Can't... Breathe...

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Reginald Tresilian
#270stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:42pm

Jason, I would take issue with your opening with "Recently, Alice Ripley has been ripped to shreds."

Perhaps something along the lines of "taken to task" or "held accountable for" or "asked to take responsibility for" would be more accurate.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#271stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:45pm

Alice was nowhere "ripped to shreds".

Jason, since you couldn't be bothered to read what came before and decided to enter a conversation after it's mostly over please don't expect anyone to take what you have to shill say seriously.

Jason Bennett
#272stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:46pm

Cool, I appreciate the feedback!

Some of the posts I saw in multiple places definitely ripped her to shreds, in my opinion.

That was why I came on here...sorry for the abrupt entrance...

And I DO think she should take responsibility and be accountable...and she did and is.

Updated On: 6/10/10 at 05:46 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#273stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:48pm

Jason, seriously: a vicious attack? Hahahahahaha more like a snarky remark from a message board member. I do believe artists (and performers in general) need to grow a thicker skin. No one gets love and admiration from 100%. A performer I can't stand to watch is someone else's favorite. People I adore are despised by others. That is life. If you are putting yourself out there on the stage, you have to be prepared for both the good and the bad.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#274stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:48pm

Don't forget - we all have nazi parts!

Videos