News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm- Page 12

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm

Jason Bennett Profile Photo
Jason Bennett
#275stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:48pm

Certainly, SNAFU, I agree. I also believe we can all work to be more conscious, respectful, humble and loving.

Chillin' and teachin' acting and voice to muh Bway/Film peeps... (Betty Buckley is teaching a workshop for me at my school, check it out.)
Updated On: 6/10/10 at 05:48 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#276stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:51pm

Phyllis is that why I feel a little goose stepping down there?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#277stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:51pm

But I would agree that the anonymity of message boards encourages people to go on the attack in a way they wouldn't if they had to take responsibility for their words.

I'm afraid that's the nature of the internet world.

On the flip side, if someone in a moment of anger makes an unfortunate statement to the world, she may be asked to account for it.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#278stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:53pm

We're still on this shlt?

Don't you homos realize FUNNY GIRL is coming back?!

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#279stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:53pm

My little nazi part just gave Reginald a stiff armed salut!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#280stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:06pm

I returned from the doctor and just got caught up. I realized due to a slow internet connection and the speed at which people were posting, my last posts were a bit slow to respond. Glad to see the apology from Ripley, no matter what circumstances (strategic or sincere, though I'll put my faith in the latter), because it was the right thing to do and putting it out there officially reflects her engagement as a positive influence. But the lunacy that continues afterward is genuinely mystifying.

Oh, the percieved outrage some people have.

How is it "perceived outrage"? Because everyone has to be you?

I'm seeing more anger from a small group of queens about this than I saw in 8 years of Bush in office.

So, you don't read many threads then? Because if that is your idea of "perceived outrage", then your perception is WAY off. I'm not exactly sure how you managed to miss every thread that expressed outrage at homophobia, racist accusations, sock hunting, shill alerts, Republican bashing, unprovoked bullying (which is given a pass by mods depending on the target), and deer. I can only believe that your hyperbole must be some sort of joke, because there is no truth in it. but if it helps, we should probably strive to be as vocally complacent as you are about anything you feel is important, preferably in a smug and condescending manner. Just try not to act hypocritically offended or shocked when we do.

I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW THIS LITTLE INCIDENT BLEW UP LIKE THIS.

There are REAL FAG-HATERS to bring your little demonstrations to. Why Alice Ripley?

It's pretty much been explained countless times how this blew up. As for "Why Alice Ripley?", uh...because she said it, she's a Tony-award winning Broadway actress, she has many fans on this site, this is a Broadway message board, she dropped a "fag" bomb, this site and her fans are made up of a large number of homosexuals. I think the only incredulity that could possibly be involved is if we WEREN'T talking about it.

Why is it considered okay for gay men to use the word fag, but it's considered wrong for a heterosexual to use it?

Personally, I don't think it is ok. Other gay men feel differently, but they will immediately know my thoughts on the subject if they use the word around me. to me, that word will always be associated with hate and severe physical/mental damage, regardless of the person who uses it. And nine times out of ten, the person that uses it knows people feel this way and knows better than to say it. That includes gay men. If they want to use that word about each other, then they need to be prepared to be treated like any homophobe who uses it in hatred.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#281stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:09pm

Exactly bway.

It is obvious that Ms Ripley either reads these boards or decided to on that day. She lifted a post from this site and put it on another site where her few thousand "friends" could see it and then made the remarks she did. I have been reading all of the posts in support of her but why didn't this "brilliant" "nice" "not homophobic" person not contact the person who's post triggered all of this? Why not handle it privately? And why that particular post out of the very many positive and non positive posts about her? She may have had a "tribal" moment, like we all can have, but I think it went a bit further than it should. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#282stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:13pm

Ooooh, lets all celebrate with a thick, juicy wienerschnitzel!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#283re: Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:19pm

"I like Almira admonishing people on the message board to get a life ... while posting it on the message board."

BELIEVE ME... I SOOOOOOOOOOO include myself in the admonishing.

I understand that posting - for the most part - is waste of my time. I don't put myself in any "better than you guys" category.

I do, however, give myself credit for acknowledging - for myself - that it is a waste of my time and consciously trying to strike a healthy balance between time killers like this and my "real life."

I allowed myself a little fun here today because I voted and did some neighbor election canvasing.

I feel I've done my daily quota of "real life" stuff today. I always make sure I eat my veggies before I give myself any dessert.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 06:19 PM

Jason Bennett Profile Photo
Jason Bennett
#284Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:31pm

Quote: Jason, I would take issue with your opening with "Recently, Alice Ripley has been ripped to shreds."

I made a couple adjustments. Thanks for your feedback.

Chillin' and teachin' acting and voice to muh Bway/Film peeps... (Betty Buckley is teaching a workshop for me at my school, check it out.)

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#285Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:50pm

Why is it considered okay for gay men to use the word fag, but it's considered wrong for a heterosexual to use it?

Ask a black guy why he can say the N-word. We just can.

Jordan Catalano
#286Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:56pm

I am so sick and tired of people saying anyone who posts on a message board should get a life. How in the name of Alice Ripley is posting here any different than posting on facebook? And you Ripley-Tribers please don't try and tell me that it's different because on Facebook the people are actually your friends because coming from you guys that would just be laughable.

Almira, you have nothing to apologize for or any reason to try to justify your posting here just as I don't either. I posted a lot today because I had the day off of work and wasn't in the mood to do much of anything. You could have posted because you're at home with a cold. It. Doesn't. Matter.

If you can actually talk about people wasting their time or having no life because of talking on a message board you'd better damn well not have a facebook/myspace/twitter etc. account.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#287Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:00pm

I think this thread should be nominated for a Emmy in it's own category and win. You have laughter, sadness, anger, redemption, and everything that makes some good entertainment. I say Phyllis can accept the award on the message board's behalf.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#288Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:04pm

Jason, near the end of your Facebook post you say she apologized and means it. I am taking it you know her personally? We don't know if she actually wrote it, which was addressed earlier, and we don't know if she does or does not "mean it". We can only assume unless she tells us herself. My apologies if you do know her and know for sure that she meant what she said in her apology. I guess what I am getting at is that if you don't know her personally you can't actually say that she "meant it". That's kind of like fans who have met a performer at a stage door once or twice, follows that performer on a website like Facebook, defending that performer and saying he or she would never say something or he or she didn't mean it that way, as if they personally know. Just a random thought.

Just give the world Love.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#289Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:09pm

"If you can actually talk about people wasting their time or having no life because of talking on a message board you'd better damn well not have a facebook/myspace/twitter etc. account. "

Actually.. I don't have any of the above mentioned.

And, Jordan Catalano, I actually DO have to justify my time spent here.. not to you perhaps.. but at least to myself. Just personal choice.

As for "Get a Life"... I never said it. As my earlier post said, I was merely reminded of when Laura Benanti said it in an interview when asked about people posting on message boards about her.

That comment had the same explosive reaction the Ripley comment had. It hit some nerve in people.

In that earlier post I also commented that what Benanti said was true then and true now.

Sometimes when I read a thread that goes on and on and on about the most minor piece of nonsense, I sometimes think we...including myself... should maybe "get a life." At least a life big enough that minors offenses have only minor reactions.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 07:09 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#290Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:09pm

“but I still land on the side of gay people being able to use the word” (FAG)

Really?! So it’s not offensive if a black person yells n*?

“Of course, if Ms. Ripley had used the term "theaterfag" that would have been acceptable.”

Uh.. Okay then.

“But I would agree that the anonymity of message boards encourages people to go on the attack in a way they wouldn't if they had to take responsibility for their words.”

I agree, 100%.

And yes Mr. Matt. You are way late to the party…

“How is it "perceived outrage"? Because everyone has to be you?”

No, because that’s what I see…

“Why is it considered okay for gay men to use the word fag, but it's considered wrong for a heterosexual to use it?

Ask a black guy why he can say the N-word. We just can.”

Wrong answer.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Jordan Catalano
#291Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:11pm

Almira, I wasn't attacking you. :) I thought someone said that to you!

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#292Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:14pm

I thought *maybe* that is what you meant. Tone is sometimes hard to read.

I was really sweet of you to remind me that I didn't need to justify my posting here.

That was very gentlemanly of you... clearly YOU have a life.

Get a Life

Jordan Catalano
#293Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:16pm

Well since I got the puppy, I don't have much of one. lol

But honestly I still stand by what I said about people saying message board posters need lives. They're pretty much all hypocrites. The only person here who needs a life is TheatreDiva. What a bitch! Get a Life

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#294Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:19pm

Why do I want to break out with "BLACK BOYS" after Almira's last post?

Updated On: 6/8/10 at 07:19 PM

ElphabaGoodman
#295DefyGravity777 would be posting...
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:40pm

Hi there
This is a friend of Defygravity777. Defygravity777 would be posting in this thread but can't since she got banned because of all of this.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#296DefyGravity777 would be posting...
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:42pm

Jordan,

I'm writing this as I prepare to head off to the Goodspeed to design a new musical by one of the guys who wrote DREAMGIRLS.

My life is great! Thanks!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#297Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:42pm

Jason, near the end of your Facebook post you say she apologized and means it. I am taking it you know her personally? We don't know if she actually wrote it, which was addressed earlier, and we don't know if she does or does not "mean it". We can only assume unless she tells us herself.

Personally, I feel that if I assume she made the negative comments herself then I need to be willing to assume she made the apology herself. Ghost writing could go either way, so if I believe she didn't write the apology, then I have to be willing to accept she may not have thrown out the insults. But since it was all made under her name and her Facebook account, she's assuming the responsibility for all those statements.

And yes Mr. Matt. You are way late to the party…

Which is why I addressed that first. But if you believe it somehow requires further relevance, then you can start a new thread about it.

“How is it "perceived outrage"? Because everyone has to be you?”

No, because that’s what I see…

So why not just call it "outrage" if that is what you see? Do you also type on a "perceived keyboard" on your "perceived computer"? You implied that the outrage was disingenuous because it is regarding a subject that is of little importance to you. Or maybe I am just interpreting what you said wrong. If so, I apologize and would gladly welcome any clarification.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 07:42 PM

Jordan Catalano
#298Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:43pm

I love you Diva, you know that!

Trekkie2
#299Get a Life
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:56pm

Now that Entertainment Weekly has weighed in, we should all go to bed...
Has anyone seen this yet?

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Videos