Emotional Impact of Shows

chenothegood Profile Photo
chenothegood
#1Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:00pm

Alright so i was just reading an interview with Kyle Dean Massey on Broadway.com(http://www.broadway.com/Kyle-Dean-Massey/broadway_news/5031005) and at the end of the article he said:
"Anyone who comes will love it by the end, but our audiences are totally with us the whole time, and it?s so rewarding to meet them after the show. The other day, there was a girl in the front row who was literally convulsing with sobs at the end, and Bobby [Spencer, who plays the father] and I just broke down. There?s a wonderful energy that goes back and forth.?

I am just wondering if there have been any shows where people have been so affected emotionally while watching it and also if there have been shows where the way it effected the audience in a way altered how you felt about the show. For example I am almost positive that the girl who he is talking about was beside me at the show when i saw it, and she was literally convulsing, it was shaking my chair! but i found having her next to me in a way took away from the way the show effected me.

I donno i know this is kind of random but just wondering.

Spring Awakening 7.3.07!!, Wicked/ Rent 7.5.07!!, Legally Blonde 7.6.07!! The Color Purple 7.7.07!!, Gypsy 8.19.08!!, In the Heights/Wicked 8.20.08!!, The Little Mermaid 8.21.08!! Legally Blonde Tour 11.9.08!! Shrek 7.7.09!!, Blithe Spririt 7.8.09!!, 9 to 5 7.9.09!!, Next to Normal 7.10.09!!
Updated On: 7/30/09 at 12:00 PM

Leia947
#2re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:09pm

BEWARE OF SPOILERS IN THE FOLLOWING.............

In Rent, from the moment Angel dies to the very end of the show, I was a blubbering mess. Angel seemed to be the glue that kept the little group together and when he dies, you know things are going change.

And if West Side Story is done properly (and IMHO, the revival is not) after Tony dies and Maria yells, "Don't you touch him!".... complete and total mess. Just the anguish in her voice.... I could be fine up until that moment. Unless, of course, it's the current production, and Josefina Scaglione just sort of whispers it. Not the same.

In HAIR, realizing the person you want to live and make it in the world dies (Claude)... that just wrecks me.

"And I'm a grown up....I don't go on vacations....I go to Broadway." - dramamama611

"Even I think that's hot, and I'm a straight guy. If I ever become gay he is the reason." - Drunk Chita Rivera on Gavin Creel

"Leia947 is my theatre mamma, and I love her for it." - AndAllThatJazz22

SporkGoddess
#2re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:22pm

I would say the shows that impacted me the most emotionally were Aida and Miss Saigon. In both cases, it was the ending.

I never saw Parade, but I was sobbing by the end of the cast recording the first time I listened to it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 12:29pm

Spoilers for anyone not familiar with the show but I think most people here are. But just to be safe.

I wept through South Pacific in it's entirity. From the moment I heard the full orchestra playing that beautiful overture to watching them march off to join the water to when Emile comes home. I cried and cried. I'm not the loudest crier in the world so I just sat there with tears streaming down my cheeks. I wasn't convulsing or anything. I was on the aisle and I don't think I disturbed the woman on my right though I did happen to see a few tears on her cheeks as well. Heck, I teared up a few times during the taxi ride to Penn Station, waiting for my train, and on the train ride home.

And if West Side Story is done properly (and IMHO, the revival is not) after Tony dies and Maria yells, "Don't you touch him!".... complete and total mess. Just the anguish in her voice.... I could be fine up until that moment. Unless, of course, it's the current production, and Josefina Scaglione just sort of whispers it. Not the same.

For me what takes the emotional impact away from that scene isn't Josefina's acting but rather the fact that Tony is left lying there. When the Sharks and Jets carry him off together you feel the real weight of the scene and what has happened. That's my opinion anyway.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#4re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:00pm

^wait a minute, Tony isn't carried off at the end of the revival production? This is my favorite musical of all time, I was hesitant to buy a ticket because of Karen Olivo's attendance, now this? I don't think I will waste my money.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#5re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:03pm

wait a minute, Tony isn't carried off at the end of the revival production? This is my favorite musical of all time, I was hesitant to buy a ticket because of Karen Olivo's attendance, now this? I don't think I will waste my money

I saw it in DC and they just left him laying there. They may have changed it since then but I don't think so.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:07pm

I've never cried while seeing a musical. Half the time I wonder if the hysterical sobbers are doing it for the attention.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#7re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:08pm

I cried an awful lot during the revival of Sunday in the Park with George. just the opening notes make me cry, and both "Sunday"s always get me. and the way Daniel Evans gasped gave me chills.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 7/30/09 at 01:08 PM

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#8re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:19pm

LizzieCurry wrote "I've never cried while seeing a musical. Half the time I wonder if the hysterical sobbers are doing it for the attention."

Trust me, at age 52, I don't do much of anything 'for the attention'. But if I'm not crying by the end of a musical, to me it just wasn't a good show. It's not sadness that gets me going it's the poignancy that always moves me.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

broadwayjim42
#9re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:23pm

Rent--my daughter, my partner and I all lose it at the line "I should have died three years ago," at Angel's death and during the reprise of "I'll Cover You." At the end of the "last performance" film, I completely lost it when they showed Jonathan Larson's picture.

Title of Show--yes, it made my cry. I identified with that show so much...the whole vampire thing.

Metamorphoses--I can't remember exactly where--I think it was when one character was carrying another (one might have been naked) across the stage and I just lost it.

Next To Normal--it didn't make me cry but it hit VERY close to home...my mother suffered from serious depression in the last few years of her life and died after being suffering cardiac arrest an hour after an electroshock treatment.

Updated On: 7/30/09 at 01:23 PM

Mattbrain
#10re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:26pm

Left Behind in Spring Awakening made me want to cry when I saw it.

When I saw Parade at SpeakEasy, I was on the edge of my seat during the trial sequence just thinking, "He didn't even do anything. Leave him alone."

When I saw Ragtime at a regional theater in Norwell, I wanted to cry after the intermission.

I'm going to see Next to Normal next month and I just know I'm gonna be a mess by the end!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:27pm

I rarely have a visceral reaction during a show, but I am like the girl Kyle was talking about. I just sobbed and sobbed during Next To Normal-it came from someplace I wasn't tapped into and it surprised me.

I agree with Leia in that times there are certain lines or moments in a show that just get me. I usually lose it during Rose's Turn and I certainly did when Patti performed. She went somewhere primal and I just sobbed.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Leia947
#12re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:38pm

That, too, Eris. There is no connection over the destruction that the Jets and Sharks war has brought upon both gangs, and innocents like Maria (Tony, too, but he was in the gang) Aside from Karen Olivo's Anita, the whole production just left me cold.

Bettyboy, I know what you mean. And I knew what was coming in HAIR, but when Claude is being held up by the tribe and getting "shot" during "Ain't Got No" right before "The Flesh Failures", I lost it. And the reason I lost it was the way Gavin Creel sings "Ain't Got No" after each of the drumbeats/"shots". Full of pain. Even on the CD you can hear it. I tear up listening to that now.

"And I'm a grown up....I don't go on vacations....I go to Broadway." - dramamama611

"Even I think that's hot, and I'm a straight guy. If I ever become gay he is the reason." - Drunk Chita Rivera on Gavin Creel

"Leia947 is my theatre mamma, and I love her for it." - AndAllThatJazz22

husk_charmer
#13re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:41pm

When done right "A Chorus Line" will affect me viscerally. There's about three points, during "At the Ballet" on Bebe's verse, Paul's monologue and the finale where it just gets me.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

chenothegood Profile Photo
chenothegood
#14re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 1:54pm

"I've never cried while seeing a musical. Half the time I wonder if the hysterical sobbers are doing it for the attention."

See thats what i felt like it took away a bit from the show for me (during next to normal i mean) she was just a young girl well like 17 or 18 maybe and like i said she sobbed, but then at stage door she was the one that all the cast remembered and they all gave her hugs (well she only stayed for Kyle and Bobby) so i donno. Clearly she got their attention, and i mean the show was very emotional!

Now back to the topic, its not so much crying but when i go see a show and there is an exceptional cast and one of the leads comes out i just get so excited and a little teary! haha I dont know why it happens, but it happened when i saw Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit, and Patti LuPone in Gypsy, and for some reason Stephanie J Block in 9 to 5.
The only time i have ever "almost" cried from sad emotion was ***SPOILER*** when at the end of Next to Normal and Gabe goes up to Dan and says "Hi Dad" that part gets me! I teared up a little!

Spring Awakening 7.3.07!!, Wicked/ Rent 7.5.07!!, Legally Blonde 7.6.07!! The Color Purple 7.7.07!!, Gypsy 8.19.08!!, In the Heights/Wicked 8.20.08!!, The Little Mermaid 8.21.08!! Legally Blonde Tour 11.9.08!! Shrek 7.7.09!!, Blithe Spririt 7.8.09!!, 9 to 5 7.9.09!!, Next to Normal 7.10.09!!

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#15re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:03pm

I cried after both acts of the Sunday in the Park With George revival. It was so beautiful!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:03pm

I tend to tear up or cry when listening to cast recordings too, either because I remember that moment when I saw the show, or I am imagining it (if I never saw it).

I usually cry during Adam's final "Mimiiiii" on the RENT OBCR, during Jenn's "they'll be no more crying...not for meeeee" on the N2N CD, and during Josh Strickland"s "Everything That I Am" and "Youll Be In My Heart" from Tarzan. I tear up at several points during "Tell Me On A Sunday" with Bernadette Peters..."you dont know meeeeeee."

Anyway, the list could go on and on. That's why a good cast recording is a wonderful thing.

I actually get choked up on some of the 9 to 5 songs. They are very heartfelt and I think that the fact that Janney can't sing well makes them more endearing as she sings songs about overcoming obstacles. It's very moving.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Lumen2 Profile Photo
Lumen2
#17re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:05pm

I had viscerally visceral reactions in my viscera after seeing "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer". I cried, but for different reasons than you'd expect.

MrJNLong
#18re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:14pm

Ya, I know what you mean about audience members being distracting and taking away from what is going on on stage.
However, I myself kinda lost it (as much as a grown man can I guess) in Next to Normal. I don't think I made any noise or convulsive movements, but throughout lots of it things were just hitting me right and left. I remember specfically in "The Promise" and then throughout the last two numbers. Its the only time I felt uncontrollable tears runnig down my face. Kind of embarassing after the lights came up. re: Emotional Impact of Shows

One of my favorite theatrical experiences was when I saw the revival of Sunday in the Park last year. I was with a couple of my high school theatre students and my best friend and we were in the second row. We all loved the show, and I remember looking into Daniel Evans' eyes in "Finishing the Hat" and feeling something that pulled me into his struggle. Same with Jenna Russell in "We Do Not Belong Together" that kept me enthralled for the rest of the show. "Move On" got me a little tearey as I felt like they were giving me advice in my own life.
Now, what was cool about that was after the show was over, my friend went to wait in line at the bathrooms and we waited for her outside. I didn't realize the stage door was right there because no one was waiting for them, but out came Daniel Evans, and since I was waiting any way, I just thanked him for his performance. He then asked me if I was in the group on the 2nd row and thanked us for giving so much back to them as performers. He said that most people are falling asleep during the show or obviously not engaged with what was going on. He said that they could feel us understanding the show and giving our energy back to them. Michael Cumpsty and Jenna Russell then came out at separate times, asked the same question and made similar comments. It was super odd and surreal. They must have talked about it backstage or something.
Any way, did that have to do with anything? Is that what we're talking about? Sorry.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#19re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:34pm

My biggest emotional reaction to a show was when I saw Billy Elliot in London this past January, specifically during Angry Dance. My friend literally had to take me out to a stairwell during intermission to help me calm down because I was freaking out about my acting career and being able to survive doing what I loved. The reaction came COMPLETELY out of left field. It's so hard for me to judge the show by the merits of its material or construction just because my whole reaction to it is so blindingly emotional.

I also have a distinct memory of seeing my brother play John Proctor his senior year of high school. I was in eighth grade at the time and I SOBBED during the trial scene. Like, audibly. I think it was something about it being my brother. My tastes and ability to judge theatre were obviously that of a middle schooler, but in my memory his performance was EXCELLENT. I like to think it still would be if I saw it today. They taped it, and you can actually hear me on it.

Spring Awakening is the other show that comes to mind. I wasn't sobbing during Left Behind, but I did cry A LOT. Just not audibly.

Trust me, if I'm sobbing, I'm not doing it for attention. I'm doing it because I literally can't control the emotional reaction coming out of me. I love it in a way. I love crying in general, because there's something so purifying about it. But I LOVE when a show is so good--or at least some aspect of it is so good--that it can touch me in such a personal place. Every time I go to see a show, some small part of me wishes for that again.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#20re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:37pm

I've been listening to various West Side Story cast recordings lately, and for some reason the instrumentals during the dance breaks in America get me choked up. I think it's more of a reaction to how beautiful the music is, but then I get to thinking about what the song represents, and how we know what some of these women's lives will turn out to be. for some reason that really gets me.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 7/30/09 at 02:37 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#21re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 2:52pm

The single most emotional impact a show had on me was Irena's Vow. After that, it would be A Chorus Line, Les Miserables, and In The Heights.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

lisaatje009 Profile Photo
lisaatje009
#22re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 3:07pm

I almost never cry at shows. That doesn't mean that I'm never really touched by a show or performance, though. I feel it inside of me when I'm really touched by something. It only happened at one show that I was really crying..

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#23re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:05pm

Oh, and I always cry starting with "you will not touch him...don't touch my boy....." in Miss Saigon. Whether live or on CD, I just become a crying mess.

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#24re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:21pm

I cried at the end of "Gypsy" with Patti Lupone, but only because the battery in my digital camera went dead and I couldn't get a picture of her tossing an audience member into the orchestra pit because he burped during "Rose's Turn".