sutton foster Elphaba

#0sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:17pm

sorry if this has been discussed BUT i DID DO THE SEARCH and didn't find anything.
anyway. listening to sutton sing "astonishing" makes me cry every time. after hearing it again last night i couldn't help but think that she would be amazing as Elphaba. does anyone else think that? i doubt she would want to replace someone, but maybe if she originated in LA or London she would do it...well...she should at least be asked! i LOVE her voice.
and sorry if this is a discussed topic on the board.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#1re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 3:49pm

yea i think we've discussed every possible female performer being elphaba, yes this thread has happened before, but i dont care, Sutton's voice is amazing! and i'd love to see her do anything!

kelly0ann
#2re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 4:08pm

I see her more as Glinda.

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#3re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 4:20pm

she didn't really show off her operatic soprano in Millie, and I don't think she did in LW... does she infact have one? and she would also be ridiculously tall... they'd have to re-build the bubble... again. re: sutton foster Elphaba

that's a really big mic...

moowithme111105 Profile Photo
moowithme111105
#4re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 4:22pm

OMG!!! I would pay big bucks to see her belt out some of those songs!

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#5re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 4:45pm

she didnt do any soprano in Little Women

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#6re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 4:49pm

I could see her mor as elphaba, but idk. I like her more in the wholesome, fun loving, adventure girl----although she was phenominal in Les Mis---by FAR the best Eponine I have ever seen.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

PJ
#7re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:05pm

Sutton jokes that her upper register is there, but "it ain't pretty." Or at least, that's what she said at Broadway Unplugged this fall during her duet with Marc Kudisch. They sang "Anything You Can Do" and during the "I can sing anything higher than you," Sutton hit the note in "can" but she really had to reach. But she at least made a joke of it. In fact, now that I remember, the whole number was a laugh riot because they both forgot lyrics and had to restart the song at least twice.

And as far as her in Wicked: I love Sutton and even I think she should avoid Oz.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#8re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:11pm

i think she could pull it off-
hell it could be a millie reunion
gavin creel as fiyero
harriet harris as morrible

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#9re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:24pm

That is why i love her--She knows that she isn't the perfect little miss broadway, but in just admitting that---she really is.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#10re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:44pm

I think no one should play Elphaba.....

i just thought of Love!Valour!Compassion! they can update it now "A Wicked were Elphaba really does melt and never comes back to life"

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#11re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:45pm

lol

Hahahaha

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#12re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:53pm

"she didnt do any soprano in Little Women"

Really? She didn't? Maybe you fell asleep during that high note at the end of "Could You?"

Anyway. I see her more as an Elphaba than a Glinda. And I don't see why people think she doesn't "fit" the role. She most certainly does. She'd just be a more unique choice, especially when people have the Idina Menzel type engrained in their minds.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#13re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 5:56pm

I think Sutton would be quite good as Elphaba. But it wouldn't be a good career move. She should be originating roles, not stepping into them.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#14re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 6:30pm

"Really? She didn't? Maybe you fell asleep during that high note at the end of "Could You?" "

Yeah, but that's, like, one operatic "oh". Not lyrical singing, ya know?

I'm sure Sutton would be a great Elphaba, but I'd rather not see her there. That and her cheekbones and razor sharp enough to be Elphie, IMHO.

That said, I adore the woman. The End.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#15re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 6:38pm

If the producers of Wicked have ANY sense, they will search high and low for unknown KNOCKOUT talents for all roles in Wicked. At this point anyway, they don't need names. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they used their popularity to launch the careers of a new group of broadway stars?

". . . POP . . ."

BroadwayGirl107
#16re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 6:41pm

I agree, Hanna. Along the lines of what freeadmission said, I'm sure Sutton would be great, but I'd rather her NOT go there.

It WOULD be nice if Wicked launched the careers of some unknowns.

#17re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:00pm

i agree she should only be originating. she is too brilliant in my opinion. BUT..should she ever do a solo album, i'd really love to hear her to Defying Gravity because i think it would be incredible!

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#18re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:12pm

Wait 'til you folks see her in Drowsy Chaperone...you're gonna LOVE her ("I don't wanna show off no more....")though her part is not as big as it could be....she is a sweetie at the stage door too!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:36pm

Isn't that what Wicked has done so far though?

Menzel was hardly a household name before Wicked. Shoshana Bean was a standby who was bumped up, and she's suddenly a star too. They plucked Espinosa away from Disneyland to do Elphaba.

It's not as if they're casting big names in that role.

That being said, I'd like to see them do what Piazza did and pull some recent college graduate into the show.

BroadwayGirl107
#20re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/27/05 at 10:39pm

Sort of adam, but casting Foster would hardly be launching the career of a unknown. She's definitely not an unknown...

o_kheem_o
#21re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 12:52pm

Oh oh oh oh!! i'm an unknown! pick me mr. producer!

...to whom much is given... much is expected.

"what you've got, is like... the rain. It just... happens. All you've got to do is dress for the occassion..."

moowithme111105
#22re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:04pm

So, is Sutton an alto, or soprano, i'm kinda new at the singing stuff, so i'm not joking.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#23re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:40pm

She was part of the ensemble at one point.

But yeah, I don't think she has the Elphaba voice. Her voice is vastly different for the voice needed. A Glinda could be possible, but then again I don't think the voice or character is there for her.

She's better at creating powerful and amazing roles.
Updated On: 12/28/05 at 01:40 PM

moowithme111105
#24re: sutton foster Elphaba
Posted: 12/28/05 at 1:45pm

So... is she alto, or soprano?