pixeltracker

Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes

Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#0Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 1:24pm

ok... so I'm bored.
Being a huge band dork, I always focus a lot of the orchestras in shows.... so my appologies if this has been done before, but what are your favorite overtures/entr'actes (basically instrumental stuff)?
I'll start:

Overtures:
Oklahoma!
The Music Man
Chicago
Gypsy
Millie (forgot that at first!)

Entr'Actes:
Cabaret - I just love that sax solo.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/16/04 at 01:24 PM

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#1re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 1:32pm

I agree with you about the Cabaret entr'acte. I've always been a sucker for the Phantom entr'acte too. Ooh... LSOH has a good one too.

For overtures, I love 'em all...
Follies, Millie come to mind first.

Hamlet's father.

broadwayguy2
#2re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 1:32pm

Gypsy overture

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#3re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 1:45pm

The Producers (OBC Recording)
Gypsy
Urinetown
The Full Monty

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#4re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 2:20pm

"Merrily We Roll Along"
"Mack and Mabel" and
"Candide" "Candide" "Candide"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#5re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 4:36pm

Fav Overture: Phantom- It always gives me chills!

Fav Entr'acte: Cabaret- I love listening to it!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 4:40pm

Don't make fun of me, but I am actually a fan of the overture to "Annie". I know, it's sad.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 5:02pm

Favorite Overture: POTO, i think its gorgeous
Favorite Entr'acte: Cabaret - its amazing!!

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 5:17pm

Cabaret - Great Entr'actes into Act II
Mamma Mia - AHHHH! They played the Entr'actes into Act II soooooo loud in Toronto ..... scared me but good start to
Seussical - Great, explosive overture to a great show

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 6:41pm

Overtures

1. It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman
2. Baker Street
3. Hallelujah, Baby
4. Golden Rainbow
5. What Makes Sammy Run
6. Fade Out Fade In
7. Dear World
8. Bajour
9. Grind
10.Mame

Poster Emeritus

jesseeinstein
WickedTenor Profile Photo
WickedTenor
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 7:58pm

The Top 5 Overature Bests:

WICKED: Definately #1, This overature is powerful and spellbinding. Score is powerful, loud, and unfolds a magical and beautiful world of OZ. It is rythmicly different every few bars and makes just about the best opening to a musical I have ever Seen!!!!It is accompanyied by the movements of a fully operational mechanic dragon and a giant witches hat which dissapears in a puff of white light and smoke...

How To Succede in Buisness without Really Trying: Just an Awesome score, gives the listener that hoeky 1970's Office Settng, and creates a powerful and fortune savy feel to a busy opener and a grand fly in from the window washer crane.

Hairspray: Absolutely Dead on for the style of the musical. It is bright, loud and it gives you a really classic 60's feel while you are waiting.

West Side Story: Bernsteins Score detalies and foreshadows everthing to come in the Musical. It is amazingly and hauntingly written for this tragedy. Updated On: 2/16/04 at 07:58 PM

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 8:09pm

Overtures: Seussical and Chicago

Entr'actes: Cabaret

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 8:35pm

I like Roxy's list the best. ("Golden Rainbow!" A lost guilty pleasure. I still remember Edie's numbers in particular.) But nobody writes (wrote) an overture like Jule Styne, nobody -- are there better ones than "Gypsy," "Funny Girl," and "Hallelujah, Baby!" The last is an underrated score, and I'm glad Roxy mentioned its overture, because it's one of the great, classy, emotion-tinged ones of a great era.

But those of you who mention "Phantom," "Hairspray," and "Wicked." Sorry, those shows don't have overtures. The brief stabs of music at the top may be dramatic and effective preludes, but no, not overtures. "Wicked" doesn't come close, and to me, it's too bad. It's a versatile score that could use one to sell it--to promise the richer fun ahead. I think its far too dark "Sweeney Todd" styled start is wrong, tonally. It's a musical comedy, and we should hear that it is. The little discordant chunk of "No One Mourns the Wicked" after a few brs of the "unlimited theme" does NOT an overture make. If anything, it sounds more like the music behind the main titles of a film, not a theatrical start. (And don't scream, Wicked folk; I'm a fan of the Schwartz score.)

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/16/04 at 08:35 PM

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 8:42pm

Mamma Mia gives me chills for some reason. It's a great way to start the show.

The AIDA overture is hardly an overture because it's so short, but I really love it. It showcases each of the different styles of music the show has. Yeah, that gives me chills too.

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 8:44pm

Gypsy and Nine for favorite overtures.

PJ
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:11pm

Favorite Overture: Gypsy
Honorable Mentions: Millie, Chicago

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:36pm

Apart from the usual suspects (Candide, Gypsy, Funny Girl, On the Twentieth Century), I think Phil Lang wrote most of my favorite overtures.

Consider:

Li'l Abner
Jamaica
My Fair Lady
Take Me Along
Carnival!
Camelot
Subways are for Sleeping
Jennie
I Had a Ball
The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell of the Crowd
Mame
How Now, Dow Jones (Yes, it has an overture, and it's great)
Applause
Sugar
Mack & Mabel

I'm also partial to the Overtures for Wildcat (Robert Ginzler/Sid Ramin), Little Me (Ralph Burns), Promises, Promises (Jonathan Tunick) and No No Nanette (Ralpb Burns).

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:39pm

The two shortest but "Biggest" overtures that I love are Aida and Mamma Mia.... I amways get chills when there is a huge drop.

Hamlet's father.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:47pm

Magruder, bravo. Another great list. P. Lang was the best. Sugar -- not a great Styne score -- has a damned catchy overture. And Applause, not one of the better Strouse scores -- has an infectious one.

Those of you who keep citing "Mama Mia" and "Aida," trust us, you haven't heard overtures. Those are preludes. Sample from Roxy's or Magruder's list. Overtures don't really exist anymore, and it's too bad. Even Sondheim wrote at least one legit one -- for "Merrily We Roll Along."

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LadyGuenevere
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:56pm

(I'm putting on Mamma Mia anyway re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes )

Fav overture: Mamma Mia, Into the Woods, Camelot

Fav entr'acte: Mamma Mia, definitely! I love it!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 9:58pm

Some other great overtures:

GOLDILOCKS
ANKLES AWEIGH (segues into 'Italy', the most enjoyably awful opening number ever)
REDHEAD
SOUTH PACIFIC

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Mattio98
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/16/04 at 11:55pm

Overture: Gypsy, Nine, Chicago, Jekyll & Hyde

Entr'acte: Gypsy, Cabaret

CJR
#23re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 2/17/04 at 1:03am

Overtures: Bells Are Ringing, Urinetown, Chicago
Entr'Actes: Chicago, Cabaret

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

neddyfrank2
#24re: Favorite Overtures and Entr'Actes
Posted: 12/29/06 at 1:38pm

Mack and Mabel