Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#0Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:45pm

Acting coach of the stars Ivana Chubbuck who has helped, Charlize Theron, Terrence Howard, Catherine Keener, Halle Berry, Jake Gyllenhaal and many others has said great things about coaching Beyonce.

"And I'm saying this about Beyoncé right now. I would be surprised if she's not going to be heralded and given accolades for her performance; she's really just profound in this."

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,1721557,00.html

I hope this is a positive sign.

sondwisenheimer Profile Photo
sondwisenheimer
#1re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:47pm

I think she'll be perfect. It's the one piece of casting for this film that made absolute sense to me the second I heard it. I hope they do the piece justice.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#2re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:50pm

I agree. If she completely grasp who Denna Jones is I dont see a problem. Plus with a great director I doubt she will hurt the film.

soapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
#3re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 8:13pm

I really want this to be good. There was times she made me cringe while watching pink pather. I can't wait to see this.

I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.

neddyfrank2
#4re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 8:18pm

soapguy- I feel the same way. The buzz around this movie has been so big, that I really really want this movie to be fantastic.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#5re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 8:21pm

"There was times she made me cringe while watching pink pather."

Yeah I feel the same way, but I also know she had not had an acting class before that with a real coach. Plus alot of people who are great in some things make me cringe in others. (Nicole Kidman, John Travolta)
Updated On: 6/19/06 at 08:21 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 8:28pm

Honestly, I just hope the expecations aren't too high for her, or the movie itself.

When Beyonce's acting coach, a VERY reputable acting coach, is already saying in an interview that she's going to get an Oscar nomination for her work in Dreamgirls, people tend to respond with, "Oh, yeah? You better SHOW me your stuff."

I have no reason to think that she won't be great in it... but critics will be ready to jump on that kind of "buzz" talk. It's almost an overreaction in the wrong direction. If she's not completely Oscar-worthy then it's a big disappointment, and she must be "crap."

I will settle for good, solid acting work from her. There have been plenty of wonderful performances on screen that haven't gotten "the gold." Plus she's sharing the limelight in this story with Effie, in a love triangle with Curtis. I hope it's balanced among the three leads, and not The Deena Jones Show. But that part is in Condon's hands, and he knows what he's doing.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#7re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 9:03pm

well said best12bars. Oscar really means nothing. The list can go on and on of people who deserve oscar over others. Excellent work is excellent work and a gold man means nothing.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#8re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 9:04pm

I think she'll do well. Not only is she being coached with one of the foremost acting coaches in Hollywood (along with Larry Moss), but this seems to be a perfect marriage between actor and character.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#9re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 9:15pm

She almost is the Denna, I mean really is there a destinys child? No just Beyonce

actornate777 Profile Photo
actornate777
#10re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/19/06 at 9:51pm

Yeah, Beyonce has basically lived the life of Deena Jones with Destiny's Child and stuff, even if it was a little more of her own ambition versus other people pushing her (who knows which made her go solo). I'm really excited about this movie and am so happy with the director and the casting of the three leads, especially that they chose Jennifer Hudson. Hopefully her acting will be as strong as her voice. I can't wait for this film! I hope it will show up some of the other movie versions of musicals that have been produced in the past couple of years...

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#11re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/20/06 at 11:46am

I hope she does well but ive hated her in everything else she was in(shes a walking plank of wood)but hey maybe this role will be her chance to show what shes got

Jenifer has a huge task as she gets the big moment in the show i pray she does well

icantbelive
#12re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/20/06 at 11:48am

She's a triple threat so she should be great! I'm worried about Jennifer Hudson. Can she act?

LostLeander
#13re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:17pm

I'm more concerned with this becoming Beyonce-fest, good acting or not. I know Condon knows what he is doing, but I'm afraid that since they have such a big star in Beyonce that they're going to considerably beef up the part of Deena.

She's never been the compelling character, and the show is clearly Effie's.

It sounds to me like they're going for more of an equal Velma/Roxie thing. That'll mean adding some songs for Deena. And I've never been a fan of added movie songs. Except in the Cabaret movie.

What I'm really hoping for is that they're just marketing it as Beyonce being the lead, but still keeping Effie as the star. I understand that it's a movie, and that alterations need to be made, but can you have ballbuster songs like I Am Changing, One Night Only, and that other song she sings, and not have her as the protagonist of the story?

I'm sure the movie will be great, whatever they do, because they've got some FIERCE voices singing this amazing score, but I want it to be more than great.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:38pm

"Who's Destiny's daddy?"

".......God."

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#15re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:53pm

Kathie Griffin owns me. You rock Borstalboy.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#16re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/22/06 at 3:16pm

Kathie was hilarious for that one

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#17re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:57pm

I think Beyonce as Deena is a great marraige of actor and character. It seems that the role of Deena has been beefed up a bit but I think this is still going to be Effie's story. I have 100% belief in Condon. Anyone hear speculation or solid answers as to when a first trailer in theaters will be released with more than the "Dreamgirls" song performance?

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#18re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/22/06 at 5:22pm

I second the worry about Jennifer Hudson. I love her and just hope she can TEAR IT UP on the screen, as they say.

And Anika? You know This Ain't No Party will be something to remember!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#19re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/22/06 at 6:54pm

I thought Ain't No Party wasn't in the movie?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#20re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/23/06 at 1:23am

What? That's news to me. No way! Okay, I call an official protest. Official!

Jon
#21re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/23/06 at 5:57am

Well, she was horrendous in Austin Powers:Goldmember.

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#22re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:08pm

But her wig stole the show!!

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#23re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:37pm

"Well, she was horrendous in Austin Powers:Goldmember."

Nothing amazing but horrendous? I dont think so. Jessica Simpson and Jessica Alba are horrendous. And Alba has has acting lessons.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#24re: Beyonce's Acting in Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:57pm

Beyonce wasn't anywhere close to "horrendous" in the Austin Powers movie.

All you have to do is watch one night of prime time TV to see TRUE horrendous. In fact, she was Meryl Streep compared to the mugging and overacting we get in our homes from the networks on a nightly basis.

I thought she was decent enough in the (so-so) comedy/spoof. No better... but no worse than anyone else in those movies.

Reality check, people.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/23/06 at 12:57 PM