pixeltracker

Best Writing on a TV Series- Page 2

Best Writing on a TV Series

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#25Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 9:28am

"Breaking Bad" and "Hannibal" are exquisitely written.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#26Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 10:51am

I agree about all but the last season of Roseanne.

The episode of the death of Roseanne's dad is beautifully written. It still makes me laugh out loud and tear up at the end. Both Barr and Metcalfe won Emmy's for that episode.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 10:55am

Mary. Tyler. Moore.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#28Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 2:32pm

Mary Tyler Moore
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Good Wife
Will & Grace
Family

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#29Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 5:32pm

Don't think I've seen Arrested Development mentioned, so I will.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#30Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 5:42pm

doodle - that was one of the best Roseanne episodes, to be sure. Roseanne really grew as an actress over the course of the show, too.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#31Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 8:22pm

I've been slowly rewatching Family (which Carlos mentioned,) and it really is heads and shoulders above any other domestic drama I can think of from its time. Of course ithas a great pedigree of writers (many of whom only wrote one or two episodes--apparently their writing room didn't work like most modern ones,) and indirectly led to the superb Herskovitz/Zwick domestic dramas (thirtysomething, My So-Called Life and Once and Again) since they met writing on the show. It's too bad only two seasons are on DVD. The "gay" episode must have been mind blowing in 1976 (or '77?). Yes it comes off as a bit ham fisted, but it's also honest and moving (of course the gay best friend apparently never returned to town, but...)

I have a hard time comparing, say, some British dramas (which are almost always written by just one writer and have short runs,) and cable dramas from the modern era (which is a somewhat similar situation,) with network shows from the 70s or network shows from the past ten years. The way TV is written and produced is just so different in all of those instances, it hardly seems fair.

EricMontreal22
#32Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 8:26pm

Here's a link to the "gay" Family episode, Rites of Friendship from its first full season (it had a short "try out" season the previous spring--with a different older daughter as she was replaced by Meredith Baxter.) Yes, as I said a lot of it does seem TV drama of its time obvious in retrospect, but still the acting and writing, and the subject matter, is pretty astonishing for a 1976 American network tv family drama (I don't think The Waltons ever touched this.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6KTaV_WIs

Alessio2
#33Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/18/14 at 9:54pm

I also agree The Good Wife, imo is probably the best show currently on television. The writing has remained consistently top notch throughout all six seasons!!

After Eight
#34Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 12:07am

"I've been slowly rewatching Family (which Carlos mentioned,) and it really is heads and shoulders above any other domestic drama I can think of from its time."

How many do you know from its time?

I recall it as heavy-handed, sanctimonious, and just about unwatchable.

"the superb Herskovitz/Zwick domestic dramas (thirtysomething,"

"Superb," you say? Thirtysomething, "superb?!?! " You've got to be kidding. Tell us, please, that you are kidding. That thing was absolutely ghastly, and obnoxious beyond belief! The age of narcissistic navel gazing ushered in with a vengeance.

Oh, for the days of Our Miss Brooks and December Bride!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#35Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 12:16am

Jesus Christ.

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#36Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 1:28am

Not an all-time great, but a new favorite... has anyone else been watching Bojack Horseman? Very funny, but can get pretty dark.

Gothampc
#37Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:48am

"is pretty astonishing for a 1976 American network tv family drama (I don't think The Waltons ever touched this.)"

No, but Little House on the Prairie would have. For a family drama (set in the 1800s no less), they went way out there. Rape, pedophilia, menopause, drug addiction, infant death, women's rights, racism. I think the only issue they didn't tackle was gay rights.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#38Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:56am

"Superb," you say? Thirtysomething, "superb?!?! " You've got to be kidding. Tell us, please, that you are kidding. That thing was absolutely ghastly, and obnoxious beyond belief! The age of narcissistic navel gazing ushered in with a vengeance."

This is actually one of the reasons I posted the question.

I think when we see an original show, we're watching it in the current culture norms. Only with distance can you really tell if the writing is good enough to stand the test of time. And thirtysomething proves this.

I remember watching thirtysomething during its original airing. It was a show that everyone would talk about at work. I revisited it a few years ago and was shocked at how narcissistic it was. Hope and Michael standing over the crib of their newborn baby saying they hope it wouldn't grow up to be ugly. Ellyn having a meltdown because she was afraid Hope wouldn't have enough time to be her friend with a new baby. I had thought that the show was better than that and realized it wasn't as great as I thought it was. But it was a series that was trying to capitalize on the frenzy of St. Elmo's Fire.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

#39Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 11:44am

Sherlock

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#40Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 11:49am

The Good Wife
Parenthood
The Sopranos
Judging Amy
NYPD Blue
Law and Order ( the Jerry Orbach years)
Little House (before Mary lost her sight)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
I Love Lucy

EricMontreal22
#41Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 1:43pm

That Little House rape episode traumatized me (and many) for life.

I dunno, I think thirtysomething, the later seasons especially hold up--for me (though I think overall the writing for Once and Again was better.) I will say when I watched it for the first time a few years back (I was too young for it when it aired originally,) the early episodes are *exactly* what its critics complained about. The pilot in particular is cringe inducing, but--again for me--it found its footing pretty quickly.

Maybe I need to watch Our Miss Brooks. Can I borrow your kinescopes, After8?

After Eight
#42Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 4:22pm

"I revisited it a few years ago and was shocked at how narcissistic it was. "

I found it as such the minute it aired. Appalling!

"Maybe I need to watch Our Miss Brooks."

Don't bother. It's definitely not for you.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#43Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 5:05pm

Six Feet Under, warts and all. Best final episode of any TV show ever.

EricMontreal22
#44Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 5:52pm

I feel like I'm missing out with Our Miss Brooks Best Writing on a TV Series

SFU is up there for me too, despite some seasons that felt directionless.

A8 aside from coming on here to hate on my choices, what are yours? (I mean aside from Our Miss Brooks...)

In thirtysomething's defense, by the time they got midway through season 1 I feel they also knew that the yuppie characters were not totally sympathetic--they were warts and all characters, not characters the writers thought audiences should agree and completely relate to.

Oh I found an Our Miss Brooks episode! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAb_xYzcKFY&list=PLAACB872395737496&index=21

Gothampc
#45Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 7:31pm

You have to watch Our Miss Brooks for Eve Arden's dry comic delivery.

After Eight
#46Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:26pm

"A8 aside from coming on here to hate on my choices, what are yours?"

Uh... I came on this thread before you did, and stated mine.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#47Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:31pm

Oh, for the days of Our Miss Brooks and December Bride!

You realize, of course, that posts like that cross the line into self-parody, don't you?

After Eight
#48Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:34pm

^

No I do not.

Because it's simply the truth.

AEA AGMA SM
#49Best Writing on a TV Series
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:47pm

"doodle - that was one of the best Roseanne episodes, to be sure. Roseanne really grew as an actress over the course of the show, too."

During the run of The Other Place I was listening to an NPR piece with Laurie Metcalf and they talked about the series for a bit. Laurie mentioned that Roseanne was very open and willing to take direction and advice, especially during those early seasons, admitting that she did not come from an acting background of any sort and really relying on her co-stars, especially Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman, to really guide her through the process of finding and creating her character and voice on the show.

Videos