pixeltracker

Favorite movies of 2017?- Page 2

Favorite movies of 2017?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#25Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/16/17 at 10:44am

^ Jessie Mueller was terrific-- got all the best lines in the office scenes as generally the only broad in the room. 

javero Profile Photo
javero
#26Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/28/17 at 8:35pm

"Blade Runner 2049"

I streamed it at home today while nursing a sore throat all day.  Perhaps it was the meds but I nodded off at least 2 times.  It moves at a snail's pace, the score was rather sparse, and some of the casting choices were questionable.  It just didn't pack the umph I was hoping for.  I'll probably re-watch the original tomorrow.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 12/28/17 at 08:35 PM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#27Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/29/17 at 10:05am

I really enjoyed Molly’s Game the other day.

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#28Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/30/17 at 6:56pm

There are still quite a few that I'm really anticipating that haven't made it down to Richmond, Virginia (I, Tonya, Call Me By Your Name, Mudbound, The Post, The Florida Project, Phantom Thread, Molly's Game), but here's my top five favorites for the year so far. Watching Dunkirk and The Big Sick this weekend at home.

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri  

2. The Shape of Water

3. Get Out

4. Lady Bird

5. Logan

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#29Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/30/17 at 10:20pm

Detroit was fantastic, Three Billboards has some superb performances.I Tonya I found brilliant

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#30Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/31/17 at 2:35pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "^ Jessie Mueller was terrific-- got all the best lines in the office scenes as generally the only broad in the room."

Just got out of The Post this afternoon. Perfectly fine, well made movie. Some classic Spielberg indulgences like the "Slow Close Up During A Speech While Motivational Music Plays" and Tom Hanks carting off one liners to anyone who's willing to stand and take them. I'd say it's Oscar buzz has more to do with its relevancy to our political climate than to the quality of the movie. Still enjoyable, though. Wanted to ask you, Someone in a Tree2: are you sure that was Jessie Mueller and not Carrie Coon? As far as I could tell, Jessie Mueller only had the one scene discussing how to cover Tricia Nixon's wedding (and a few throwaway shots after that). She was fine, but they didn't give her much. 

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#31Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/31/17 at 3:39pm

I really didn't want to see it, but I went with a group of friends yesterday to see I, TONYA. Wow, what a fantastic movie! The cast was great across the board and I predict Allison Janney will land a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination...

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#32Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/31/17 at 4:58pm

Wickedfan-- you're totally correct. I mistook Carrie Coon for Jessie Mueller. It's Carrie Coon who got all the great lines in the office scenes; Mueller's part was incidental. Realized my mistake soon after, and just hoped no-one would notice. :) Thankyou for setting the record straight.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/31/17 at 6:31pm

I've seen a few more of the Oscar bait films, so I'm going to update my list:

Call Me By Your Name
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Coco
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
Get Out
The Last Jedi
Lady Bird
I, Tonya

I really liked the second half of Lady Bird, but the first half sort of dragged a bit for me.  I think it's a good film, but I wouldn't put it in the top three for Best Picture.  I, Tonya was fun and interesting.  Sort of a hybrid of The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader Murdering Mom and To Die For.  I loved The Last Jedi and I think the obsessive fans are being a bit ridiculous in their disdain for it.  The second half of the film was among the best in the franchise.  I'm a bit biased for personal reasons, but Call Me By Your Name is far and away my favorite, though I know it probably doesn't have a chance in hell for Best picture.  Having read the book, I think they did a really remarkable job finding a way to translate it for the screen (though there were a few things I wish they hadn't cut from the book, even if it made the film a little longer).  I'd still love to see Hammer and Chalemet walk away with awards for it and I can see it winning for Adapted Screenplay.  Both actors are equally deserving.  As for Three Billboards, it's pretty much in its own league.  The screenplay, direction and performances are all Oscar-worthy.  McDomand is going to be hard to beat.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#34Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 12/31/17 at 10:09pm

Timing is everything...

I loved The Edge of Seventeen. I know it was considered for the 2016-17 awards, but I saw it in 2017, so it's my favorite of 2017.

bear88
#35Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:18pm

The Edge of Seventeen looks especially good to me now that I've seen Lady Bird, which I really disliked. (I recognize that's an unpopular opinion.)

I'm still waiting to see a 2017 release that approaches Get Out.

Liza's Headband
#36Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:48pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Just caught a screening of THE POST last night in LA-- really flummoxed how this entirely old-school dry-as-toast predictable film is on everyone's Oscar list for likely Best Picture nods. I suppose you could make an argument for Meryl's constipated turn as Katherine Graham, but even Tom Hanks failed to spark much interest with us. And the film around them had not a speck of adventurous movie-making about it, not in the score, northe camera work, nor the shape of the story.It looked, sounded and felt like any by-the-numbers exposeeof bad things in government since time immemorial. After all the smart work in BRIDGE OF SPIES, I was expecting much more."

A rare occurrence: we are in complete agreement here. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#37Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/1/18 at 7:22pm

My top three would have to be

1. Call Me By Your Name

2. Lady Bird

3. mother!

I also very much enjoyed I, Tonya. I'm not understanding the love for The Shape of Water - do we really need a movie equating homosexuality and queerness with beastiality? And all the supporting characters are stereotypical to the point of offensive - someone give Octavia Spencer another film to carry! Sally Hawkins is brilliant and deserves all the praise she has received, and I enjoyed the use of "You'll Never Know" but ultimately was left with "why?".

Looking forward to seeing Three Billboards, The Post, and Hello Again in the New Year.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/1/18 at 7:31pm

The more I think about it everyday Call Me By Your Name just gets better and better. I honestly think that was my favorite film of the year

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#39Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/1/18 at 9:58pm

I will never understand the love for Get Out. Was fine, but I had tons of problems with the script and pacing. I would love for horror films to make it back into the good graces of the Oscars, but this is not the one I want to start. 

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#40Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/2/18 at 10:22am

My Top 5 (based on my enjoyment of the movies) is:

5) Darkest Hour

4) Spider-Man: Homecoming

3) Get Out

2) IT

1) Shape of Water

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/2/18 at 11:44am

Liza's Headband said: "Someone in a Tree2 said: "Just caught a screening of THE POST last night in LA-- really flummoxed how this entirely old-school dry-as-toast predictable film is on everyone's Oscar list for likely Best Picture nods. I suppose you could make an argument for Meryl's constipated turn as Katherine Graham, but even Tom Hanks failed to spark much interest with us. And the film around them had not a speck of adventurous movie-making about it, not in the score, northe camera work, nor the shape of the story.It looked, sounded and felt like any by-the-numbers exposeeof bad things in government since time immemorial. After all the smart work in BRIDGE OF SPIES, I was expecting much more."

I think Oscar buzz is pretty automatic when talking Hanks OR Streep.   But disappointing to hear, certainly.  I'd

A rare occurrence: we are in complete agreement here.
"

I think Oscar buzz is pretty automatic when talking Hanks OR Streep.   But disappointing to hear, certainly.  I'd already decided that I could wait for this to watch at home, this just cements that.

Still need to catch 3 Billboards, Shape of Water and Call Me, and looking forward to them all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#42Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/4/18 at 5:07pm

My favorites this year:
*Lady Bird
*Three Billboards
*mother!
*The Shape of Water
*Call Me By Your Name
*Mudbound
*The Florida Project
*IT
*I, Tonya
*Dunkirk
*Get Out
*The Big Sick

I haven't seen The Post yet, and the cast looks great, but the movie looks dry as hell. Hopefully it'll be more interesting than The Darkest Hour, which was clearly created just to collect gold statues.

Also, I HATED The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I can love absurdism and surrealism and I actually really liked The Lobster, but this movie just came off as sadistic and disturbing. I found myself thinking "ew" the entire time. The way in which every seen was played awkward worked for The Lobster and created some great dry humor, but the way it was used in this just grossed me out.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#43Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/6/18 at 7:18pm

Here's my favorites of what I've seen so far, in order:

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

LADY BIRD

COCO

I, TONYA

GET OUT

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#44Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/7/18 at 5:02pm

This past week I saw I, Tonya and All the Money in the World. I loved I, Tonya. I’ve never really known much about that whole situation and I’m glad I went into the film blind. It really makes you feel bad for Tonya and it has a few tear jerker moments like the court room scene. As for All the Money in the World. I thought it was good, but I wasn’t blown away by it. I did enjoy Michelle Williams performance, though and I admire the filmmakers for reshooting scenes with Plummer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#45Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/7/18 at 5:32pm

I'd also like to give shout out to It Comes At Night for being a masterclass in suspense.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#46Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/7/18 at 6:23pm

Watched a VERY enjoyable documentary today: SCORE: A Film Music Documentary

Beginning w/the use of the theater organ for silent films, this documentary discusses the importance of music in films over the decades.

Many, many examples of some of the finest film scores, as well as insider stories from directors and the composers themselves about the music, the instrumentation they chose (and why), and much more.

You get to see many examples of the brilliance of these composers. One scene that stands out for me is where the composer suggests that the strings section become a "strings ukelele". We not only get to see that process unfold on screen, but THEN we get to hear the difference that specific element makes to the score. Also - watch the orchestra members faces as they play the passage employing that change. It's priceless.

Interesting fact: When the orchestra assembles to record, on the day, they are SIGHT READING the score...

Such a great documentary and available on iTunes for just $0.99 rental!!!laugh

Updated On: 1/7/18 at 06:23 PM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#47Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/7/18 at 6:48pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I will never understand the love for Get Out. "

Most of the 'horror' of Get Out (for me) is how insidiously anti-racist Allison Williams' character appears to be.

This isn't a traditional horror film, with obvious jump scares, etc. Get Out is more about the social 'horrors' Black people have to endure on a daily basis, and exaggerates the situation to a more traditional horror genre level regarding the brain transfer element.

The fact that the movie isn't preachy about its subject matter, and instead comes off as humorous in many scenes is what's so insidiously horrifying. The elements and examples are plainly there - it's just so easy to choose NOT to see them.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#48Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/7/18 at 7:39pm

I saw Molly's Game the other day. REALLY enjoyed it, one of my favorites of the year. It's nearly two and a half hours of pure, undiluted Aaron Sorkin.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#49Favorite movies of 2017?
Posted: 1/8/18 at 6:31am

After catching The Shape of Water on Saturday, my top movies of the year are:

Three Billboards
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
Get Out

Not in any particular order.

Videos