pixeltracker

89th Academy Awards Thread- Page 7

89th Academy Awards Thread

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#15089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:40am

What a terribly odd moment- and kudos to the La La Land crew for handling it well.

That said.

YAYYYYYYYYY MOONLIGHT!!!!! I can't think of a movie more deserving. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

@z5
#15189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:41am

Really think Michelle Williams should have gotten Supp Actress...her scenes (although small) were heartbreaking in Manchester. Such an underrated actress who never gets awarded.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#15289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:42am

I strongly believe that the academy should speak up and award both films Best Picture.  They are both truly deserving, brilliant films.  I'm very happy to see Moonlight win, but I feel really awful for La La Land.  They had just thanked their families and then they had the award taken back.  As an artist myself, that must be a really horrible experience.  It was, however, really exciting and hopeful to see Moonlight win.

Also, Denzel was robbed.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#15389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:43am

I don't understand why Beatty didn't say something when he saw the wrong card.

I think he was just about to set the record straight, but was just a few seconds too late. Poor guy, I don't think it was his fault, although Jordan Horowitz sure did look annoyed with him, grabbing the card out of his hand and whatnot. 

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:45am

That was absolutely insane. Can't wait to rewatch it all again tomorrow.

Updated On: 2/27/17 at 12:45 AM

Jay Lerner-Z
#15589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:46am

Award them both Best Picture?

Um, no. I doubt they would even want a pity win. Moonlight got the most votes. For all we know, La La Land came fourth or something.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#15689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:47am

Sh!t happens. I knew the minute they announced that Beatty and Dunaway would be announcing Best Picture that they would somehow screw it up. LOL! I wouldn't have wanted to be within 10 miles of Dunaway after the show. I can only imagine the backstage drama! But it was a historical moment, nonetheless. Not only the screw up, but a black film with a gay theme winning Best Picture! Couldn't be more perfect right now! Too bad for LA LA LAND, but they won six. And having just seen MOONLIGHT earlier today, I have to say, it deserved it. Kudos to MOONLIGHT!

Updated On: 2/27/17 at 12:47 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#15789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:49am

Bracing for the headlines tomorrow morning. A New York Times reporter tweeted from the Oscars press room that jaws were still dropped 15 minutes after it happened as they were all frantically rewriting stories. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#15889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:55am

Y'know, looking at the clip again, it does actually seem like Warren Beatty knew something was up...saying "the Academy Award...for best picture (?)..." looking awkardly offstage, before shoving the envelope at Faye -allowing her to take the fall...the dirty rat.

Another day in the life of Faye Dunaway. 89th Academy Awards Thread

javero Profile Photo
javero
#15989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:58am

I'll have to download Moonlight tomorrow.  I switched channels to watch Homeland right after the presentation of the Best Actress award and missed the kerfuffle.  Add me to the list of curmudgeons.  This season's Best Movie entries didn't really pique my interest.  I only saw Arrival and La La Land and that was enough.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 2/27/17 at 12:58 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#16089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:02am

icecreambenjamin said: "I strongly believe that the academy should speak up and award both films Best Picture.  They are both truly deserving, brilliant films.  I'm very happy to see Moonlight win, but I feel really awful for La La Land.  They had just thanked their families and then they had the award taken back.  As an artist myself, that must be a really horrible experience."

Yeah, I'm sure it sucked for them, but it also hauled off with the most trophies of the night. And more importantly, it didn't win- a mistake on someone's part doesn't mean they should get a pity Oscar. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#16189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:10am

if Dunaway was considered a recluse b4, she'll be a pariah now. READ!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#16289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:18am

wonderfulwizard11 said: "icecreambenjamin said: "I strongly believe that the academy should speak up and award both films Best Picture.  They are both truly deserving, brilliant films.  I'm very happy to see Moonlight win, but I feel really awful for La La Land.  They had just thanked their families and then they had the award taken back.  As an artist myself, that must be a really horrible experience."

Yeah, I'm sure it sucked for them, but it also hauled off with the most trophies of the night. And more importantly, it didn't win- a mistake on someone's part doesn't mean they should get a pity Oscar. 

"

I agree.  The situation sucks big time, but a pity award is not needed. Both parties I feel bad for. La La Land has to live with hearing they lost after being announced the winner. And now Moonlight will have to hear that the wrong winner was announced before they were announced the winner instead of basking in the full glory of their win.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#16389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:21am

The excuse Warren Beatty gave for the mix up isn't going over so well.

Emma Stone has just gone on record to say that the card naming her as Best Actress was in her possession, so there is no way Beatty was given the wrong card unless of course there were two cards naming Emma as Best Actress in existence. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 2/27/17 at 01:21 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:26am

But it's not like they read it wrong either. Why would there even be a card that says la la Land won? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jay Lerner-Z
#16589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:30am

There wasn't. The card said "Emma Stone - La La Land". Faye's eyes jumped to La La Land because that's what she was expecting, and it just tumbled out of her mouth. Warren was the only one to realize the mistake, but wasn't sure how to handle it and the situation overtook him. The only one to blame is the person who gave him the wrong envelope.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#16689th Academy Awards Thread

that was crazy. i loved moonlight but still thought LLL was a better film. so happy for Emma Stone!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Theater_Nerd
#16789th Academy Awards Thread

I am seeing pictures on the internet that show Beatty holding an envelope clearly marked "Actress In A Leading Role". Maybe two were accidentally printed and Beatty was handed the second one.

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#16889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:31am

As it turns out, there are two briefcases with identical cards that go to the show.  Each accountant has a briefcase. According to reports, the producers realized there were 2 unopened cards left stating the best picture winner and no cards for the best actress winner. Why they would risk having both cards out for each category is beyond me. It would make sense to have one set out and the other set still in the other briefcase.  Whoever handed the wrong card to Beatty messed up big time. Or maybe he grabbed the wrong one. But he clearly knew something was wrong.

Theater_Nerd
#16989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:31am

89th Academy Awards Thread

Theater_Nerd
#17089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:34am

swanjewel said: "As it turns out, there are two briefcases with identical cards that go to the show.  Each accountant has a briefcase. According to reports, the producers realized there were 2 unopened cards left stating the best picture winner and no cards for the best actress winner. Why they would risk having both cards out for each category is beyond me. It would make sense to have one set out and the other set still in the other briefcase.  Whoever handed the wrong card to Beatty messed up big time. Or maybe he grabbed the wrong one. But he clearly knew something was wrong.

That sounds like the most logical explanation. I just posted the pic showing Beatty holding the envelope clearly marked "Actress In A Leading Role". Emma Stone had the first one in her possession.

Theater_Nerd
#17189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:37am

Emma Stone explains she had her Best Actress card during Oscar mistake.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#17289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 1:41am

Here is a story about why there are 2 briefcases of envelopes and the security they go through to deliver them to the theater. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38923750

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

froote
#17389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 2:03am

So happy for Moonlight. My favourite film of all time.

bear88
#17489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/27/17 at 4:36am

It figures. The year I'm rooting for the front-runner, the ode-to-Hollywood movie to win is the year Academy voters go another direction. My guesses as to why...

1) Moonlight emerged as the lone challenger but was able to skate under the radar. Have you read any critical reassessments of the film, pointing out flaws or things that didn't work? I haven't seen anything. The film didn't get the sort of attention that usually accompanies two-horse races, such as Boyhood and Birdman. I think it benefited from a disinclination to criticize the only serious Oscar contender ever that focused on a gay, black man. 

2) The La La Land backlash. I underestimated this, It was an imperfect movie, but ever since its Golden Globes sweep and 14 Oscar nominations, the film's every flaw has been attacked, including its slightly dicey racial aspects (overstated in my view but definitely there). That made it more vulnerable to a film like Moonlight. It got to the point where even the film's fans felt the need to point out its flaws.

3) Everybody loves an underdog, and Moonlight was a particularly appealing one. My second choice of the nominated films I've seen was Hell or High Water, a strongly-written film set in West Texas that touched not so subtly on the fact that its white small-town characters were losing their way of life. But it never had a chance to win anything and was lucky to be nominated. It was a Red State film. Which brings me to...

4) Donald Trump was elected. I thought Academy voters would have a tough time resisting a well-made, well-reviewed valentine to Hollywood. But La La Land's escapism started to seem a bit too fluffy compared to a film like Moonlight with Trump in the White House. If Hillary Clinton had been elected, I think La La Land wins. Trump's election changed the dynamics in a way that damaged that film and gave Academy voters a chance to cast a proxy vote against Trump. 

5) Moonlight's fans really, really loved it. Maybe I will too when I see it another time. But it had a base of support that thought it was wonderful and soul-stirring. Just look on this thread. Nobody said La La Land was thieir favorite film of all time, but people say that sort of thing about Moonlight. I discounted the giddy reaction in the audience to Moonlight's win at the Golden Globes. I was wrong. 

Videos