pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?- Page 10

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?

UnwoundFantasies
#225MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 5:19pm

Kelli is doing an opera at the Met March 2018, so I'd say that takes her out of the running

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#226MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 6:12pm

Maybe Shanice Williams as Eliza? I'd pay for that! 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#227MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 7:03pm

So Junk is a limited run?

wonkit
#228MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:34pm

For me, Paulo Szot for Higgins and Benanti for Eliza. Szot has full command of English now, and the clips of him in Brazil last summer were splendid. Would love to see Colin Firth but fear that he plays a little too old for Higgins. It is very important to me to see someone play Eliza who has the comic chops to make her Cockney side feel real and slightly desperate. I love Kelli O'Hara but I thought he Nellie Forbush felt very Southern genteel and I would be afraid that the early scenes in MY FAIR LADY would come across as nice young lady waiting for clean clothes and some lessons. Eliza is the daughter of a drunk, on her own, lonely and a scrapper. Benanti can do that.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#229MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:40pm

Exciting if they've cast an unknown as Eliza, but I still maintain the ideal choice is Lauren Worsham. Could handle the score and the comedy in equal measure. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#230MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:45pm

I wish Auli'l Cravalho was older to be Eliza.

sondmon said: "I've heard Laura say she wants to play Eliza so maybe.

"

Yup, she just tweeted

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#231MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:48pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I  cannot overstate how much I would love to see Phillipa Soo in this role. I would forfeit my right to dreamcast ever again if she played this. 

My choice as well coupled with Colin Firth is perfection.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#232MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:49pm

Robbie2 said: "My choice as well coupled with Colin Firth is perfection."

Right? That combination would just be legendary!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#233MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 10:15pm

Colin Firth and Laura Benanti all the way (both are just far too perfect for Eliza and Higgins) with Danny Burstein as Alfred Dolittle.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#234MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 10:27pm

wonkit said: " love Kelli O'Hara but I thought he Nellie Forbush felt very Southern genteel and I would be afraid that the early scenes in MY FAIR LADY would come across as nice young lady waiting for clean clothes and some lessons."

Having seen her do the NY Phil concert version, I can assure that wasn't the case.  I know people are getting sick of her doing these revivals, but let's be honest... Eliza is actually a better match for her voice than Nellie, Anna, and Babe.  If this revival had been 8 years ago, it wouldn't have even been a question of whether she'd be good for the part.  I don't THINK it will be Kelli, but I'm obviously not going to be mad if it is.  For those saying Benanti, I actually prefer funny, belty Laura to soprano Laura.  I think she'd be great for the first half, but I don't know how I'd feel about her for the second half.

BroadwayConcierge said: "I  cannot overstate how much I would love to see Phillipa Soo in this role. I would forfeit my right to dreamcast ever again if she played this. 

God I can't disagree with this more.  Phillipa has a lovely (if slightly underwhelming) voice, but she lacks any and all personality required to make cockney Eliza even remotely funny.

Greenfinch4
#235MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/6/17 at 10:37pm

Ever since they announced it for the run in Chicago, I thought Lisa O'Hare is absolutely perfect for Eliza. 

I think Scarlett Strallen could nail the comedic moments and sell the softer moments too, plus I'd basically just want to see her tackle almost anything. 

I think for an American choice, Jessica Hershberg could be a really good option and her soprano is exceptional. 

VintageSnarker
#236MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 12:17am

wonderfulwizard11 said: "Exciting if they've cast an unknown as Eliza, but I still maintain the ideal choice is Lauren Worsham. Could handle the score and the comedy in equal measure. 

I don't know about her accent (I didn't see Gentleman's Guide) but otherwise, I'm SO down for this. I know I said I wanted them to cast younger but... she can pass for being in her 20's, right?

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#237MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 12:20am

Wowww. ERIVO would be an awesome choice if it can't be O'HARA... Props to whoever suggested her! though I wonder if her movie career would prevent it from happening. 

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#238MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 12:35am

Lauren Worsham is the best idea I've read yet.  She's legitimately perfect for the role in every possible way.  Scarlett Strallen isn't a bad choice either.  But the idea of Worsham is really exciting to me.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#239MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 4:42am

I've wanted Lauren Worsham to do it for ages, she'd be perfect. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#240MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 5:23am

How long is Junk running?

I think Danny can sit this one out. Lets see some fresh faces.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#241MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 7:54am

VintageSnarker said: "I don't know about her accent (I didn't see Gentleman's Guide) but otherwise, I'm SO down for this. I know I said I wanted them to cast younger but... she can pass for being in her 20's, right?"

She only did an upper-class accent in Gentleman's Guide, but I think she'd have no problem with the cockney. And as far as age goes, she's certainly more appropriate than Benanti or O'Hara. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

mamaleh
#242MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 9:25am

My dream casting:  Hugh Jackman as Higgins, Lauren Worsham as Eliza.   May it be so!

wonkit
#243MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:52am

Actually the suggestion of Danny Burstein as Alfred Doolittle is so perfect that's all I can think about. YES!!

And I am glad Kelli was good in a concert version but I think it is much easier to pull out all the stops when it is a single performance, especially when you have no scenery or costumes to help along. Don't get me wrong: I admire her work, and I love Kelli's voice but in both SOUTH PACIFIC and THE KING AND I I felt she was holding back a lot. When I was fortunate enough to see Marin Mazzie in TKAI, I realized how much unexplored territory Kelli's characterization represented for me. 

froote
#244MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 12:47pm

Disagree bjh, there's some stuff floating around the internet of Phillipa doing Oklahoma and Parade and she does the comic stuff well. Eliza, Natasha and Amelie aren't really the best roles to express that.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#245MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 12:54pm

Lauren Worsham would sing the sh!t out of those songs. I think she'd be perfect.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#246MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 1:53pm

wonkit said: "And I am glad Kelli was good in a concert version but I think it is much easier to pull out all the stops when it is a single performance, especially when you have no scenery or costumes to help along. "

Just for your reference, the production was fully costumed and had a small set.  It wasn't a "stand and sing" concert.  It was fully staged.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#247MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 1:58pm

Count me among those who would love to see an unknown as Ms. Doolittle. I would be surprised if Sher cast an actor as seasoned as Laura Benanti. I think he'll take a cue from Shaw's original play which states Eliza is "no older than 20."

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#248MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 2:08pm

Whoever mentioned Lauren Worsham, I thank you and hate you. I can't get it out of my head. She'd be perfect. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#249MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 2:22pm

Wow, yeah. Lauren Worsham would be one of few names I'd be okay with over Phillipa Soo (who I still hold as my #1 choice, though). Worsham would totally nail this role.

Videos