GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#225GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:07pm

Also, it's telling when 2/3rds of the audience sits with their arms crossed during curtain call... 

Broadway World's Fireman.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#226GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:09pm

I was at the performance you attended and it received an immediate full house standing ovation. There was no 2/3 of the audience sitting with their arms crossed. You're a liar. 

Sondheimite
#227GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:16pm

I was sitting in the second to last row of the balcony and I watched it happen.  Check yourself, please.

Jordan Catalano
#228GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:16pm

Then you had a great vantage point to see something that didn't happen. Again, you are a liar. 

Sondheimite
#229GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:19pm

Calling me a liar doesn't change what I saw. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#230GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:19pm

The New York Post and other news outlets reported a few weeks ago that the advance was "low" - under $3 million. That reserve can go very very fast if the show is not meeting its weekly running costs.

I don't know about papering services, but They've been offering lots of comps throughout the industry (all the unions) and to businesses like Google and Yahoo who have young hip employees with social influencing presence. And don't get me wrong, I think that's the smart thing for them to do.

I didn't care for the show, and I agree with Dame it won't last very long on Broadway, but I certainly don't wish it any ill will. I'm fascinated by people on the boards who take a show's wellbeing so personally.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/24/17 at 07:19 PM

Jordan Catalano
#231GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:23pm

I don't take anything personally.

and calling you a liar doesn't change anything since you never saw what you claim you did. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#232GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:24pm

This thread is making it sooo hard to predict whether GROUNDHOG DAY will be a success or not... I feel like there are fans and haters... but signs are pointing to flop territory right now...

Better get all my ANDY KARL loving in now, just like ROCKY... Sigh... at least my husband is back from vacation LOL!!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

canadian fan
#233GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:01pm

Dang, having some buyers remorse right now. Bought tickets at full price based on the London reviews and the fact I loved the movie. I am happy with all my show choices for trip in May but I was a bit worried about this choice, and I guess my worry seems to be justified. Ah well......is what it is.

Margo319
#234GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:19pm

Wait, this past Tuesday?  That is when I saw the show, I was first row mezzanine, and I know for a fact my row and the entire orchestra (as much as I could see of it) gave the show a standing ovation.  Arms crossed?  That's ridiculous.  People seemed to really enjoy it.  I wish it luck.  

canadian fan
#235GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:30pm

Hey Margo, glad to hear you enjoyed it. What was the view like from your seats?  I have tickets for dead centre 2nd row mezz.....

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#236GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:31pm

Have listened to cabaret version of Karl doing "Seeing You." He's quite wonderful. I just can't fall in love with "Seeing You" otherwise. Though its failure to land is mysterious, because the performance is so winning. Is it powerful in the show?  I wanted so to love it. I'm assuming it's the 11 o'clock spot. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Margo319
#237GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:36pm

canadian fan said: "Hey Margo, glad to hear you enjoyed it. What was the view like from your seats?  I have tickets for dead centre 2nd row mezz.....

Perfect seats.  Close but far enough away you can see the whole lovely picture.  Enjoy the hell out of the show!!

The_Spielers_2017
#238GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 9:15pm

Spoilers?

Seeing You is the finale song. It starts as just his solo but becomes a group number as it progresses. And maybe I'm alone on this, but the harmonies of the end chorus ("I'm here, I'm fine..."GROUNDHOG DAY Previews is one of the most glorious sounds on Broadway right now. 

Damiensta
#239GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:05pm

Okay I saw the show this week. I actually liked it; however, it's too long. If they trim act 1 n take out Nancy's song it would be better. There is no reason for the show to be 2 hours and 45 min. 

Andy is very good in the role 

Yes the music was better in Matilda but there are some good melodies here.

i don't see why people are fighting over standing ovations no one cares. When I went some stood up some didn't.

again, main issue with show is length . Besides that is a passable show and a good nite .

After Eight
#240GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:01pm

"I don't understand the hate for this show."

It's the easiest thing in the world to understand. It's godawful--- and then some!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#241GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:07pm

After Eight said: ""I don't understand the hate for this show."

It's the easiest thing in the world to understand. It's godawful--- and then some!

There is nothing likable about it. Pure crap and not theatrical at all. Doesn't belong on Broadway. Maybe it belongs at some touristy crappy Universal Studios attraction.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#242GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:55pm

muscle23ftl said: "After Eight said: ""I don't understand the hate for this show."

There is nothing likable about it. Pure crap and not theatrical at all. Doesn't belong on Broadway. Maybe it belongs at some touristy crappy Universal Studios attraction.

"

The show is brilliant. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't knock others for sharing theirs. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#243GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:45am

GreasedLightning said: "muscle23ftl said: "After Eight said: ""I don't understand the hate for this show."

There is nothing likable about it. Pure crap and not theatrical at all. Doesn't belong on Broadway. Maybe it

belongs at some touristy crappy Universal Studios attraction.

"

The show is brilliant. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't knock others for sharing theirs. 

Sorry for my tough critic, if you like it, then great for you! Actually I think Comet was even worse. I just sometimes feel disrespected as an audience when I pay big bucks for stuff I loathe.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#244GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 4:06am

Since you loathe nearly everything, you should stop going to the theater. You'd be happier,  as would the board. 

As to 2/3 the audience refusing to clap? Pure horsepuckey, never happened. Might of believed that many people staying seated, but unless it's a Monty Python sketch about the "ministry of folded arms" it didn't happen. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#245GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 5:05am

muscle23ftl said: "Actually I think Comet was even worse. I just sometimes feel disrespected as an audience when I pay big bucks for stuff I loathe."

Wow, if it's down there with Comet, then I can't wait to see it!!! GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

NickMorrison25
#246GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 5:33am

I have to confess to being rather mystified by the responses to this show.

I saw it twice at the Old Vic - once in very early previews and once closer to the end of the run. Honestly, the only reason I went back because I read the reviews after opening and assumed they had made significant, seismic changes to the show, because what I had seen was a total mess. I was wrong, the show was more or less identical.

I really wish I could understand the praise here. To my mind, the score is weak and just a jumble of novelty numbers (of the type Minchin writes well), the design is cumbersome and incoherent (does it still have those silhouette borders along the top and bottom of the stage?) and the storytelling unfocused. I agree with many here that the second act is stronger - the darker elements are where the show shines, and those are drawn out quite nicely but then just fade away again for a sentimental finish. Don't get me wrong, I love a happy ending but it feels so unearned here. Despite Andy Karl's best efforts, and he is very good, the writing doesn't support the character development required for him to become the Phil of the final 20 minutes. His ending with Rita should be a really glorious moment of resolution and triumph, but to me it just sort of happened without any satisfaction.

I also think you can really feel how long the piece has been in development by Warchus and Minchin - and not in a good way. It feels to me like in the beginning, they had an entirely different approach: one that focused on the townsfolk as much as on Phil. To me that would be fascinating - to look at all these people stuck in their own ruts and the loops they can't escape in their own lives. You get a glimpse of this in the act one finale (I think?) and of course the gorgeous Nancy song at the top of act two. But this really interesting approach is then militated against by the insistence on focusing on Phil and Rita. It's as if what they had tried wasn't working, so they scrapped most of it and went for the conventional love story angle, but some residue of GHD Mk. 1 is left over, and the two fight against each other.

None of this is even to touch on the problems the show has with Rita as a character - assuming her 'I Want' song is still the same, it was basically about how all she needed was a man and when her prince came it would sort everything out. I cannot believe this is enough any more. I was genuinely a bit flabbergasted by it. I get that Phil is a misogynist and the defects of a character don't speak to the creators - but to approach the leading female role in the show with such an old-fashioned, reductive view on women's aspirations is not terrific.

Lastly there's the weakness of the score. Think about what a more skilled composer of scores (which is not Minchin's strength, he is a songwriter) could have done with the recursive motif. I went in expecting real cleverness and intricacy, something that took advantage of the unique opportunity this property presents to do something musically inventive and impactful - obviously I did not get that. The Doctors Song, The Truck Song, The Tap Number (with that giant groundhog playing the drums, are you joking) - they don't add up to anything or tell that story. So disappointing for me.

So yeah I was massively underwhelmed, as my hopes were very high given the calibre of everyone involved. I really want to understand what it is that I'm missing; maybe it's down to me for not turning off that hyper-critical part of my brain.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#247GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 8:53am

Great post, Nick.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#248GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 1:11am

Great post Nick, although I only agree with some of it, and yet, I really enjoy the show.

BTW, another tech hold at today's (Saturday 3/25) performance.

jbird5
#249GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 6:22am

Saw Sweeney Todd. Found it repetitive and the main character was unlikeable. Also not crazy about the score.

Think I'd rather spend my money on GHD. Then again, I didn't get a meat pie.

Videos