pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 10

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

MemorableUserName
#225& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:11pm

Deadline is mixed to negative

https://deadline.com/2022/11/and-juliet-broadway-review-max-martin-1235173880/

"presented together, one after another after another, the songs can move from inspirational to browbeating in record time. And they do.

Tying the various Martin-written songs together is Read’s book, a pastiche that shows very little of the edge that Read and his fellow writers brought the subversive Schitt’s Creek. Here, Read has fashioned a sort of instructional guide to feminism, self-destiny, empowerment and chosen identity, worthy topics all but here rendered with the subtlety of a middle school pep rally."

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 09:11 PM

MemorableUserName
#226& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:14pm

Three stars from TimeOut

Shakespeare meets Max Martin in a teenage dream of a musical.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/and-juliet-broadway-musical-review-max-martin

MemorableUserName
#227& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:18pm

NYT is generally positive, even if it's not a Critic's Pick.

"I’ve stood proudly, even among my colleagues, as a denier of everything that shows like “& Juliet” typically stand for.

So shoot me: I liked it. It felt so wrong; it felt so right."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/theater/and-juliet-review.html

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 09:18 PM

MemorableUserName
#228& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:21pm

The Daily Beast is mixed to negative

https://www.thedailybeast.com/and-juliet-imagines-a-life-after-romeo-with-britney-spears-and-the-backstreet-boys

"If you want a stage show that wears its admirably progressive politics proudly, if not convincingly, and features a panoply of pop songs whose tunes are immediately familiar—by five-time Grammy Award-winning songwriter/producer Max Martin—then this is the show for you. This critic found it mostly meh, despite having every Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Katy Perry, and Justin Timberlake bone in his body happily tweaked. The story felt flimsy and confusing, the singing fine but not wowing—but the delighted applause and whoops around him made it apparent others were buying into & Juliet very differently."

MemorableUserName
#229& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:22pm

Entertainment Weekly:

"As much as the show feels directed toward a strenuously young demographic — some of them possibly not even born yet when Backstreet were singing about their fire, or their one desire — the script makes several knowing nods, much like a Pixar movie, to the ancient grown-ups in the room. There's something a little relentless about & Juliet's dogged eagerness to entertain, but nakedly joyful too: a violent delight, flipped for the TikTok era. Grade: B+"

https://ew.com/theater/theater-reviews/and-juliet-broadway-review-max-martin-musical/

MemorableUserName
#230& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:26pm

Vulture is fairly negative:

https://www.vulture.com/2022/11/theater-review-and-juliet-broadway.html

"& Juliet has the unnerving glitz of something more corporate contorting itself toward winning you over. And it does, if incompletely"

PipingHotPiccolo
#231& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:26pm

MemorableUserName said: "NYT is generally positive, even if it's not a Critic's Pick.

"I’ve stood proudly, even among my colleagues, as a denier of everything that shows like “& Juliet” typically stand for.

So shoot me: I liked it. It felt so wrong; it felt so right."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/theater/and-juliet-review.html
"

No Critics Pick, but this is definitely a positive, quotable review from the Times. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#232& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:35pm

Green’s review sets up this show to be the frontrunner for Best Book of a Musical this season.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#233& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:58pm

Green’s review sets Kimberly Akimbo up to be the favorite for Book of a Musical at the moment. 

I thought the book of & Juliet was wildly inconsistent and it does not deserve to win any major awards. 

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#234& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:07pm

DTLI Consensus: Zany, diverse, energetic, & campy to the Max.

9 positive (including the NYT), 2 negative, 1 mixed.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/juliet/

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 11/17/22 at 11:07 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#235& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:14pm

Bill Snibson said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

Don't know if you saw this from slightly earlier in this thread... but thoughts on potentially stunt-casting JT or Brian Littrell as Shakespeare in the future?
"

JT never but Brian is a more likely possible stunt cast.
"

Haven’t seen the show & please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Brian Littrell is a Trump-Supporting QAnon believer  so from what I know of the show, I’d guess the show might be too progressive for him. True? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#236& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:16pm

This feels like a best-case review scenario for a jukebox show like this? The reviews basically say the show is fun, entertaining, and well-performed. I don’t think there’s such a thing as universal raves for a jukebox show these days, with the rare exception of something intensely arty like Girl From The North Country.

Green’s review is flat out annoying. It’s like he felt above liking it. 

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 11:16 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#237& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:25pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:Zany, diverse, energetic, & campy to the Max.

9 positive (including the NYT), 2 negative, 1 mixed.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/juliet/
"

Some of those designations are inaccurate. For example, Adam Feldman's Time Out review was 3 out of 5 stars, and recommended. It's mixed, not negative, which is also the case with the New York Post's 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

As far as the NYT is concerned, since when is a non-Critic's Pick anything but mixed or negative?

Updated On: 11/17/22 at 11:25 PM

dadaguza
#238& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:41pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Bill Snibson said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

Don't know if you saw this from slightly earlier in this thread... but thoughts on potentially stunt-casting JT or Brian Littrell as Shakespeare in the future?
"

JT never but Brian is a more likely possible stunt cast.
"

Haven’t seen the show & please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believeBrian Littrell is a Trump-Supporting QAnon believer so from what I know of the show, I’d guess the show might be too progressive for him. True?

"

JC Chasez was in the audience tonight. That might be a cool stunt cast down the line. Always thought he was the best one in NSYNC.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#239& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:42pm

As critical as Jesse Green is when it comes to Jukebox musicals, I am shocked to hear him say he "liked it"! I have my opinions of Green, especially from last season. I won't say much, but I am glad he's finally starting to have some taste in theatre. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#240& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 11:50pm

As I recall, this isn’t the first time Green has liked a jukebox musical. In addition to loving Girl From The North Country, I recall him writing a rave review of Jagged Little Pill. Something along the lines that JLP “fixed the jukebox musical” or something like that. Is my memory accurate? I can’t recall who reviewed Moulin Rouge. Brantley? 

chanel
JasonC3
#242& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 6:15am

The Vulture review opens with the descriptor of why this show left me more lukewarm than it does others, describing it as "aggressively effervescent." 

The aggression felt like an assault launched because the creators did not trust themselves to let things build more naturally or the audience to embrace more subtlety.

Glad others love it though. Nothing wrong with lots of froth (and confetti) if that flips your switch.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#243& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 9:15am

I knew this would never get Kimberly Akimbo type raves but I can't think of another show that makes me as happy as this one does.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#244& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 9:29am

There are definitely flaws in this show...which have been pointed out in the reviews, but I still had a terrific time.  That being said, I doubt I'd catch it again. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#245& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:02pm

Just wondering what your opinions of Lorna getting a possible alternate in the future? I know she has 2 brilliant understudies, one that has been on multiple times in Toronto (Rachel Webb). I am just thinking that the size of the role and amount of singing, is more than most leads on Broadway that have alternates right now. 

Any thoughts? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#246& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:11pm

I personally think an alternate is a good idea. I think Miriam for example in the West End (and Cassidy too for that matter) do sound a bit tired vocally after doing these roles for a while. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#247& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:15pm

Have Lorna do 4 performances a week, and have Webb and Otim split the other 4.

JMO

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#248& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:30pm

An alternate would be ideal for the role. I have tix for this in London in a couple weeks and Miriam has been so hit-or-miss for so long now, I have very little hope of her actually being on when I'm there. I'd love to see her once more before they close so I'll say a little prayer to the West End Gods. 

BETTY22
#249& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:37pm

How does a show get a New York Times rave - and no Critics Pix?

Latest Posts

Videos