News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 10

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#225Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 12:09pm

Maybe this reopens the Palace?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#226Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 12:32pm

Dying to hear her WITH ONE LOOK.

BETTY22
#227Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 12:54pm

Act two opens on the street outside the theater on The Strand........

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#228Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 1:02pm

Actually:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I read that Act Two opens in the dressing room where Joe is watching the film of Sunset Boulevard and then wanders past actors in the hall and then out into the alley where there are more actors and then onto the Strand. 

Updated On: 9/22/23 at 01:02 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#229Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 1:18pm

Dear lord... please let this transfer. I need to see this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#230Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 1:21pm

Ivo's NETWORK did the same gag with a scene on the street outside the theater being piped in. I thought it was one of the less successful moments in a show that generally suited his schtick much better than most. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#231Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 2:25pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dying to hear her WITH ONE LOOK."

Here’s the reprise from the finalé:

https://twitter.com/tyce/status/1704984620670828955?s=20

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#232Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 2:35pm

Wow - i HAVE to get out there to see this. Sounds very exciting.

I *LOVED* Jamie Lloyd's EVITA at Regent's Park; the choices here sound similar...a further examination of the themes he dug into with that show; our obsessions with fame & celebrity culture, how pop culture and history clash, and at the end - what it all really boils down to (surprise alert; the answer is nothing - it's shallow and meaningless).

With EVITA it was a fascinating take on how celebrity/pop culture and politics inform each other and what they boil down to at the end of the day. With this, it sounds like an examination on what celebrity and pop culture mean all on their own, and how the meaningless of it all can drive a human being to madness.

BETTY22
#233Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 3:32pm

Michael Reidel was spotted at the first performance. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#234Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 3:34pm

inlovewithjerryherman said: "Wow - i HAVE to get out there to see this. Sounds very exciting.

I *LOVED* Jamie Lloyd's EVITA at Regent's Park; the choices here sound similar...a further examination of the themes he dug into with that show; our obsessions with fame & celebrity culture, how pop culture and history clash, and at the end - what it all really boils down to (surprise alert; the answer is nothing - it's shallow and meaningless).

With EVITA it was a fascinating take on how celebrity/pop culture and politics inform each other and what they boil down to at the end of the day. With this, it sounds like an examination on what celebrity and pop culture mean all on their own, and how the meaningless of it all can drive a human being to madness.
"

SPOILERS BELOW

I love your thoughts on this. How it is a commentary on fame and how meaningless it is. It actually seems to be making a comment more on current fame with cameras and the screen, with the wink being that all of these folks mugging for social media are living in a barren landscape, which is what Lloyd provides in terms of sets, costumes and props. 

I envy everyone who gets to see this show. I love Sunset and I'm so happy it's getting a different take. I hope it does transfer. 

I wonder if the street scene will get tiresome for the actor, especially as word gets out that he is out there. Are the areas he travels sectioned off (like Chastain in Dolls House) or is he interacting with people on the street?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#235Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 3:47pm

I wonder if the street scene will get tiresome for the actor, especially as word gets out that he is out there. Are the areas he travels sectioned off (like Chastain in Dolls House) or is he interacting with people on the street?

I was told there is security to the sides of the camera to prevent any issues. Before the cameras go live, the sidewalk is cleared in advance and monitored. The actor isn't just out there by himself with a cameraman. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#236Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 4:50pm

I will perform my sacrificial rite to the Theater Gods at the stroke of midnight in hopes that this will transfer. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#237Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 5:21pm

I'm trying not to read much of this thread so it remains a surprise - can someone tell me what section is best to sit for this show? Are there any areas to avoid? 

JasonC3
#238Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 5:27pm

FANtomFollies said: "I'm trying not to read much of this thread so it remains a surprise - can someone tell me what section is best to sit for this show? Are there any areas to avoid?"

One UK board suggestion:

https://theatreboard.co.uk/post/484222

FANtomFollies
#239Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/22/23 at 10:37pm

JasonC3 said: "FANtomFollies said: "I'm trying not to read much of this thread so it remains a surprise - can someone tell me what section is best to sit for this show? Are there any areas to avoid?"

One UK board suggestion:

https://theatreboard.co.uk/post/484222

"

That is very helpful - thank you!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#240Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/23/23 at 1:44am

You gotta get a gimmick.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#241Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/23/23 at 8:59am

devonian.t said: "You gotta get a gimmick."

I mean, the original had the mansion descending from the flies.

FANtomFollies
#242Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/23/23 at 2:56pm

Just booked my tickets for my trip to London next month. Got 5th row, just off-center. Hope these aren't too close but figured better than being too far, especially with a minimalist production. I'm excited!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#243Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/23/23 at 6:50pm

I saw this again tonight. Nicole seems to be settling ins little more and is allowing herself to go a little camp (which is GOOD). There’s still these WTF moments like when she and Joe dance and they do the Robot and the Running Man while she shouts out “I’m M.C. Hammer!” and I’m like “Norma…he won’t be born for 12 more years”.

I do enjoy this production but there’s stuff like that peppered throughout the entire show that just continually takes me out of it.

JasonC3
#244Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/23/23 at 7:01pm

I'm most excited to see it on one of Scherzinger's days off (Mondays).  She's not my cup of tea.

Updated On: 9/25/23 at 07:01 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#245Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 9:04am

TaffyDavenport said: "A Bloody (Pussycat) Doll's House

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

"

He looks like he's wearing a tank top. Seriously, what is the source of all the blood? Are they vampires now? There are (were) no bloody scenes in the original film or stage show.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#246Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 9:11am

Jordan Catalano said: "when the lights came up on her bloody body I gasped a bit."

Why is she bloody? Did he decide to have her kill herself in this production?

Jordan Catalano said: "This was still set in the same time period but these backstage videos of people showed modern technology like when Betty finishes her script, she writes "The End" on her MacBook Pro."

I really hate technological anachronisms.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Jordan Catalano
#247Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 9:45am

This production is filled with them, though and they really take me out of the moment. Act Two opens with video backstage of Joe/Tom watching the film (on a laptop), Nicole looking at the camera doing tongue pops, the dancing I mentioned above etc. 

I still don’t know if I overall liked this or not but I do think about it a lot so that’s a win for them, I suppose. As a whole I like a lot of the performances more than the actual production…I think. And the use of the giant screen to show the opening credits is thrilling and even the closing credits was something I appreciated. I would love to see an approach with the screen (highland actual filmmaking tropes and not just closeups of people done for no reason) done in a more traditional staging for this. In the end, I think (for me), “Sunset Boulevard” is a show where More Is More. 

But I’m still going back in a few weeks to see Rachel Tucker because that’ll be fascinating to see how a show so built around a single person works with someone who is so completely different. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#248Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 9:46am

I don't tend to mind them, but this story IS the time period, so to take that out of it, I'm not sure it works? Like with no set, is it explained that they're using her car and not her on the movie set? Does that come across? I feel like he basically just threw out the script and did his own thing, which maybe people like, but this story is SO good. So I hope they scrap some of that stuff and just stick to the story.

Jordan Catalano
#249Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 9:54am

The book is so strong that I think even if you don’t know the show, it all still makes sense. And yes when she’s at Paramount you know what’s going on even though it’s just Nicole standing in front of a giant screen showing a silhouette of DeMille’s head, talking to her and we hear people offstage saying the other dialogue. 

Videos