NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

JohnyBroadway
#2575SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 10:16am

I liked that Kyle much better.

Gothampc
#2576SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 10:32am

Hit List is not like Rent in that when Rent was downtown people didn't camp out on the street for tickets. They couldn't give tickets away. It was the only show that Audience Extras had on their list every single night.

When Rent decided to move to Broadway, the producers hired a PR team that went into overdrive and Rent was everywhere. They dreamed up the idea of the first two rows being sold cheap and it was marketing genius.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Ham3
#2577SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 10:35am

Random fact for today: If you Google the headlines in the copy of the Times with the full-page ad for Bombshell, you find it's the October 15, 2012 edition.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#2578SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:12am

dramamamma- In all fairness, he's the one who confronted and punched Adam; I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a stereotypical "sissy". But yeah, the number of tired tropes poured into one character is astounding. And yet he was still the most likable character on the show.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2579SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:20am

But the "man" felt the need to protect the him -- that's the part of the stereotype -- that he couldn't handle it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2580SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 6:10pm

Is it me or is Katharine getting better? I think I even saw some tears in her eyes.

Overall I liked the episode and the way it was structured, but I wasn't impressed with the acting from anyone in the Hit List cast except for Jeremy. Kyle's ex was terrible.
As much as I hate to admit it, I found Jimmy's song quite moving, as well as his overall performance

The show was compared to RENT since the beginning of the season. If I remember correctly the first time they played the songs someone said "It's like RENT good."

Kyle WILL be remembered and in my mind he is a saint.

On a side note, since Julia is not doing the play anymore will she get back together with Tom?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2581SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 6:14pm

Glycerine. Anyone else notice the director had her turn away from the camera when she heard of Kyle's death? Savvy!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2582SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 6:18pm

good Lord, this episode was terrible.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SporkGoddess
#2583SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 7:50pm

I just rewatched the episode of Community with Kat McPhee and she was actually half-decent in it. So why is she so bad in Smash? I don't get it.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2584SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 8:02pm

Sometimes good acting is all in the editing.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

JohnyBroadway
#2585SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 9:27pm

I think we should all be asking what happened to Linda?

beautywickedlover
#2586SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:17pm

As I mentioned there is nothing positive I can say about last night's show. There are TOO MANY problems to list.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2587SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:20pm

Well the ratings took a good increase. 1.89 million to 2.28 million.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2588SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:22pm

^ SMASH!!!

Kyle would be proud...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2589SMASH
Posted: 5/5/13 at 11:53pm

Why? He's out of a job?
Oh, Kyle, not Andy.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2590SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 12:00am

I dimmed the lights over my stove for him tonight. I think he would have liked that.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#2591SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 9:18am

there is NO DOUBT that both Ivy and Karen are going to lose the Tony to the fab jenn damiamo in beauty queen!!!

SMASH

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2592SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 9:36am

Audra McDonald doesn't lose Tony's....unless Dead Eyes is nominated!

FindingNamo
#2593SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 10:04am

The above category appears to be Best Forehead.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

pndmnd
#2594SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:01am

Can anyone make out what the post-it notes say? I can only tell that Ivy's says "B'Way Debut (Lead)".

bryan2
#2595SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:21am

I am wondering why nobody questions the incredibly bad acting by most involved in this show...
Tom-his eyebrows and twitching over the top stage acting
Angelica Houston-awful over the top line readings
Bernadette Peters-she is channelling Ethel Merman -who couldnt act
Kat Mcphee- newbie -can sing cant act
Jeremy Jordon ...no words can express his awful acting and his singing ..when he goes to scream his notes it is like he is clearing his throat..when he sings low he is damned good...stop screaming
Story line..IVY the star of a NEW BWAY show calls in sick and goes downtown to sneak to see her lovers show..and the producer/director/writer are all there...and they dont say anything to her. A star whose show is suppose to already be on the TKTS line..who writes this crap.
the same IVY who got drunk during a show and also just didnt show up...ya she would be someone producers would put up millions for...
I watch this show just to torture myself I think

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#2596SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:28am

Lemme guess what's gonna happen.
Karen wins Best Actress, Ivy wins featured for that other show she did.
I am so sick of this show trying to paint Karen and Hit List as the better of the two. I like Katherine, I think her voice is great and her acting, although quite flat in many parts of this show, is not terrible. But compared to Megan? Megan is the clear standout in this show.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

FindingNamo
#2597SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:32am

I am wondering why nobody questions the incredibly bad acting by most involved in this show...

If by "nobody" you mean "everybody," I see your point. I'd recommend actually reading the threads you post in, for a start.

bryan2
#2598SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:46am

My dear pompous Finding N
The only acting that is ever questioned on this site
is Kat McPhee.....so dear before you act all "suggesting I read the post" I was saying it is not only her it is the entire show... Updated On: 5/6/13 at 11:46 AM

FindingNamo
#2599SMASH
Posted: 5/6/13 at 11:48am

Oh, how very civil.

It is true that Kitty gets most of the comments, when you're the ne plus ultra of bad, that's the way it should be.

Videos