INTO THE WOODS Reviews

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#300INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/10/22 at 6:20pm

Kad said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Saw a tweet about Andrew Rannells being at the show tonight. Preparation, perhaps?"

Actors are known to go to shows for, like, fun and to support friends, too.

"

Wow, that never occurred to me. Glad you were here to condescend and point that out.

JSquared2
#301INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/10/22 at 6:23pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Kad said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Saw a tweet about Andrew Rannells being at the show tonight. Preparation, perhaps?"

"

Wow, that never occurred to me. Glad you were here to condescend and point that out.
"

So maybe try not to post things like "Preparation, perhaps?""?  Problem solved!

TaffyDavenport
#302INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/10/22 at 6:32pm

God forbid I throw out a tidbit of speculation when everybody's waiting for a casting announcement, especially since he'd be perfect for the show. 

JasonC3
#303INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/10/22 at 9:17pm

I'll never understand why so often people here react with the least charitable interpretation of someone's post.

Updated On: 8/10/22 at 09:17 PM

Scott Stephen
#304INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/10/22 at 9:44pm

benfox2 said: "how bad is partial view here? I'd rather not spend $150+ for front mezz, but if partial view is brutal ill just spend the extra cash."

I’d say it depends on your height. I’m a rather tall person so I’ve sat on the very side of the front few rows of the orchestra a few times and it’s been perfectly fine. But if you’re on the shorter side the action is more likely to get blocked from view. You’re probably gonna miss a few things regardless, but worth it in my opinion for being so close and intimate with the stage! 

spock2
#305INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/11/22 at 9:17am

is there any chance the show will extend until November? i’m planning a trip to the city then and don’t know if I should do a quick trip in September as well to catch the production with the original cast 

I live in Europe so it wouldn’t be particularly cheap to make the trip twice, but I don’t want to miss this argh

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#306INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/11/22 at 9:19am

I believe the current (unconfirmed) rumor is through early January. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#307INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/11/22 at 9:37am

I hope they could keep it running at least into the spring for Awards Season! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Mpkenny99
#308INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/11/22 at 12:14pm

The INCREDIBLY talented Felicia Curry is making her Broadway debut this evening as The Witch!!!!  I can't get up to see her, but if anyone catches the show tonight, please report back, send videos/pictures/audio etc. lol.

willep
#309INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/22 at 10:55am

Bill Snibson said: "Am I crazy or do the Giant’s feet move in a completely unrealistic way at one point? They stop stage left and she “turns around” but the feet just flip one after the other. IDK…it just irked me. Anyone else notice this?"

I thought it looked odd too, did they each just rotate? I literally tried turning around today and watching my foot pattern, but now I can’t remember what exactly they did in the show last night.

Updated On: 8/21/22 at 10:55 AM

rkade21
#310INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/22 at 5:50pm

Kad said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Saw a tweet about Andrew Rannells being at the show tonight. Preparation, perhaps?"

"

Ciara Renee was sitting right in front of me at ITW, and Afra Hines right in front at Encores Tap Dance Kid… from the looks of it, coincidentally both to see and support their friend Joshua Henry (among others I assume)

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#311INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/22 at 6:26pm

I'm really hopeful they'll extend it to at least mid January.  I'll be in town Jan 14 - 18.  Fingers crossed!!!  INTO THE WOODS Reviews

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#312INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/22 at 6:31pm

Just wanted to chime in and say the show’s in great shape. Full cast was in for anyone tracking, and since I last saw the show 7/9 everyone’s characters feel more lived in in a really great way. My first time seeing BDJ and I thought he was just spectacular. It also made me appreciate Jason Forbach’s Baker too, so different but both equally wonderful. 

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Tifa
#313INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/22/22 at 3:22am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "Just wanted to chime in and say the show’s in great shape. Full cast was in for anyone tracking, and since I last saw the show 7/9 everyone’s characters feel more lived in in a really great way. My first time seeing BDJ and I thought he was just spectacular. It also made me appreciate Jason Forbach’s Baker too, so different but both equally wonderful."

Totally agree about everyone’s characters feeling more lived in! I saw the show on 7/8 and went again on 8/21 and the difference was night and day. The show was good before but it is practically flawless now. The tonal shift during act 2 was much better handled this time and I spent most of the act in tears. Just a phenomenal performance of one of my favorite shows. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#314INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/23/22 at 5:27pm

Wow...Heather Headley's Carnegie show is all but sold out except for the balcony and some limited view seats.  Hoping some decent returns come in before February.  

Damn!  surprise

TaffyDavenport
#315INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/23/22 at 11:42pm

INTO THE WOODS Reviews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#316INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/23/22 at 11:46pm

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#318INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/26/22 at 2:26pm

I saw the show on the 16th and agree fully with the power of the second act. It’s quite moving. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#319INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/31/22 at 12:01am

This was so cool when ITW played the Martin Beck, the giant's leg just hanging! INTO THE WOODS Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SouthernCakes
#320INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 8/31/22 at 1:05am

Hope we get a Sara B return so I can run up that credit card and see her. 

JasonC3
#321INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/22 at 7:10am

For people who just can't get enough Into the Woods, Signature Theatre in DC is doing the show November 2022-January 2023.

They historically have done Sondheim right.

Updated On: 9/1/22 at 07:10 AM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#322INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/22 at 11:27am

I saw it Tuesday night for the first time since May and this show is just so special. 

I sat in Orchestra B13, the obstructed view seat blocked by the narrator's podium. I HEARTILY recommend this seat to ANYONE wishing to see this show. SOOOO much of this show is played so far downstage and out onto the apron that the part of the stage I couldn't see didn't matter at all and the podium was not so bad either. I could either see around or through it 99% of the time. Frankly, I couldn't believe that my seat cost a third of what the seats just a few over from me cost. 

Last time I was way up in the balcony at City Center and it was so much better to be so close. There were so many little details I missed the first time around! I could see the actors so much better! I could also hear the complexities and details of the music and orchestrations much better. I appreciated it so much more this time around. 

All the returning cast members from City Center were wonderful. Sara B is still my favorite though. She's just so incredible in this role. I can't wait to be able to listen to her songs on repeat when the album comes out. 

Jason Forbach was on for Cinderella's Prince and he was delectable. Super impressed by him! 

BDJ was a wonderful Baker and while he definitely skews a bit older than I'd usually want to see for this part, I think he made up for it by being great in the role!

Phillipa Soo is an AMAZING Cinderella! She's just perfect for this part. 

Patina Miller is a bit complicated for me. I think she failed to capture the intensity that made Heather's Witch so earth-shattering, but she was still really good and has a great voice. Maybe it's just that I noticed it more sitting closer, but I think she played up the comedy aspects of The Witch more, for better or to worse. Her Stay With Me and Last Midnight were less effective than Heather to me, but she seemed to unlock something in the Lament. It was just more intense and emotional than her other songs and it had me leaning in for sure. Her Children Will Listen was also FANTASTIC. She has such a unique and beautiful voice that worked so well for this song. It left me on a high note with her and I can't wait to listen to it on repeat as well!

Final note is just to say that Milky White remains the best part of this production. Kennedy Kanagawa does such a good job bringing her to life. She gets the biggest laughs and some of the most emotional moments in the show. It's a very impressive display from Kennedy, as well as James Ortiz, the puppet designer, and Lear. 

Final final note is that Joanna Gleeson was there, which is wonderful to see! I saw a lone woman sitting in the house right box and thought it kinda looked like her, but wasn't sure. Broadway World just posted a wonderful picture of her and Sara together! 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#323INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/22 at 11:30am

I saw this last night and having Sara B in the show (I saw her understudy last time) made all the difference. Sara is just so funny, earthy and sassy as Baker's Wife. She brings out the humor of the role. Everyone else just seemed so on. It was wonderful. Philippa Soo is just amazing as Cinderella. Sara and Philipa probably the finest parts of this production.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#324INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/22 at 1:25pm

poisonivy2 said: "I saw this last night and having Sara B in the show (I saw her understudy last time) made all the difference. Sara is just so funny, earthy and sassy as Baker's Wife. She brings out the humor of the role. Everyone else just seemed so on. It was wonderful. Philippa Soo is just amazing as Cinderella. Sara and Philipa probably the finest parts of this production."

It's the two of them and Milky White for me! 

Videos