pixeltracker

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL- Page 14

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL

SchuylWERKsister Profile Photo
SchuylWERKsister
#325Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:18pm

ladypresent said: "i love that you all have this much time to debate this subject.
and they say millenials don't have drive and ambition.
"

I never understand the point of posts like this. What is your end game? And if you don't have one aren't you just as wasteful of your time as your implying we are, if not more? We joined a theatre chat board to talk about theatre. You joined for the same reason.

Passive aggressive censorship and shaming is whack. Go elsewhere with your time that you use so much better than the rest of us.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 12:18 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#326Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:18pm

https://twitter.com/BetsyWolfe/status/912812274481541125

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JSquared2
#327Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 12:45pm

Someone please put this thread out of its misery!!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#328Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:02pm

I saw "Ghost" more than once for complicated reasons. Whatever one thinks of this actor, her voice is quite an instrument, and she uses it successfully and carefully, like Menzel.  As soon as I saw the animated film and knew that Menzel would be too old (and perhaps indifferent anyway), I thought Levy would get the part.  I'm not prescient, or even good at casting. It was easy to deduce she'd be a front runner.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#329Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:08pm

This thread be like...

Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#330Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:12pm

Auggie27 said: "Whatever one thinks of this actor, her voice is quitean instrument, and she uses it successfully and carefully, like Menzel."

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  Menzel?  Careful?  Good singing technique?  IM ROLLING ON THE GROUND.  That woman has screeched her way through every single score since Rent.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#331Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:24pm

She screetched her way to 3 Tony nominations; 1 win; the face of the biggest song of the decade; and an army of fans who will defend her to the death. I wish I were so lucky. 

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#332Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:34pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "She screetched her way to 3 Tony nominations; 1 win; the face of the biggest song of the decade; and an army of fans who will defend her to the death. I wish I were so lucky."

Me too.  Regardless, she has the most unhealthy singing voice that I have ever heard.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#333Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:52pm

Then you haven't been listening carefully enough.  

If you think Levy has insufficient technique, then I suspect you don't know as much about the human voice as a musical instrument as you suggest.  

SchuylWERKsister
#334Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:58pm

GeorgeandDot said: "SchuylWERKsister said: "If Betsy Wolfe is a high belter than what are we calling people like Eden Espinosa, Adrienne Warren, Stephanie J. Block, Alice Ripley, Cynthia Erivo, Betty Buckley?"

Ummmm, I would also call them high belters......."

Stop. If you think Betsy Wolfe's voice can do what these women's voices do at the capacity that they do it then this isn't even worth discussing. Conversely Betsy can do things with her voice that the women I listed cannot. As far as belting goes, to categorize what Betsy does with her voice with what those women do is a disservice, even to her.

Again, I'm not saying that one relationship to the voice is better than another, but there is absolutely a difference. There's this taboo around not being a belter that people need to stop feeding into. Betsy Wolfe is good. She is NOT a true power belter. Period. She has had an excellent career in spite of this and the (unforgiving) demand for belting on the American musical stage. She has even garnered roles that sing in that range, but this does not change where her voice sits. If anything gaining these roles and not being a true power belter is more of a testament to her talent, but not an means to misclassify.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 01:58 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#335Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:02pm

i love that you all have this much time to debate this subject. 

Apparently, you love being patronizing.  Not that it matters, they're not all Millenials.  GeorgeandDot said she's old enough to be my grandmother, so that puts her in her 90s.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

UncleCharlie
#336Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:09pm

SchuylWERKsister said: "ladypresent said: "i love that you all have this much time to debate this subject.
"

I never understand the point of posts like this. What is your end game? And if you don't have one aren't you just as wasteful of your time as your implying we are, if not more?We joined a theatre chat board to talk abouttheatre. You joined for the same reason.

Passive aggressive censorship and shaming is whack. Go elsewhere withyour time thatyou use so much better than the rest of us.
"

I love people who complain about censorship by others while in less than 24 hours on a board, have declared themselves the definitive authority on Betsy's voice and anyone who disagrees needs to just "stop".

SchuylWERKsister
#337Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:17pm

UncleCharlie said: "SchuylWERKsister said: "ladypresent said: "i love that you all have this much time to debate this subject.
"

I never understand the point of posts like this. What is your end game? And if you don't have one aren't you just as wasteful of your time as your implying we are, if not more?We joined a theatre chat board to talk abouttheatre. You joined for the same reason.

Passive aggressive censorship and shaming is whack. Go elsewhere withyour time thatyou use so much better than the rest of us.
"

I love people who complain about censorship by others while in less than 24 hours on a board, have declared themselves the definitive authority on Betsy's voice and anyone who disagrees needs to just "stop".
"

So I'm declaring myself as the definitive authority on Betsy Wolfe's voice, but GeorgeandDot is just disagreeing? Interesting. I am not the definitive authority on Betsy Wolfe's voice, nor have I claimed to be. I'm sure you're intelligent enough to know that you can make an assessment without being a definitive authority.

And I'm also sure that you know that I'm not actually demanding that GeorgeandDot "Stop" posting on this thread. I mean it as a phrase, not a command. My apologies to you GeorgeandDot if you felt like I was in any way discouraging your correspondence.

Is this where I'm supposed to apologize for being on here for less than 24 hours? Oops.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 02:17 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#338Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:26pm

Schuylwerk, welcome. I can tell you've been a lurker, so congrats on taking the plunge! There really are lively discussions on here, and many of them are legitimately educational. In situations like this, I prefer to take the safe way out and just comment on them using funny GIFs...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

UncleCharlie
#339Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:33pm

SchuylWERKsister said: "UncleCharlie said: "I love people who complain about censorship by others while in less than 24 hours on a board, have declared themselves the definitive authority on Betsy's voice and anyone who disagrees needs to just "stop"."

So I'm declaring myself as the definitive authority on Betsy Wolfe's voice, but GeorgeandDot is just disagreeing? Interesting.I am not the definitive authority on Betsy Wolfe's voice, nor have I claimed to be. I'm sure you're intelligent enoughto know that you can make an assessment without being a definitive authority.

And I'm also sure that you know that I'm notactually demanding that GeorgeandDot "Stop" posting on this thread. I mean it as a phrase, not a command. My apologies to you GeorgeandDot if you felt like I was in any way discouraging your correspondence.

Is this where I'm supposed to apologize for being on here for less than 24 hours? Oops.
"

So I'm sure you also realize that the comment YOU quickly labeled censorship also wasn't demanding that the people here stop posting, yet you viewed it as censorship. Not sure I see the distinction.  And when you respond to comments by saying you're not trying to diss Betsy, but how much they like her can't "supersede fact" i.e., your opinion, it does make it sound like you are presenting yourself as the authority. Just food for thought.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 02:33 PM

broadwayboy223
#340Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:38pm

Okay y'all. I'd like to re state that Caissie has a great voice. And I'm a singer who's been studying voice for almost a decade. Menzel (who I love) has had pretty bad technique her whole career. I haven't listened to her as of late so I can't speak of her recent stuff. She always pushes her chest voice up the scale without mixing and she's had some vocal damage along the way as well. Caissie does have a better technique then Menzel but speaking of where the voice "sits" Caissie's sits higher then Idina so she has way more ease with the score then Menzel did. Idina was never a high belter and people put her in that box to her disadvantage. A "high belter" uses a healthy mix. Betsy falls into this category. Almost every good and smart belter uses a mix at some point so they avoid cramming the chest voice all the way up. Also having seen Frozen with Caissie I must say she did sing pretty well. Except for every high note she stuck her tongue actually out of her mouth. It was insane. Girl has a got some tongue tension. Ideally the tongue should rest behind the lower teeth. And the group of "high belters" are not all high belters. Nearly everyone's voices you listed on that list have completely different (and amazing) voices. Betty Buckley and SJB are definitely more regular belters. And when I say that I'm thinking of belting from a C to an Eb (C5-Eb5) maybe an E. Stephanie has sang F/F# in wicked and she wasn't that comfortable. If she's sung more of those and I'm wrong feel free to show me. I don't know everything. When I think of a high belter who mixes I think of people who can sing from an E to a G or higher (E5-G5). Betsy, and Cynthia Ervio fall into this category. At least for me. Im sorry if this comes off wrong I'm just trying to give my two cents. 

SchuylWERKsister
#341Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:43pm

UncleCharlie said: "So I'm sure you also realize that the comment YOU quickly labeled censorship also wasn't demanding that the people here stop posting, yet you viewed it as censorship. Not sure I see the distinction. And when you respond to comments by saying you're not trying to diss Betsy, but how much they like her can't "supercede fact" i.e., your opinion, it does make it sound like you are presenting yourself as the authority. Just food for thought."

The red herrings. I can't.

broadwayboy223 said: "Im sorry if this comes off wrong I'm just trying to give my two cents."

No, you're fine. I openly welcome difference of opinion. My phrasing is being manipulated so it may not appear that way in this thread. You're not coming off wrong at all. Thank you for your input.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Schuylwerk, welcome. I can tell you've been a lurker, so congrats on taking the plunge! There really are lively discussions on here, and many of them are legitimately educational. In situations like this, I prefer to take the safe way out and just comment on them using funny GIFs..."

Thank you. Happy to be here.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 02:43 PM

bk
#342Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:48pm

"Passive aggressive censorship and shaming is whack. Go elsewhere with your time that you use so much better than the rest of us."

Spoken like a true millennial.  :)  

SchuylWERKsister
#343Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:55pm

bk said: ""Passive aggressive censorship and shaming is whack. Go elsewhere withyour time thatyou use so much better than the rest of us."

Spoken like a true millennial. :)
"

Again, Oops?

VintageSnarker
#344Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:27pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I adoredCaissie inHair and I think she sounds fantastic in the "Let It Go" bootleg that's been floating around. But to GeorgeandDot's credit, she was a pretty terrible Fantine and a so-so Elphaba. It's false to say she has "zero" singing technique, but GeorgeandDot isn't wrong in saying that her style isn't flawless.

Betsy is pretty flawless though, IMO.
"

She sounded great in Hair but that's not really on the level of difficulty of those other parts. (Side note: As much as I love sopranos and high belters, it would be nice if more composers took it easy on the female singers in their shows. Variety is nice.) I didn't see her as Fantine or Elphaba but she also sounded great in First Daughter Suite. Of course, I thought that score forced most of the actresses into a place where they sounded shrill so I wasn't really focused on vocal technique. 

I do think Betsy managed to sound less shrill than Sherie Renee Scott in her recording of The Last 5 Years for whatever that's worth.

The idea that Betsy doesn't look like Elsa or that she's not "dark" or "edgy" enough to play a Disney princess is ridiculous.

broadwayboy223
#345Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 10/2/17 at 7:56pm

So it's looking like she's probably not returning to Frozen and not Eliza and most likely not pregnant will we find out why she's not in Carousel?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#346Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 10/2/17 at 8:00pm

Unless she goes full Tim Lincecum, yes, I would imagine you'll find out eventually.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/21/where-have-you-gone-tim-lincecum-in-search-of-beloved-giants-ace/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JIMG3
#347Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 10/3/17 at 9:24am

broadwayboy223 said: "So it's looking like she's probably not returning to Frozen and not Eliza and most likely not pregnant will we find out why she's not in Carousel?"

Vocal difficulties, perhaps? An R&H musical eight times per week, is no walk in the park. 

KathyNYC2
#348Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 10/3/17 at 10:53am

broadwayboy223 said: "So it's looking like she's probably not returning to Frozen and not Eliza and most likely not pregnant will we find out why she's not in Carousel?"

Betsy already stated that there is a conflict with the fall. She said that upfront in a statement on the day the Carousel change was announced. Is Betsy's word not good enough? You need or feel entitled to know more?

(Even though I am responding to your comments, I am obviously responding to many)

Updated On: 10/3/17 at 10:53 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#349Betsy Wolfe departs CAROUSEL
Posted: 10/10/17 at 8:28pm

Not sure if this portends anything for Wolfe's departure date from Waitress or if she'll just be taking a couple days off, but she's performing with Jeremy Jordan at the Houston Symphony the weekend of November 10-12.

http://www.playbill.com/article/waitress-star-betsy-wolfe-plans-symphony-concert-with-jeremy-jordan

Videos