pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 145

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3600Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 7:57am

Just watched the new featurette and THAT IS IT. I'm done. I won't watch any more anything.

Having watched it, though, I'm starting to get the feeling that this movie is going to do mammoth box office. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. But it looks really, really good.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3601Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:13am

I had the exact same reaction, Growl. I won't even watch another trailer until I see it Christmas Day.

themysteriousgrowl
#3602Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:51am

Anna Kendrick saying "select Regal markets on Christmas Day" or whatever made me nervous, though. There are no Regal Cinemas here. I don't want to have to wait a week for it to hit Pittsburgh.

Maybe I can find this information online somewhere, but I haven't looked yet.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#3603Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 11:02am

It's opening in theaters other than Regal the same day; all cinema chains. Regal just happened to be the sponsor for this particular promo.

themysteriousgrowl
#3604Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 11:16am

Okay, cool. Thank you, jp. I thought it would be odd if they didn't go ultra-wide on Christmas Day, but I couldn't find any specifics.

jimmycurry01
#3605Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:06pm

Thew clip is cute, but brief. You won't spoil much by watching it.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3606Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:09pm

Not sure I like the frozen in time thing. It raises lots of questions and looked kind of ridiculous in that clip.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3607Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:11pm

What questions does it raise?

From what people have been saying, it works very well in the film.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ShakinBaconGirl
#3608Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:17pm

The baker and wife are racing against time to get these 4 objects and then suddenly time is able to freeze and bend for Cinderella? I can just see the audience going "um what?"

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3609Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:18pm

i think the "frozen" moment on the steps of the Palace is the perfect way to present this song...wow i love this clip...:)

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3610Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:19pm

The baker and wife are racing against time to get these 4 objects and then suddenly time is able to freeze and bend for Cinderella? I can just see the audience going "um what?"

Um what... the exact thought I have about this reasoning

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3611Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:19pm

It's pretty clear the time freezing isn't, like, actual world-affecting magic. It's Cinderella thinking things out, the thought process.

It's taking a static song that works on stage and makes it showing rather than telling.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/3/14 at 12:19 PM

ShakinBaconGirl
#3612Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:21pm

Well then I guess I should have no reservations about it.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3613Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:24pm

What Kad said.

I don't think time is literally freezing, it's just a way for us to hear her inner monologue.

And I loved the short bit they showed.

....but the world goes 'round

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#3614Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:27pm

Yup, what others have said. If an audience member is confused...well then there's just no helping them. The clip is lovely. And, to put an end to the debate, this is DEFINITELY in a higher key. Anna sounds beautiful on it.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3615Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:28pm

She's the Zack Morris of the group. Time out!

themysteriousgrowl
#3616Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:35pm

Certainly parts of this thread have become exhausting.

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3618Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 1:31pm

Anna Kendrick is no Kim Crosby but she still sounds glorious.

tenorphil81
#3619Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 1:35pm

A friend of mine just got out of an advance press screening this morning in NYC. He's an opera singer who loves musical theatre, so I expected some scrutiny. Here are his brief initial thoughts on Facebook:

"People! It's so good. The book rewrites are great and song reordering was well done. Loved Agony and Steps of the Palace."

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3620Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 3:55pm

The time-floating-to-a-standstill was absolutely lovely in the context of the full scene, believe me. It was also one of the few blessedly cinematic moments in the otherwise linear retelling of the stage play. Watching it in the theater just made us smile so. :)

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#3621Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:19pm

Note, time isn't freezing, just slowed down. Really slowed down.

The "On the Steps of the Palace" clip was really great! I really like how real and in danger it feels for Cinderella when you see how she gets really stuck in the pitch.

I wish that her inner monologue was more realistic, as in that she sings the song in real time just before the Prince catches up to her on the top of the stairs, and she gets away. But, the time-slowing-down while she apparently now thinks all these thoughts in a really, really fast speed in a really, really quick amount of time is still cool...

I still wish her singing was in the original key and more beautiful, but at least it's full of character. :)

smallvillefan16
#3622Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:50pm

It gets annoying reading about everyones complaints especially those who have yet to see it. Just like every musical adaptation there will be different things. There isn't going to be a movie musical that is the show [if that's what you want then watch the damn show]. Just stop b!tching about every little thing that is different. This board is the most biased board around. With that said, I do enjoy people's thoughts who have actually seen the film and/or are not complaining that it isn't the stage show.

Showface
#3623Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:57pm

FULL SONG ON VEVO FOR FREE (until tomorrow I think)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/12/03/anna-kendrick-into-the-woods-on-the-steps-of-the-palace-premiere/19825683/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Wow! She sounds wonderful! The clip looks wonderful. I love how she belts the final note Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3624Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/14 at 7:08pm

That clip was beautiful, it proves that Rob Marshall is NOT a "one-trick pony".

Using "On The Steps of the Palace" as a number that takes place during the escape and time slows down for Cinderella to think about what happened a few seconds ago is great.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos