2024 Tony Awards

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3502024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 12:59pm

Per that DeBose NYT article:

”DeBose has announced that this will be her last year as Tonys host, at least for a while, in large part because she hopes to return to Broadway.”

This pretty much says Spider Woman is still happening, right?

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3512024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 1:00pm

(double post)

Oh look, a bibu!

MezzA101
#3522024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 4:16pm

2024 Tony Awards Predictions: What Should Win, and What Will Win?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/2024-tony-awards-predictions-what-should-win-and-what-will-win

MezzA101
#3532024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 4:27pm

Inside the Tonys’ most legendarily debauched after-party: Fights, fires and passed-out-legends

https://nypost.com/2024/06/15/entertainment/the-tonys-awards-wildest-after-party-is-at-the-carlyle-htoel?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3542024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:32pm

stagepotato said: "kennin said: "It is being reported that Broadway press is being shut out of the red carpet Julie James has it posted in her instagram story.

https://pagesix.com/2024/06/14/entertainment/broadway-press-shut-out-of-the-tony-awards-red-carpet/amp/
"

I’ve seen a handful of influencers on instagram post about going to the rehearsals. I’m assuming they’ll be invited to the actual event too. I personally would rather see Julie James go over influencers. But that’s just me
"

Decision has been reversed and James will be on the Red Carpet. not clear if that extends to BWW's Richard Ridge, but I presume it does. 

GottaGetAGimmick420
#3552024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 8:15pm

I feel like it’s weird that theatre influencers can just cry wolf and complain they weren’t invited for Tony’s press and then just… get invited. Theatrely I get, that’s an online publication. But influencers? There’s no need to be on the press line. Especially when it’s reduced space this year.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3562024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 8:40pm

If The Outsiders wins best musical tomorrow, it will become the first La Jolla transfer to take home top honors since Memphis.

A book-to-stage adaptation hasn’t won best musical since Fun Home, and if you don’t count the pandemic season, only four of the last sixteen winners were movie-based. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/15/24 at 08:40 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3572024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 10:29pm

I’ll also add, this year there is a strong possibility that best musical, best score, and best book will all go to different shows — which hasn’t happened since 2005 not counting the pandemic season (SpamalotThe Light in the Piazza…Spelling Bee).

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#3582024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/15/24 at 10:57pm

Did anyone go to that taping featuring two a-listers that happened last night?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#3592024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:07am

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’ll also add, this year there is a strong possibility that best musical, best score, and best book will all go to different shows — which hasn’t happened since 2005 not counting the pandemic season (Spamalot,The Light in the Piazza,…Spelling Bee)."

Really ping this is what happens! Let's go Outsiders Best Musical, Suffs Best Book, Stereophonic Best Score!!!

starlightlocamotion
#3602024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:22am

Just have a feeling the vote will split between OUTSIDERS/SUFFS/HK ... opening a path forward for ILLINOISE. I could be wrong. But I can't help but think this will certainly work in it's favor.

chrishuyen
#3612024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 12:26am

If anything I wonder if Suffs/Outsiders would split the "non-jukebox" vote which would lead to HK winning after all.

Meanwhile I'm now flip-flopping between Mendez and Lewis for Featured Actress.  The Vulture article mentions voters were invited back to Merrily in May so that could pave over any possible disgruntlement from Mendez's absences earlier on, but I also don't know how much HK has been campaigning for Lewis specifically.  (I know Neuwirth is still in contention but I kind of don't really think she's going to win anymore).

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#3622024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 1:18am

I have gone back and forth on Gold Derby for Best Musical but I think my final call is Suffs. The Outsiders or Hell's Kitchen wouldn't surprise me one bit. I don't think Illinoise is out of it either. Water For Elephants would surprise me.

I'm sticking with Kelli for Actress and Lindsay for Featured Actress plus Suffs for Score and The Outsiders for Book. I could definitely be underestimating HK though. 

Full Predictions:
Musical - Suffs
Revival of a Musical - Merrily We Roll Along
Lead Actor in a Musical - Jonathan Groff, Merrily We Roll Along
Lead Actress in a Musical - Kelli O'Hara. Days of Wine and Roses
Featured Actor in a Musical - Daniel Radcliffe, Merrily We Roll Along
Featured Actress in a Musical - Lindsay Mendez, Merrily We Roll Along
Original Score - Suffs, Shaina Taub
Book of a Musical - The Outsiders, Justin Levine & Adam Rapp
Direction of a Musical - Marta Friedman, Merrily We Roll Along
Choreography - Justin Peck, Illinoise
Scenic Design of a Musical - David Korins, Here Lies Love
Costume Design of a Musical - Tom Scutt, Cabaret
Lighting Design of a Musical - Hana S. Kim & Brian MacDevitt, The Outsiders
Sound Design of a Musical - Kai Harada, Merrily We Roll Along
Orchestrations - Will Butler & Justin Craig, Stereophonic

Play - Stereophonic
Revival of a Play - Appropriate
Lead Actor in a Play - Leslie Odom Jr., Purlie Victorious
Lead Actress in a Play - Sarah Paulson, Appropriate
Featured Actor in a Play - Corey Stoll, Appropriate
Featured Actress in a Play - Kara Young, Purlie Victorious
Direction of a Play - Daniel Aukin, Stereophonic
Scenic Design of a Play - dots, Appropriate
Costume Design of a Play - Dede Ayite, Jaja's African Hair Braiding
Lighting Design of a Play - Jiyoun Chang, Stereophonic
Sound Design of a Play - Ryan Rumery, Stereophonic

TOTALS:
6 wins: Merrily We Roll Along
5 wins: Stereophonic
4 wins: Appropriate
2 wins: The Outsiders, Purlie Victorious, Suffs
1 win: Cabaret, Days of Wine and Roses, Here Lies Love, Illinoise, Jaja's African Hair Braiding
0 wins: Back to the Future, Doubt, An Enemy of the People, The Great Gatsby, Grey House, Gutenberg, Hell's Kitchen, Lempicka, Mary Jane, Mother Play, The Notebook, Patriots, Prayer for the French Republic, Spamalot, Uncle Vanya, Water For Elephants, The Who's Tommy

Rentaholic2
#3632024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:46am

Dear Tony Gods, please give Best Score to Suffs, a musical, and not Stereophonic, a not musical. Amen. 

MezzA101
#3642024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:41am

Broadway’s Best: 25 Tony Awards Record Holders

https://www.billboard.com/lists/tony-awards-record-holders/production-with-the-most-nominations/

A.J.
#3652024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:16am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Did anyone go to that taping featuring two a-listers that happened last night?"

Alicia Keys and Jay Z are teasing a “Empire State of Mind” announcement on X, with Ayanna P pumping out teasers for tonight. 

I’m presuming they’ll appear in some combination of the Opening number,HK’s performance and presumably a reprise to end the broadcast once HK wins best musical.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 10:16 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#3662024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 10:44am

Are people really loving HK that much?  Months later all I really remember was the mom pouring water into tumblers over & over again.

MezzA101
theatergoer3
#3682024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:01am

Dress Rehersal Performance "Spoilers" 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Stereophonic - "Masquerade" 

Hell's Kitchen - Medley with Alicia Keys & Jay Z performing "Empire State of Mind" 

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:01 AM

bwayobsessed
#3692024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:46am

Rentaholic2 said: "Dear Tony Gods, please give Best Score to Suffs, a musical, and not Stereophonic, a not musical. Amen."

Or Outsiders :)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3702024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:50am

Rentaholic2 said: "Dear Tony Gods, please give Best Score to Suffs, a musical, and not Stereophonic, a not musical. Amen."

The  category is not Best Original Score of a Musical, but rather Best Original Score Written for the Theatre, so "not musicals" are just as deserving of the win.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/16/24 at 11:50 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#3712024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 1:02pm

inception said: "Are people really loving HK that much? Months later all I really remember was the mom pouring water into tumblers over & over again."

Well, our friends including us did not care for HK our age group 40-60

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#3722024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 1:09pm

theatergoer3 said: "Dress Rehersal Performance "Spoilers"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
Stereophonic - "Masquerade"

Hell's Kitchen - Medley with Alicia Keys & Jay Z performing "Empire State of Mind"

"

… anything else? (Spoiler tagged of course)

Rentaholic2
#3732024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 2:17pm

Kad said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Dear Tony Gods, please give Best Score to Suffs, a musical, and not Stereophonic, a not musical. Amen."

The category is not Best Original Score of a Musical, but rather Best Original Score Written for the Theatre, so "not musicals" are just as deserving of the win.
"

I stand by my prayer. 

spicemonkey
#3742024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 2:29pm

inception said: "Are people really loving HK that much? Months later all I really remember was the mom pouring water into tumblers over & over again."

The book is so cliched (just to put it in the nicest way).The only thing I liked about this show was Kecia’s vocal performance WOW

Videos