News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 19

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

lostboys&goldengirls
#450COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 11:40am

it just looks so RIGHT. I try to not get my hopes up because I've been so disappointed by musical film adaptations in the past, but I can't help but feel truly excited for this one. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#451COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 11:43am

Chills! Can not wait to see this!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#452COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 11:43am

oprah got it right. after watching that sneak peek my heart is genuinely full. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#453COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 1:42pm

This cast is unreal!!! Can’t wait

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Rentaholic2
#455COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 2:46pm

It looks incredible.  I can't get over how much Phylicia Pearl Mpasi looks like Fantasia Barrino.

lostboys&goldengirls
#456COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 3:36pm

Rentaholic2 said: "It looks incredible. I can't get over how muchPhylicia Pearl Mpasi looks like Fantasia Barrino."

I didn't even catch that that wasn't Fantasia! I kept thinking that they had done a great job making her look a bit younger.😂

sklabam
#457COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/15/23 at 9:26pm

the New York Times FIRST LOOK story on The Color Purple movie musical is quite in-depth. Have you seen that?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/05/movies/the-color-purple-taraji-p-henson-fantasia-barrino-first-look.html

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#458COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/20/23 at 6:58pm

This was a movie that I was already excited for, but after seeing that special look, my expectations have risen considerably. It's quite interesting that Warner Bros is letting the movie keep its December release date alongside the upcoming movie musical Wonka as well. Especially after the news of Dune: Part Two getting pushed back to 2024.

I wonder if this is what they're going to push for awards consideration this year alongside Barbie.

BETTY22
#459COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:06pm

I CANNOT WAIT.

The promotions of this movie have been fantastic. 

Voter
#460COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/20/23 at 7:54pm

Musical Master said: "This was a movie that I was already excited for, but after seeing that special look, my expectations have risen considerably. It's quite interesting that Warner Bros is letting the movie keep its December release date alongside the upcoming movie musical Wonka as well. Especially after the news of Dune: Part Two getting pushed back to 2024.

I wonder if this is what they're going to push for awards consideration this year alongside Barbie.
"

There are many reasons why Dune Part 2 was pushed back until next year (obviously that strikes with the number one reason).

Warner Bros. spent all their money on Barbie marketing. They had no idea that it will make over $1 billion. Those 2 movies are huge award movies and they didn’t want them to compete against each other. I don’t think that Wonka will be successful so they will just advertise The Color Purple a lot. The color purple movie actually looks really good so I think a lot of people will be surprised.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#461COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 9/21/23 at 9:54am

Can confirm that there is no major Best Picture campaign for Wonka. WB will only be pushing Wonka for below the line categories (costumes, production design, song, etc). 

More important for the studio than its Oscar chances, Dune Part 2 was moved off its release date because WB sees this as their potential next big cash cow franchise. Villeneuve has recently revealed his desire to make a third Dune film, adapting the "Dune Messiah" novel. He will also be producing the planned Children of Dune series for Max. So, Dune Part 2 has to be financially successful in order to generate interest and justify a new franchise. WB has decided (rightfully) that they need the star power of their A List cast to drum up the needed ticket sales.

Barbie and The Color Purple will be WB's major Best Picture pushes this year. It wouldn't make sense to move Color Purple's release because movie musicals already have a set audience size (usually) and its financial well being will not depend on Imax and/or 3D screenings like other tentpole films. Plus, this is one of the few genres of films that could increase its box office based on Oscar noms/wins, so awards season is the best release window. It's a shame the stars wont be able to promote it, but a smart marketing team will be able to craft a decent campaign for it based on the beloved nature of the material alone. 

The special look is great. Really hoping this one delivers!

teddy1996
#462COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/2/23 at 1:56am

SAG-AFTRA and AMPTP will have another round of negotiations today. the strike can end within the next 15 days just in time for the press tour. fingers crossed. 

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#463COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:22pm

teddy1996 said: "SAG-AFTRA and AMPTP will have another round of negotiations today. the strike can end within the next 15 days just in time for the press tour. fingers crossed."

And I think having the press tour will be key to the success of the film.   I'm with you teddy -- fingers crossed

teddy1996
#464COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/6/23 at 4:05pm

a brand new motion poster for the movie: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyET6TJPvRc/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

honestly this poster is way too photoshopped. it looks like AI. but on the bright side we are getting a new trailer next week. 

BETTY22
#465COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/6/23 at 4:13pm

Some big movie musical hadn't done so great recently....I'm hoping this is a monster hit.

KevinKlawitter
teddy1996
#467COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/10/23 at 9:39am

i honestly prefer the first trailer. it captures the essence of the musical much more than this new trailer. also taraji’s singing sounds so good here

teddy1996
#468COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/29/23 at 7:38pm

according to some movie theaters, the runtime is listed as 140 minutes 

BroadwayBen
#469COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/30/23 at 12:45pm

I am just SO excited for this film.   It's an amazing story, and I've always loved the music.  I wasn't able to see Fantasia on stage in this, so it's kind of a dream come true. 

teddy1996
#470COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/1/23 at 8:33am

the movie is officially rated PG-13 for mature thematic content, sexual content, violence and language.

teddy1996
#471COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/4/23 at 12:28am

blitz bazawule has screened the movie in brazil recently and it has gotten nothing but good reactions over there 

teddy1996
#472COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/8/23 at 8:32pm

the SAG-AFTRA strike has officially ended today!! we are gonna get a proper press tour run!!

JasonC3
#473COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/8/23 at 8:40pm

teddy1996 said: "the SAG-AFTRA strike has officially ended today!! we are gonna get a proper press tour run!!"

While the strike's ending has been declared, the deal still has to be approved by the union's board and then the membership. 

Updated On: 11/8/23 at 08:40 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#474COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/8/23 at 8:45pm

JasonC3 said: "teddy1996 said: "the SAG-AFTRA strike has officially ended today!! we are gonna get a proper press tour run!!"

While the strike's ending has been declared, the deal still has to be approved by the union's board and then the membership.

"

The deal won't be in place until then, but the strike ends at 12:01 tonight.which means deturn t9 business as usual.

Updated On: 11/8/23 at 08:45 PM

Videos