pixeltracker

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?- Page 2

Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#25re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:30am

This is premature speculation on his part. It is an educated guess, not based on anything other than what any one could guess. January and February are cruel months for any but a few shows nowadays. Attendance has dipped each week. Still, Ragtime has increased it's gross 32% over the last week. Word of mouth could build the attendance through December to give them momentum, but certainly the odds are against them.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#26re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:35am

"Officially, the producers say, "there are no plans to close at this time."
Unofficially, it's likely to close Jan. 3 at a total loss, several production sources say."

It's not speculation. He has sources at the show who have informed him of this. Riedel doesn't just print crap that he makes up. It's always founded in something.

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#27re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:50am

...and my sources INSIDE the production say he either got his info wrong or is just guessing.

CAX
#28re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:53am

I wonder what his purpose of announcing this speculation is. Is it to warn people? To put the final nail in the coffin. Broadway is looking a bleeker and bleeker place and this obsession with stars is getting downright disgusting. What happened to a show MAKING a star?

Wildcard
#29re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

It would be sad if it does close so soon. Sure, the production has flaws (I felt rushed while watching it) but it's a beautiful show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

".and my sources INSIDE the production say he either got his info wrong or is just guessing."

Riiiight.

Updated On: 12/2/09 at 11:53 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:54am

I really hope he's wrong this time. If Ragtime's to close in January , I think it'll really hurt their chances for the Tony award.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#32re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 11:55am

It might not be Reidel's speculation. But it's speculation on the part of his sources. There's usually just as much fretting and gossiping among "production sources" as their is here. For them to say it's "likely" tells me they're just guessing too. My inside sources disagree with his inside sources.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#33re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:15pm

Wonder if Bobby Steggert's tweet " Please come see RAGTIME, folks!!! It's now or never :)" is any indicator of the closing.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#34re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:23pm

Don't mind ljay, he's been pissy and jealous all season of any revival that's competing with the mediocre Night Music.

I saw this production 7 times in DC, where it played to sold-out audiences and extended its run. This show deserves a better fate, but if New York audiences can't appreciate it, that's their loss.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#35re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:25pm

Factor in that we're still in a recession, people are spending less, tourism is way down and that's one big reason shows are closing left and right. Prices are too high. Going to the theater is a luxury.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#36re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:30pm

Marquise though, the audiences are still flocking to The Lion King, Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#37re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:36pm

Dottie I believe the reason those shows are still thriving despite the recession is because (those three shows) in particular are "safe bets". They've been running for awhile now, have won numerous awards and are recognizable "brands". Lion King is based on the Disney classic. Jersey Boys is a Tony winner based on the career of a legendary singing group and Wicked (whether some here like to admit it or not) is a theater phenomenon unto itself.

whatever2
#38re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:40pm

but weren't we even *deeper* in the recession when the show sold-out and extended in DC?

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#39re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:44pm

Yes but the show was never meant to run for a longer period of time than what the producers allowed in DC. It's staying power is being tested now that it's in NYC. We're not talking about a limited engagement that extends here and there and finally closes. We're talking about a production that has to attract a certain amount of theatergoers in order to run and survive.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#40re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:47pm

Also, D.C. theater isn't as overwhelmingly dependent on tourist business as Broadway is.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#41re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:54pm

and I'm sure the D.C. production didn't have ticket prices as high as $125.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#42re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:57pm

This is disappointing news, but not shocking news. Some of what Riedel says ends up being true and some of it ends up being false...either way, he has a horrible attitude towards Broadway and it's saddening.

I only wish Ragtime the best of luck! It deserves it.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

massofmen
#43re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:57pm

told ya so.

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#44re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:00pm

maybe what Bobby Steggert means is that if audiences don't start showing up, it is "now or never"--if they start having climbing grosses and rising attendance both- the show will not close. This is in the hands of NYC audiences. Those who have seen the show are standing and clapping for the most part. The problem is getting others to check it out.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:01pm

Don't mind ljay, he's been pissy and jealous all season of any revival that's competing with the mediocre Night Music.

He may have been excited about Night Music, but having sat next to him at the first performance of Ragtime, I can assure you that he really enjoyed the production, as he has stated both on the board, and in person to me, many, many times.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:07pm

Thank you, Adamgreer! A simple search shows that I did enjoy the production.
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?page=2&thread=1006013&boardid=0

I have NEVER knocked it, but I have been honest about its troubled grosses.

You can always count on someone like orangeskittles to judge a production (Night Music) without seeing it! At least I see the productions I post about! Someone is bitter.
Updated On: 12/2/09 at 01:07 PM

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#47re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:09pm

Dagobert - Do you work for the RAGTIME revival?

Your strong support and positive outlook was encouraging, at first. Now it's just annoying. Some people don't want to accept what's right in front of them I suppose?

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#48re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:10pm

told ya so.

Is this at all necessary?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#49re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:15pm

Well that sucks if the rumor is true re: Michael Reidel: RAGTIME to Close January 3rd?

I tried and lost the lottery three times this past weekend. Had I known, I would've probably splurged for a seat, but I was counting on it still being around for my next trip. Seemed by the size of the crowd it was doing well but then I suppose holiday weekends can be deceiving.
Updated On: 12/2/09 at 01:15 PM

Videos