pixeltracker

Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!- Page 2

Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#25Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:08pm

This is fantastic. I can't wait to go back to this theatre once it's renamed and see "The Stephen Sondheim Theatre" listed under that Playbill banner!

PeterJamesZielinski Profile Photo
PeterJamesZielinski
#26Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:15pm

Gotta be honest. Watching/shooting this curtain call for BWW and seeing Sondheim's face the moment they told him was probably one of the coolest moments of my life.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#27Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:16pm

Next, Ockie needs to get a theatre named for him.

The Jack Oakie Theater?

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 3/22/10 at 10:16 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#28Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:29pm

WOW! Is this for real? This is the greatest news of the year...maybe of the decade. Congrats to Steve. He really deserves this.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#29Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 10:58pm

Sondheim's reaction to this was priceless. Happy Birthday!

After Eight
#30Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:05pm

Poor Henry Miller. So great to see how Broadway safeguards the memory of its past.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#31Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:49pm

This is obviously awesome!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#32Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:49pm

There is a video of him reacting to this? I can't find it if it's on the main page. Would someone post a link, please?

Very exciting news!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:51pm

I am so unbelievably thrilled!

WishingOnlyWounds2
#34Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:51pm

I can't help feeling bad for Henry Miller, I think a Theatre not named after a person would be more appropriate, but alas, congrats Stephen!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#35Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:52pm

It just happened a couple of hours ago. I'm sure it will surface.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#36Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:14am

Talk about a birthday gift! This made me squeal like a little girl. No lie.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#37Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:33am

This isn't actually the first theatre to be named after him. The Stephen Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts in Fairfield, IA is.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#38Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:48am

This renaming better come with a barrage of Sondheim revivals!

YES! A rep company drawn from Broadway's top talent performing in limited-run revivals of shows by Sondheim and his contemporaries.

Sort of like what we had in the summer of 2002 at the Kennedy Center.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:54am

Hopefully the MERRILY revival will play there next season.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#40Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 12:55am

This isn't actually the first theatre to be named after him. The Stephen Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts in Fairfield, IA is.

Yep! I literally live right across the street from it.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 1:29am

That's something wonderful.

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#42Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 1:38am

And I guess Haimes postponed the MERRILY revival for 2010-11 because...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sondheims_Merrily_Aims_For_Broadway_In_200910_20080506

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 1:46am

Added bonus: Arthur Laurents spends the rest of his life knowing that NO ONE ever wanted to name a theater after him, but EVERYONE wanted a theater named "The Stephen Sondheim."

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#44Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 1:49am

What an amazing Birthday treat for a living legend. I am beyond thrilled for Mr. Sondheim. Now just picture it: Raul Esparza in Merrily We Roll Along Opening in 2010 at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre. Ugh the fantasy of that happening is beautiful

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Brick
Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#46Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 6:58am

I can't legitimately feel sorry for Henry Miller. There have been many other cornerstones of Broadway that have lost their name over a theatre before. It is just a way of the world: Names come and names go, replaced by names more recent, more important to the current Broadway. I like the change. Now, if they were to change the Gershwin or another one that is named after people who were so important, and ARE so important, I will have something to say about that.

After Eight
#47Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 7:31am

"EVERYONE wanted a theater named "The Stephen Sondheim."

Not EVERYONE.

And not even everyone.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#48Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 8:33am

There are plenty of worthy people who don't have theaters named after them.

However, I don't udnerstand why that should take anything away from the fact that Sondheim absolutely deserves one, and is finally getting one. His achievements abslutely merit having a theater named after him.

Don't blame Sondheim for the fact that other worthy individuals haven't been given the honor yet.

After Eight
#49Henry Miller Theatre's to Be Renamed as THE STEPHEN SONDHEIM THEATRE!
Posted: 3/23/10 at 8:42am

"Don't blame Sondheim for the fact that other worthy individuals haven't been given the honor yet. "

Adamgreer:

If you're addressing me, I'm not blaming him. I'm blaming those who name theatres.

Videos