pixeltracker

What was the worst Tony season?- Page 2

What was the worst Tony season?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#25What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 4:35pm

Yeah, I have always wondered why it's considered the way it is, but I don't know the answer to that! If anyone does, please enlighten. :)

A work of art is an invitation to love.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#26What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 5:07pm

Besides the seat number requirement, a Tony eligible show must play in a house in the Theatre district, that is between 41st and 54th street and 6th and 8th avenues. The only exception is Lincoln Center.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#27What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 5:17pm

They made an exception in 1965 for the ANTA Washington Square theatre so MAN OF LA MANCHA could be nominated (and win) for Best Musical.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#28What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 5:19pm

shows that played at City Center used to be eligible for Tonys as well, right?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

luvtheEmcee
#29What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 10:55pm

That is what I assumed, but why is Lincoln Center the only exception?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#30What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/28/10 at 11:07pm

Because they want it to be so.

As far as Shakespeare in the Park, I doubt the Public would want to reserve all those extra tickets (about 1400) to accommodate Tony voters. If the shows ran for the entire summer it might be worth it, but the current model wouldn't work because there would be even fewer tickets available to the general public.

luvtheEmcee
#31What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 12:49am

That makes sense. Especially because only a percentage of the theater really goes to the line anyway. And as far as City Center goes, of course, the runs are even shorter.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#32What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 5:16am

From what I understand, the location of the theatre has nothing to do with what makes a theatre a Broadway theatre. It has to do more with the kinds of contracts that they have with various unions etc as well as the number of seats.

Back in the day, there were Broadway theatres that weren't in what we would consider to be the theatre district today. Didn't make them less of a Broadway theatre or the shows that they played in less Tony worthy.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#33What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 3/29/10 at 3:41pm

....and Fela isn't the best musical ever written?

What was the worst Tony season?

Anton Spivack
#34What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 12:20pm

For me, it's a tossup between 1985, 1989 and 1995. I'm leaning towards 1985, as three categories had been dropped and the ending to the Tonys was underwhelming.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#35What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 12:42pm

This year is really climbing the charts!

Falsettolands
#36What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 4:34pm

There was so much excellent stuff this season. Especially in terms of plays. If everything that has opened so far is it, and that's all they have to work with, there's still a lot of really excellent work here.

Jarethan
#37What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 4:55pm

winston89 said: "From what I understand, the location of the theatre has nothing to do with what makes a theatre a Broadway theatre. It has to do more with the kinds of contracts that they have with various unions etc as well as the number of seats.

Back in the day, there were Broadway theatres that weren't in what we would consider to be the theatre district today. Didn't make them less of a Broadway theatre or the shows that they played in less Tony worthy.
"

It immediately came to mind that Irene Worth won the Tony for a production of Sweet Bird of Youth that payed at the (now gone) Harkness Theatre on Broadway in the low 60s.  I can only even remember one other show playing there in my lifetime...a musical version of Enter Laughing...don't remember its title.

aj88
#38What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 5:18pm

Jarethan said: "winston89 said: "From what I understand, the location of the theatre has nothing to do with what makes a theatre a Broadway theatre. It has to do more with the kinds of contracts that they have with various unions etc as well as the number of seats.

"

It immediately came to mind that Irene Worth won the Tony for a production of Sweet Bird of Youth that payed at the (now gone) Harkness Theatre on Broadway in the low 60s. I can only even remember one other show playing there in my lifetime...a musical version of Enter Laughing...don't remember its title.

"

I believe that musical was SO LONG 174th Street.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#39What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 6:04pm

blaxx said: "Oh, and this season is pretty awful too.

No strong contender for Best Musical, which hasn't happened in a very long time.
"

Disagree. I'd be delighted if the Tonys happen and the transporting "Girl From the North Country" wins best musical

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#40What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 6:20pm

I think 1985 easily takes the cake. No Lead Actor or Actress in a Musical or Choreography categories. One OK musical (Big River) and a bunch of also-rans that wouldn't even get a nomination in other years. Even some others mentioned like 1995 had better quality shows.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#41What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 6:26pm

Amen to that. North Country fits pretty much every bill for Best Musical Tony winners these last number of years, despite the fact that it is a jukebox musical (or some would say a play with music). It is mainly serious in plot and nature, transporting, it effectively balances humor with heartbreak, and it is altogether stunning. North Country is a Fun Home/Once/The Band's Visit type that can easily break through and become a clear favorite. It's gotten the best reviews among the eligible musicals this season, and I think that will have more of an effect than the originality (and perhaps length) of Six and the glitz and glamour of Moulin Rouge!. Also, where North Country is intimate and heart-wrenching, similar competitor Jagged Little Pill is often uneven and shouty. That will cost JLP greatly.

Move over, Jersey Boys. Broadway has a second jukebox tuner with its pieces all in place to win Best Musical (if the Tonys were to occur), and its name is Girl from the North Country

Oh look, a bibu!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#42What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 6:30pm

So funny to start reading this thread as if it was just started yesterday and the early posts are over a decade old. And blaxx's statement about "this" season echoes true today...

What about the 1969/70 season when the two main best musical nominees were APPLAUSE and COCO? With other eligible musicals including GEORGY, BILLY and CRY FOR US ALL??? 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Alex Kulak2
#43What was the worst Tony season?
Posted: 4/6/20 at 7:14pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "I think 1985 easily takes the cake. No Lead Actor or Actress in a Musical or Choreography categories. One OK musical (Big River) and a bunch of also-rans that wouldn't even get a nomination in other years. Even some others mentioned like 1995 had better quality shows."

I remember a podcast talked about how the Broadway slump of the 80s was due to the AIDS crisis. We lost so many talented artists before they were even in their prime.

Videos