pixeltracker

Book of Mormon - Box office Smash- Page 2

Book of Mormon - Box office Smash

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#25Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 7:26am

siny, you must be confused or something. Women and children and families will NOT come and see this show. Perhaps you should see it again to understand that its content is just not for you. You're clearly doing something wrong.

massofmen, I'm still interested to hear an estimate on how long you think it will run. How dim a flash and in what kind of pan, please?

Thanks in advance.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

broadwayjim42
#26Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 10:24am

I was told last Thursday that Friday and Saturday discounts are cancelled until further notice.

Hank
#27Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 10:28am

I'm a 60 year old guy and I enjoyed BOM very much too, and I recommended it to my kids. I also like the good old fashioned shows (most recently Anything Goes) but I'm allways up for a good laugh. I don't think this show will attract a lot of groups, but there are a lot of us old geezers out there that will go in and see it on our own.

AEA AGMA SM
#28Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 10:36am

And you really don't think college groups are going to come to see this show? Really? Because it seems like every senior class that is coming in to the city now for showcases are trying everything they can to get tickets to the show.

BroadwayBen
#29Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 10:37am

Why are you saying this is a box office smash? It did 76 percent of sales last week? What constitutes a "smash"? Kathy Griffin did 105%. That's a smash.

leefowler
#30Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 12:10pm

It did over 100% last week (though with only 7 previews)

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

stone_blue
#31Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 1:05pm

Has anyone done standing room? I'm coming up to the city for a weekend but only have two open show slots, and would like to know how realistic it would be to bank on getting SRO if I don't win at lottery.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#32Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 5:38pm

^I'd like to know this too! Does anyone know how many standing spots there are and how easy it is to get them.

bwayfan7000
#33Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 5:42pm

I asked this same information in another thread (one specifically about the lottery) and from what I remember, they are $27 and a line for them forms after the lottery. I think they are sold around 7:00 for an 8:00 performance. They're supposed to be a great view if you don't mind standing, and I might be giving it a try if I lose the lotto next week.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#34Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/16/11 at 6:05pm

Based on the grosses, it seems like there's 14 SRO spots. I might try SRO as well next time, though it would be after the show opens(early April).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#35Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:33am

Did standing room tonight. I believe there were 14 given away tonight, though people in front of me told me 16 were given away yesterday and 12 the day before.

If you don't win lottery (which you WON'T - 400 people showed up today and they had to turn people away because by 6 o'clock people were still waiting down the block to put their name in the bucket), SRO is totally worth it. Great view and there's a bar to lean on. It only gets annoying during intermission when you're in everyone's way, and when the crew that stands in the back gets too chatty (but Matt Stone stood behind me all night, so I can't complain!).

Anyway, this show is worth every penny, standing or sitting.
Updated On: 3/17/11 at 01:33 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:38am

So, with standing room is there a mad rush to get in a line to get them after the lottery?

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#37Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:50am

Unfortunately, I think people are getting smarter about it, so now people start lining up early (before lottery) for SRO. I tried lottery last week and no one was standing in line for SRO before the guy doing the lottery announced they were selling SRO tickets. As soon as he said that, people ran to line up. HOWEVER, today people were putting their name in the bucket for lottery and then immediately running to line up for SRO.

My advice is line up a little early for lottery (by 5:10 max) and then get on the line for SRO. It becomes about 2 hours of standing around, but unless you can afford full price, that's the only way to get in.

suechru
#38Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:51am

Oh so that's what the line stretching down the block was? I had bought my ticket with the discount code a few weeks back. I was in row F on the far side (literally against the wall) of the mezzanine and it was a great view.

I don't know about the "it can't tour/the fervor will die down" stuff. Yes, the show was definitely way out there in terms of humor but with the exception of two older ladies (whom I don't think they knew what kind of show they were going to see/weren't familiar with South Park) who were sitting next to me the audience went crazy for the show.

Also realize that Jon Stewart's plugs mean A LOT. While waiting to get in, I chatted with two kids (I'm assuming college students) who had driven down from Mass. and showed up in MORMON COSTUMES. They ended up in the absolute last row but if the show is getting THOSE kind of fans when it hasn't even officially opened, I don't expect anything to die down until AT LEAST after the Tonys.

That said, I get the show wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, (so it probably won't run for like 20 years a la Phantom with school groups coming to see it), but there'll likely be a pretty decent run for this.

2010: Next to Normal (May 25), Hair (Jun 9), American Idiot (Sep 10), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Sep 26), The Scottsboro Boys (Oct 17), Fela! (Nov 14), Next to Normal (Dec 30) 2011: That Championship Season (Feb 15), La Cage Aux Folles (Mar 16), The Book of Mormon (Mar 16), Anything Goes (Mar 30)

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#39Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 3:44am

It is absolutely KILLING me that I can't come to NY this second to see this show. A friend saw it (a director who was recently nominated for a Tony) and they said that it was the best musical they'd ever seen. I doubt I'll agree to THAT, but I've no doubt it's great. Matt & Trey are the best satirists we have these days.

suechru
#40Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 4:17am

I definitely enjoyed it! I can't wait for the cast album as some of the songs were definitely very catchy (and others downright hysterical.) I'm really curious as to what number(s) they're going to perform when/if the show does the talk show circuit or at the Tonys. I would say most of them can't be done on television then I remember how Spring Awakening would perform things bleeped out, so anything's possible.

2010: Next to Normal (May 25), Hair (Jun 9), American Idiot (Sep 10), Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Sep 26), The Scottsboro Boys (Oct 17), Fela! (Nov 14), Next to Normal (Dec 30) 2011: That Championship Season (Feb 15), La Cage Aux Folles (Mar 16), The Book of Mormon (Mar 16), Anything Goes (Mar 30)

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#41Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 9:42am

Your director friend was right. It's one of the best musicals I've ever seen. If given a choice to see ANY musical ever written, right now, I'd choose to go back and see this again.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 12:18pm

See, I was surprised at how "clean" a lot of the songs were. Most of the vulgarities are in the book, with the exception of a handful of numbers. All of the Mormon-based songs are ironic but not vulgar.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwayfan7000
#43Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:17pm

Would you be able to hear if you won the lottery if you're in line for SRO?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#44Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 1:22pm

Yes.

suechru
#45Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/17/11 at 3:00pm

That's true, about most of the songs being clean - at least the I Am Africa / Turn it Off / Hello numbers no profanity. Avenue Q did It Sucks to be Me on tv and just bleeped out Kate's curse so even the songs that have a lyric or two that the censors would object to could be treated the same way.

It's really a great show, the message I took away is that if you look closely at ANY religion it's kind of silly (or downright ridiculous) but even the most ridiculous religion (even one involving frogs) can give people comfort and hope, and that's a good on its own.

fitz2
TarasHope
#47Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/18/11 at 10:39pm

Massofmen "You cannot bring families to the show"
themysteriousgrowl "Women & Children and families will not come and see this show"

Really? I took my wife and 14 year old daughter this week, and we all agreed it was fantastic.

What is so bad in this show that families or children cannot see? I know that there is a huge segment of Americans that are so puritanical and judgemental - -the ones that get uptight because Janet Jackson pops a boob on a football game halftime, but yet have no problem letting their kids see guns for sale in WalMart or taking them to eat fast food - - I guess we all have our own ideas about what is offensive.....but I digress.
The point is. . . Are the people who really would not take their kids to see this show the same people who probably would not be at the theatre in NY anyway?? Ie., the average theatre-goer is likely a little more educated than average, tends to be a little more urban than average, and a significant % would be from out of the country??? So I would not be so quick to dismiss BoM. People will flock to see it. . . Yes, maybe even women and children. Yes it will not likely have the mass appeal that Lion King or Mamma Mia has, but I expect it to be around for a long time, and would be shocked if it does not plow through the Tonys. It is 2 hours of pure genius.

Oh - -and my 14 year old daughter ranked her shows as BoM best, Avenue Q 2nd, Priscilla third, and Mamma Mia last.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#48Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/18/11 at 11:32pm

I've seen young teenagers and parents loving every second of it.

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#49Book of Mormon - Box office Smash
Posted: 3/19/11 at 10:51pm

I saw a LOT of teenage boys at the past couple of times I've done lottery. Definitely saw a mother being coerced into the box office by her two teen boys. So I wouldn't necessarily rule out family sales, at least not for families with children above age 14.

Videos