pixeltracker

Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?- Page 2

Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?

kidbroadway2
#25Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:20am

BettyBoy, I was wondering why you think Jeff Marx is dead weight?

Porter2 Profile Photo
Porter2
#26Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:31am

If it were up to me, I'd award it to Catch Me If You Can (!), but the most deserving is definitely Scottsboro Boys.

And CockeyedOptimist2, I completely agree about Stroman.

“You need three things in the theater - the play, the actors and the audience, - and each must give something.” (Kenneth Haigh)
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 11:31 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#27Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:34am

Of course there isn't anyone who thinks that. You're being joshed, dear.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#28Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:41am

After seeing Show Business and hearing what some people have said online, I don't know how talented Jeff Marx is. I mean, he doesn't read or write music, made Jeff Whitty's life a nightmare and give feedback to Bobby about the music. His contributions seem a little less than weighty unless he's responsible for a majority of the lyrics of Avenue Q.

I am glad to see Bobby onto another success. I don't think Jeff will see another one because he's not particularly motivated and not so pleasant from what I've heard.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:44am

"If it were up to me, I'd award it to Catch Me If You Can"

You lost all credibility with me on that one. It was the blandest musical of the year with a score that made WONDERLAND look like WEST SIDE STORY.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#30Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:47am

"a score that made WONDERLAND look like WEST SIDE STORY."

I LOVE Jordan.

Also what makes me irritated is that all these tripe musicals like CATCH ME and ADDAMS get tours because of the name recognition so every year my Broadway touring house is filled with this crap.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:30pm

I'd vote for Sister Act or The Scottsboro Boys.

However, BoM will (unfortunately) win about 7-8 awards, and the ceremony will be duller than dishwater, as usual.

massofmen
#32Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:44pm

i still think BOM might do the urinetown thing...win best book, music and director (among others) and lose the best musical to Sister Act.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#33Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:49pm

I don't think Sister Act is in the running for anything. It has been totally eclipsed on all fronts. In a weaker year, it would have stood a chance.

Katia2 Profile Photo
Katia2
#34Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:53pm

I'm enough of a curmudgeon that I'd be content if any musical other than BoM won. Don't know why I'm so bitter about this show-- maybe just the endless repetition from its fans of "maggots in my scrotum."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:01pm

I have not seen it but I loved the other 3 nominees. Any of them deserve it. I would love Scottsboro or Catch Me to get it but Mormon seems to be the 800 pound gorilla in the room so I have kind of resigned myself to taking most of the Tonys it nominated for.

It is a shame Catch Me score was at least not nominated but they have a straightjacket 70 4 in each category so this suffered as a result.

Poster Emeritus

Porter2 Profile Photo
Porter2
#36Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:01pm

You lost all credibility with me on that one. It was the blandest musical of the year with a score that made WONDERLAND look like WEST SIDE STORY.

I was being sarcastic! Nothing was better than Scottsboro this season (Mormon comes in close second and I wouldn't be that upset if it won.)

But I do feel that if Catch Me was staged differently, it could've been A LOT better. The TV theme just didn't work that well, but I still really enjoyed it.

“You need three things in the theater - the play, the actors and the audience, - and each must give something.” (Kenneth Haigh)
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 01:01 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:15pm

To each his own.

Poster Emeritus

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#38Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:20pm

I agree with many of you. Scottsboro Boys should win, but BOM will take the Tony.

To any of you who have not seen BOM yet, and are planning to, forget the hype. You will walk out of the show, feeling entertained, yet somewhat disappointed. All this hype is great for ticket sales, but it really affected how I felt about the show on a whole. It's by no means a bad show. I liked it, and will see it again. I just left feeling like it should have been more.

I also agree that Gad is basically back in Spelling Bee. Pretty much the same character....maybe just a little more grown up.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#39Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:26pm

any of you who have not seen BOM yet, and are planning to, "forget the hype. You will walk out of the show, feeling entertained, yet somewhat disappointed. All this hype is great for ticket sales, but it really affected how I felt about the show on a whole. It's by no means a bad show. I liked it, and will see it again. I just left feeling like it should have been more."

I agree and I am planning on possibly seeing it again. I do love the music though. If Sister Act Beat it out, I wouldn't mind. I haven't seen the other 2 nominees but everyone I know who has seen them all are saying Scottsboro Boys deserves to win.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 06:26 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:46pm

BOM is a really great time at the theatre. Is it worth $400 bucks. Hell no. It's a total blast, but the producers and box office are playing games with the tickets to do a sneaky shell game that sells more inventory for higher prices. They are very smart.

BOM is fun, but not substantial. Scottsboro is profound, thought-provoking and has a lot of depth. Sad it will not win.

To me Gad is so overrated, its not funny. He basically lifts his performance from Chris Farley. It's a no brainer.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#41Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:46pm

BOM is a really great time at the theatre. Is it worth $400 bucks. Hell no. It's a total blast, but the producers and box office are playing games with the tickets to do a sneaky shell game that sells more inventory for higher prices. They are very smart.

BOM is fun, but not substantial. Scottsboro is profound, thought-provoking and has a lot of depth. Sad it will not win.

To me Gad is so overrated, its not funny. He basically lifts his performance from Chris Farley. It's a no brainer.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#42Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 7:03pm

I have not seen (or listened to the cast recording) of Scottsboro Boys, so I'm pretty content if BoM wins. I think it's a really good show.

Was Sister Act really so good that some of you think that it should win over BoM? Or is that just some kind of aversion to the popular that some of us theatergoers seem to be so proud of having. Now that I've written that sentence, I know that Sister Act is also really popular. So I really don't have a very sound argument.

But I think the aversion to the popular might hold for those who are on the Scottsboro over BoM camp.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 7:03pm

I was not a fan of Farley's but I did enjoy Gad.

Just give the world Love.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#44Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 7:09pm

In all seriousness, I have nothing bad to say about BOM. The talent is outstanding with each role completely explored, the music is incredible and obviously heavily influenced by other musicals while also being original. Maybe it is flawed but then again so is every single piece of art that exists. It is a major highlight in American Musical Theatre and should definitely be recognized as such with Best New Musical. And it is the obvious candidate for book, score, and director. Normally people kvetch about a major musical's book to death (Wicked, Memphis Phantom, obvs.) and here is a show that tells a fully realized story with more than 2 character you can actually give a fluck about. And it's not based on a movie! Hallelujah! It deserves best musical. Definitely. In my opinion and probably 90% of the sold out crowd every performance!

God Bless America! Fight Aids! Equality!
Updated On: 5/30/11 at 07:09 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 9:15pm

To the comment about forgetting the hype: that's exactly what I'm afraid of: being let down. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks, but I've heard from too many personal friends that it's GOOD, but not FAB is keeping me grounded.

I've listened to the cd a few times, and I like some it quite a bit and am wary of other parts.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 9:34pm

I thought Andrew Rannels was great in BoM, but thought Josh Gad was doing a strange cross between William Barfee and a Chris Farley imitation. I found him incredibly irritating and wouldn't even have nominated him for an award, much less have him be the favorite to win.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#47Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 10:06pm

adamgreer-my thoughts exactly!

bossbear062
#48Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 10:26pm

All this is pointless cause we all know that's when it is all said and done Charlie Sheen will be in for the CLEAN sweep...

April Saul
#49Is there anyone who thinks The Book of Mormon shouldn't win best musical?
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:07pm

The Book of Mormon backlash on this board is nuts! I saw it the first week, had a grin on my face the whole time, and left the theater walking on air. A couple of weeks later, I took my entire extended family and each person had a ball. More recently, I've been listening to the CD and singing along in my car, still laughing.

Yes, Scottsboro Boys was a memorable achievement and Sister Act and Catch Me were kind of fun...but seriously, guys??

Videos