pixeltracker

Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptations (2002-Present)- Page 2

Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptations (2002-Present)

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#25Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:06am

I haven't seen Annie, Jersey Boys, or Into the Woods yet (seeing it next week)

My favorites in order:
Sweeney Todd
Dreamgirls
Passing Strange - dang I wish this was on bluray and not just DVD
(These are the 3 films I can watch at any time and still enjoy immensely)

Chicago
Hairspray
Les Miserables

(I enjoyed the next 2 more than most people here)
Rent--taped final live performance is better
Mamma Mia

Producers
Phantom

(And I'd rather watch paint dry than watch the last 2 again)
Nine
Rock of Ages

And I agree Hedwig is at the top if we start with 2001

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#26Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:20am

I kind of agree with the rankings for the most part. I might switch the order of "Hairspray" and "Chicago" but not a big deal. I would have "Les Miserables" lower because Russell Crowe just ruined it for me. Not only his singing voice but his acting was just "flat". I like "Rent" more than critics because I liked having the some of the OBC in the movie. They may have seen too old in movie but at least they could sing their parts not like some of the people in other musicals. I would have also placed "The Producers" closer to the bottom of the rankings. The movie could not capture the stage chemistry of Lane and Broderick

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#27Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:26am

I personally loved Hairspray, Chicago, and Les Mis, and I didn't really like Nine or Phantom. All the others were enjoyable for what they were, but either the source show (Mamma Mia) or the film itself (Rent) just didn't make me fall in love.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#28Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 12:43pm

I can't rank them all because I haven't seen them all. However, I disagree with several rankings for those I did see.

I would rank Sweeney Todd close to the bottom. The atmosphere was great, as was most of the acting. I didn't mind that the singing was subpar. However, I didn't like the fact that so many songs got chopped and I thought SBC was a disaster. The attempt to introduce humor via his character and the gratuitous amount of gushing blood when his throat was cut annoyed me. Also, when Sweeney Todd pushed Mrs. Whats-her-name into the oven, the screaming and the realism of film were disturbing -- Sweeney Todd is essentially a fairy tale, where we all tend to ignore the level of violence. This film wouldn't let us do that.

Les Miz was WONDERFUL, with three exceptions: SBC was, once more, a disaster. At least he was clowning as a character that is meant to be humorous. The Thenardiers are supposed to have a love-hate relationship, but his kiss-throwing implied otherwise. Second, the live singing, in my view, was a failure; even Colm Wilkinson sounded wobbly. Third, Russell Crowe was a disaster even more than SBC -- he couldn't sing AT ALL, and his acting was wooden. OTOH, the order of the songs made more sense than in the stage version, and the addition of "Suddenly" tied up a major loose end -- in the stage version, we never find out whether JVJ is just performing a duty or really loves Cosette as if she were his birth child.

Chicago was really well done. I thought Hairspray and Mamma Mia were ok, but not memorable. The Producers annoyed me because the dance number with the walkers came off flat, and because walkers weren't invented till way after the 1950's.

Leaving POTO for last, I admit it had some weaknesses, including Gerard Butler's singing. However, I think his acting put him in the top tier of Phantom performances. The film made too much of a caricature of Carlotta, and I'm not sure that putting her into a love affair with Piangi made a lot of sense. Also, there was no need for the Phantom to have grown up in the opera house -- Madame Giry could have rescued him, and he could have returned later from his travels. He could not reasonably have learned everything that he did cloistered in the fifth cellar. On the other hand, I like the softening of Mme. Giry and the fact that she and Christine had a relationship. I liked seeing more of the backstage goings on than in the Broadway/West End/early touring versions. I also think that moving the chandelier crash to the end and adding a fire improved the arc of the story, as did adding a few nods to Gaston Leroux. Finally, the red rose and ring on the gravestone were a brilliant addition. Finally, I don't think I've EVER seen a more erotic scene in a movie than the film's version of MOTN.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Mekroth
#29Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 5:09pm

"SBC"

Selena Bonham-Carter?

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#30Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 5:21pm

Sorry, SBC is Sasha Baron Cohen. HBC is Helena Bonham Carter.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#31Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 6:58pm

Mrs. Whats-her-name

Mrs. Lovett.

Sweeney Todd is essentially a fairy tale, where we all tend to ignore the level of violence.

Is that really true?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#32Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:06pm

Though not great, I would rank Annie a little higher, probably above Rent and The Producers, which I felt more offensive. I think Into The Woods belongs in the conversation of the very best, right up there with Chicago. My tops would be:

Chicago
Into the Woods
Hairspray
Dreamgirls
Les Miserables

After that, there is a huge drop-off to the rest, none of which I would choose to re-watch. I haven't see Jersey Boys, so I have no opinion on that one.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Bucky Builder Profile Photo
Bucky Builder
#33Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:17pm

My rankings:

1. Chicago
2. Hairspray
3. Dreamgirls
4. Phantom of the opera
5. Les Miserable
6. Into the woods
7. The Producers
8. Mamma Mia
9. Sweeney Todd
10. Rock of Ages
11. Rent
12. Nine
13. Jersey Boys
14. Annie

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:18pm

"
Sweeney Todd is essentially a fairy tale, where we all tend to ignore the level of violence.

Is that really true?"

Not at all. Sweeney Todd is supposed to be scary. It sounds like the intended outcome has only been achieved with the movie for this person.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

15minutecall
#35Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:21pm

AHL, I hope you don't mind my disagreeing with you about "all" our responses to Sweeney - or fairy tales, for that matter.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#36Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:22pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Baffling.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:34pm

I unapologetically LOVE the Rock of Ages film.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#38Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 10:03pm

INTO THE WOODS
DREAMGIRLS
MAMMA MIA
HAIRSPRAY
CHICAGO
PHANTOM
LES MIZ

The Worst
NINE
PRODUCERS

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#39Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 11:14pm

I had forgotten how much the critics liked Sweeney Todd. I only saw it once in the theater and haven't watched it since, but I had an intensely negative reaction to it at the time and I don't think that will have changed.

Nine, The Producers, and Phantom were all an absolute chore to sit through...Nine was particularly disappointing given the source material.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#40Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/27/14 at 11:40pm

I thought Chicago missed the mark, really didn't love that film. They took away most of the black humor

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#41Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/28/14 at 2:33am

I seem to have engendered controversy in saying, "Sweeney Todd is essentially a fairy tale, where we all tend to ignore the level of violence. This film wouldn't let us do that."

I think of fairy tales as violent in general. I also think of them as unrealistic, although not necessarily violative of the laws of nature. I view Sweeney Todd as a fairy tale because, while there are no goblins or magic, it's highly unlikely that people could get away with that amount of indiscriminate killing for any length of time. The reason I think that theatergoers and moviegoers are ignoring the level of violence in Sweeney Todd is that Sweeney generates sympathy. He's far more than an over-the-top villain with no redeeming characteristics.

Audrey

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#42Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/28/14 at 11:43am

The film made too much of a caricature of Carlotta, and I'm not sure that putting her into a love affair with Piangi made a lot of sense.

It's funny you say that, as I always felt both elements were part and parcel of the actual musical (i.e., that she is somewhat of a caricature, and that a romantic relationship with Piangi is, albeit perhaps more subtly, implied).

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#43Ranking the reception of movie musical adaptions (2002-Present)
Posted: 12/29/14 at 12:46am

UPDATE: I saw Into The Woods yesterday. I think the changes they made helped translate the film to the big screen and the performances were fantastic across the board. The prologue sequence was perfectly done! I do think, however, the real motivation for everyone to go back in to the woods was not as clear now with the Act 2 opening changed/cut.

Chicago - perfect. To me, a movie musical should elevate the material to the point where a film version as opposed to just the musical was justified. The film easily scores higher than the stage version. Perfectly cast, visualized, and sung.
Dreamgirls - I will always love this movie. Act 2 is so much more enjoyable on screen than on stage, although I would have loved to have seen Anika Noni Rose tear "Ain't No Party" apart!
Into The Woods - *thoughts above. Also: Emily Blunt is easily one of the best actors of this generation*
Les Miserables - overall well done. Russell Crowe's vocals aside, it's a solid film but very long (like the musical) and I need to be in the right mood to watch it.
Hairspray - pure fun with a fantastic cast. Again, I think it's better than on stage.
Mamma Mia - this translated much better to film than I thought. And, of course, Meryl Streep jumping on a bed to "Dancing Queen" is an image I'll not soon forget.
Nine - it's ranked this high because of Fergie. Also, I actually loved Kate Hudson's number. But OOF Nicole Kidman was so bad in this.
Sweeney Todd - orchestrations were great. The tone was right. Johnny Depp was pretty good. The cutting of the ballads and an otherwise so-so cast weighed it down. Lots of potential, though.
The Phantom of the Opera - pretty visuals, not the world's best vocals. The 25th anniversary concert is a better filmed representation.
Rock of Ages - brought it up a little because Tom Cruise was just so damn fun to watch.
The Producers - boring. I think The Producers is a fun show, but the film was so-so.
Rent - using the original cast would have been a smart move a good five or seven years before. Using the original Stephen Chbosky screenplay would have been a smart move. However, not a smart adaptation.
Annie (2014 remake) - oof. Not the worst idea for a remake, but OOF. Horribly executed. The new songs and Auto Tune were rough. Rose Byrne's acting was the only thing remotely worth noting.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Videos