Imelda Staunton - GYPSY

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#25Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/24/15 at 3:54pm

Is it airing this Christmas or next? That's wonderful news!

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#26Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/24/15 at 4:11pm

ComingUpRoses2 said: "Is it airing this Christmas or next? That's wonderful news!

This Christmas!

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#27Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:41pm

^  Has that been confirmed?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

imeldasturn
Jay Lerner-Z
#29Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/24/15 at 5:50pm

Oh, great. Thanks.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#30Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/24/15 at 10:02pm

Best news I've heard all month. A Merry Christmas indeed.

imeldasturn
#31Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 7:41pm

http://www.westendframe.com/2015/11/gossip-could-gypsy-starring-imelda.html?m=1

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:11pm

Over the years I have seen 4 productions of it - Lansbury, Daly, Peters &  Lupone. I am all Gypsied out. Like one other posted it is a tad soon for another revival. Amen. Hell if it could not succeed with Lupone and/or Peters, how will it do with her who is absolutely unknown in this country? She may be great but when do you go to the well once to often. If there are those who want to see it every other year with a new actress great. Four times is more than enough.

I know this is a show on the approved list of revivals but even so 7 years ago?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/26/15 at 09:11 PM

Jay Lerner-Z
#33Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:15pm

Dang, I'm getting you a double feature of the Bette Midler/Rosalind Russell DVDs for Christmas, Roxy.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#34Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:16pm

I agree with Mr. Roxy.  It is too soon for another revival of Gypsy. 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#35Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:20pm

Jay Lerner-Z
#36Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:21pm

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#37Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:35pm

I know it's awfully soon for a revival, but I really want to see Imelda on stage and haven't had the resources to travel to London for any of her past outings. I'm praying this'll happen. 

Updated On: 11/26/15 at 09:35 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:39pm

I think it could work if they get a very big name for Louise. There is no way Imelda could sell yet another Gypsy revival here on her own. They will certainly need a name like Katy Perry for Louise, who would actually be a stunning Gypsy, but who knows if she could act it or want to do it. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#39Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/26/15 at 9:44pm

"'We are actively pursuing and trying to work out the right way to go to New York with Imelda in Gypsy,' said Michael Harrison, who produced the show...

I'm sure they're aware of all the previous productions and possible audience fatigue - maybe they're looking at a limited run in a smaller space?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#40Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 12:48am

A limited run in a city with a subscriber base like Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, DC could be smart. Or just a minimalist concert mounting in NY for a couple of weeks. I feel like it will be a while before we get a Gypsy revival otherwise - like, Audra in 10 years or so.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#41Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 12:51am

This is my Christmas wish this year. I will forego all other presents for this to happen!

PLEASE, THEATRE GODS AND GAYS, PLEASE!!!

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

broadwayboy223
#42Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 12:54am

I sort of hope this doesn't happen. I'm trying hold out hope for Barbra's Gypsy.

LightsOut90
#43Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 1:06am

I'm hearing this may play BAM but id be maybe 6-8 weeks at most.

Wilmingtom
#44Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 2:07am

BAM is my bet as well. It seems that Staunton is not of a mind to make a long term commitment.

#45Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 5:04am

I would pay alot of money to see this. I love fine acting. Imelda is an excellent oscar nominated actress.

ay Lerner-Z said: ""'We are actively pursuing and trying to work out the right way to go to New York with Imelda in Gypsy,' said Michael Harrison, who produced the show...

I'm sure they're aware of all the previous productions and possible audience fatigue - maybe they're looking at a limited run in a smaller space?

"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 9:10am

Nothing against Imelda, but every time a good actress takes on the role of Rose, it's back on Broadway?

I guess that's the law. A "too soon" revival of Gypsy every five years. Guys & Dolls and Music Man every ten.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#47Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 9:10am

Well we have Fiddler back so we might as well have another damn Gypsy revival. ugh

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#48Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 9:21am

London doesn't complain when Hamlet or King Lear are revived almost annually.  Like the Shakespeare plays, the great Miller, Williams, O'Neill plays and classic musicals like Gypsy and Fiddler are our dramatic heritage.  If an actor or director wants to take them on and it adds to the material's rich history or is appreciated by audiences anew, what's the harm? There's enough new work to keep most of us occupied. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#49Imelda Staunton - GYPSY
Posted: 11/27/15 at 9:32am

For the trifecta

Man of La Mancha or Guys and Dolls

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/27/15 at 09:32 AM

Videos