pixeltracker

American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here- Page 2

American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 10:38am

Duncan Sheik is this week's guest on the Bret Easton Ellis podcast. I didn't listen to it yet, but the show description is: "Duncan Sheik and Bret Easton Ellis discuss American Psycho: The Musical, Broadway's resistance to change, Hamilton and Radiohead."

http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=592&pid=1656567

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#26American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:55am

My mom and I saw it together last month. I hadn't read the book or seen the movie beforehand. She had read the book and didn't like it, but wanted to give the musical a chance, mainly because she's a fan of Alice Ripley's. (For the record, so am I.) I liked it more than she did, but we both liked it more than we were expecting to. It was completely different from anything else we've seen, which I appreciated. A bit too gory for my personal taste (especially the act 1 closer), but I thought the music was great and the psychological aspects were very interesting. Immediately after seeing it, my thoughts were mainly, "...I think I liked it?" But as the week went on and I thought about it more, I realized that yes, I did like it. I was hoping to catch it a second time and pick up on some things I may have missed, but sadly I didn't get the chance.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

mamaleh
#27American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:20pm

This one has earned a place on my Guilty Pleasures list.  The second act had problems, but overall I was entertained by its wild premise, dark comedy and edgy vibe.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:38pm

A total trip and this is coming from someone who saw Rockabye Hamlet

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/13/16 at 12:38 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#29American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 1:47pm

I also really liked it.

It was odd seeing Alice play what is essentially an ensemble part though.

Walker was unbelievable, the best male performance in a musical this year, imo.

....but the world goes 'round

Nettik
#30American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 2:02pm

Fantastic production that I LOVED, poor marketing, and not the right social climate in America right now to embrace it. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 2:53pm

Think the marketing here done by the same geniuses who did the marketing for Honeymoon In Vegas

Poster Emeritus

laurabenantilover
#32American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 8:09pm

I hated it

ArtMan
#33American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 8:18pm

Loved it.  I really hope there is a Broadway cast recording.

@z5
#34American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:27pm

Enjoyed it a lot, was hoping to go back again, but it closed 2 days before I got back home.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#35American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:34pm

Genuinely believe it was the best show this season. The absolute best.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

fbueller
#36American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:20pm

It was odd seeing Alice play what is essentially an ensemble part though.

I wondered about this, too.  Was Alice's part scaled back as the show went through previews?

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#37American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:22pm

haterobics said: "http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=592&pid=1656567"

Thanks a lot for this! Will listen as soon as I'm near speakers. Hope there's an update on cast recording soon before it loses too much more momentum.

jcitybone
#38American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 3:00pm

Went with a group of ten people (family/friends).  Everybody at least liked it; some loved it.  It was unanimous that everyone loved Benjamin Walker though.  Sad to see it go so soon, but glad we got to see it.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#39American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 5:22pm

A friend mentioned that if <i/>American Psycho</i> had been nominated it wouldn't have been able to perform on the Tony's in light of tragedy. I think they could have at least performed "You Are What you Wear." On the OLCR Patrick interrupts the song with some dialogue which they could have kept to get Walker on stage. Agree? Disagree?

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#40American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:03pm

They could have performed A Girl Before, You Are What You Wear, Nice Thought, or even Selling Out, although they already performed that on television. Of course none of those, save the last, feature Walker, but there were some performances last night that didn't feature an acting nominee, but instead featured the show instead.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Mediamaven2
#41American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:27pm

groucho797 said: "It just seemed logical to post a thread specifically for folks who enjoyed the show and were sorry it closed. Hopefully those who hated the show will exhibit a similar logic by creating their own thread for that purpose. Haters gotta hate, but lovers gotta love, so I'm hoping we can have our little party without anyone coming in specifically to poop in the pool.

I liked it.

It was a bit of a mess in the second half I thought, but still, on the whole I liked it and thought it deserved a a much more respectable run, and reception than that which it received IMHO. Kind of surprised. America is a funny country. Can't look at itself satirically I guess...Too bad.

pickles2
#42American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:40pm

I think At The End Of An Island could have been a good choice. The humor in it might have gotten some viewers interested in seeing the show. Or, to showcase Walker plus the cast, a montage of True Faith into Killing Time.

With a couple edited or cut lines these could be totally appropriate. 

Videos