Posted: 12/22/16 at 2:30am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I'm predicting a Best Actor category as follows:

Christian Borle
Jon Jon Briones
Jake Gyllenhaal
Andy Karl
Ben Platt
"

Unless Borle is a revelation as Willy Wonka, I'd swap him with Josh Groban. I doubt Borle will be nominated for his work in Falsettos.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#26Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 6:17am

ethan231h said: "just because he may sound amazing on a cast album does not mean he even could be nominated for a tony.....What Ben Platt is doing on the stage of the Music Box is a revelation to theatre. 

"

I also meant fantastic-acting wise too

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#27Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 7:05am

ethan231h said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I may see Miss Saigon and I know Jon Jon is transferring with the production. Could he beat Ben Platt? He sounds fantastic on the cast album."

just because he may sound amazing on a cast album does not mean he even could be nominated for a tony.....What Ben Platt is doing on the stage of the Music Box is a revelation to theatre. 

"

I'm more alarmed by your assuming a performance you haven't even seen to be bad than any opinion stated in your post, to be honest.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#28Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 7:59am

Do the people who are saying that his buzz will die down because the show opened early in the season realize that all four musical theatre Tony winners last year -- as well as the winners for Best Musical, Best Revival of a Musical, and Best Revival of a Play -- all opened before January 1? What about Alex Sharp and Curious Incident? Or is it cool to just rehash some smart-sounding talking point that has no actual basis in reality?

If anything, the admiration for Platt's performance will grow throughout the season, as the show will definitely still be around come spring. I think he will win in a landslide.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

neonlightsxo
#29Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 9:25am

Just to reiterate- there's not even a conversation here. It's not a contest. There's nothing to debate. Ben Platt will win.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#30Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 9:34am

carayip said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "I'm predicting a Best Actor category as follows:

Christian Borle
Jon Jon Briones
Jake Gyllenhaal
Andy Karl
Ben Platt

And Platt will win easily. Dear Evan Hansen honestly wasn't my cup of tea entirely (though I strongly appreciate the work it's doing), but Platt's running away with this Tony. And so will Rachel Bay Jones for Featured Actress.
"

No Josh Groban?
"

There has been some discussion on if Josh Groban is going to be eligible as lead or featured. I currently have him in Lead Actor until proven otherwise.

Updated On: 12/22/16 at 09:34 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#31Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 9:39am

Play Esq. said: "Jordan Catalano said: "He's as sure a thing to win as I've ever seen. I don't think it matters what other shows open this year. He's going to win and he more than deserves it."

I wouldn't rule out Jake's performance in Sunday (little surprised you are, Jordan). It was fantastic for a run of only a handful of performances, I can only imagine what it'll be like after an extended rehearsal period.
"

Given that Sunday in the Park with George will end its limited run a week before Tony nominations are announced (unless it ends up extending), I have a hard time seeing Jake Gyllenhaal giving Ben Platt a run for his money.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#32Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:21am

Let's not forget to consider the cultural contexts, and the Trumplephant in the room. Ben Platt is giving, by all accounts, a remarkable performance, but I don't think it's out of the question that, given the rise of "Trump's America" and the diversity lauded at last year's Tonys, a "cis white male star of a cis white male story" might not be specifically what the judges want to push this year.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I'm still hearing "Oscars So White" months after the ceremony and wondering if "Tonys So White" is going to be an ongoing concern as well.

DrJekyll Profile Photo
DrJekyll
#33Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:26am

David Hyde Pierce in Dolly? Or is that a featured part? 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:27am

His movie star status puts him over the top - I think if Jake's half as good as Jordan says he is, then he's a lock for a nom. As for people thinking Jon Jon can be shut out - think again. He's a phenomenal performer. Just the Miss Saigon dvd from the London production made me give him 3 standing ovations and I am not even a fan of the character. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:28am

I think people could be underestimating David Hyde Pierce's chance of getting nominated for Dolly, even if he won't win. But Platt is definitely the favorite presently, as star-making lead turns are often rewarded... and it doesn't hurt that his father is Marc Platt.

"Tonys so white" is sort of baked into it this year; for all the self-congratulating that occurred last season for its diversity, most people realized the diversity represented by new musicals was largely an anomalous occurrence.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#36Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:34am

darquegk - But that's just silly. If Ben Platt deserves the award, he deserves the award, end of story. He shouldn't be punished for a lack of diversity. What always bothers me about "Oscars So White" is that we focus on the lack of diversity in the nominations. Let's step back and look at the lack of diversity in ROLES. There is simply not enough POC getting good enough roles in film and theatre. THIS is what needs to be changed. By the time nominations roll around, it's simply too late. 

But hey, it's definitely improved for the films this year!

Updated On: 12/22/16 at 10:34 AM

neonlightsxo
#37Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:50am

Ben's not going to not win just because he's white. Come on.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#38Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:54am

This is veering into the territory of color counting, but amongst musicals Miss Saigon, A Bronx Tale, In Transit, Holiday Inn, Amelie, and The Great Comet are the shows which have a diverse(ish) cast. Hello Dolly was a missed opportunity, as has been much discussed. So was Groundhog Day, Anastasia, Sunset Boulevard, Paramour, Charlie &.. and Cats to a certain degree. I think that's more or less where we were pre-2015-2016 season. I think casting choices are all excellent - most of these performers are perfect for the roles they were cast, but I agree with Leslie who said during the THR Actor's Roundtable that "color-blind casting is great, but we need to actually write more shows about people of color" for the conversation to finally die out.

Anwayyy... Ben Platt. Yeah. He is a lock for nom. Need to see Borle, Jon Jon, and Karl.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#39Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 11:18am

I left out Josh Groban and David Hyde Pierce from my Lead prediction list as I assumed their roles will be considered for Featured Actor... please let me know if this won't be the case!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 11:18am

to say that this category is going to be decided solely on the basis of diversity is to say JJB is going to get the Tony. Both are preposterous notions. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#41Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 11:27am

Platt is extraordinary. Sadly, he's white so he doesn't fit the criteria for being recognized in the 2016-2017 season. 

That's basically where this conversation is headed. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 11:31am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I left out Josh Groban and David Hyde Pierce from my Lead prediction list as I assumed their roles will be considered for Featured Actor... please let me know if this won't be the case!"

They are both above the title in their respective productions so, unless the producers lobby otherwise, by default they are eligible for leading. I think it's highly unlikely the producers will want them considered in featured, as their productions have featured actor contenders in Lucas Steele and Gavin Creel.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/22/16 at 11:31 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#43Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 12:39pm

The only time that the role of Horace Vandergelder in Hello, Dolly! has ever been Tony nominated was Eddie Bracken for Lead Actor in a Musical back in 1978.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#44Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 12:47pm

Kad, the default only extends to the question of whether action is necessary. There is no presumption that the admin committee will not assign a role as it deems appropriate regardless of what the producer wants or petitions for,

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#45Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/22/16 at 12:55pm

I agree that the award is his- even if we are more than 6 months out. 

Having seen the show two days ago, I also realized that the role of Evan Hansen has to be up there in terms of stage time. I only noticed a few times that he went offstage, and even then, it wasn't long at all. It has to be up there with Aimee Semple McPherson in "Scandalous", PT Barnum in "Barnum", and Monty Navarro in "A Gentlemen's Guide". 

jo
#46Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/26/16 at 8:40pm

Someone who was a shoo-in for a TONY  as soon as he opened his own musical sometime back has just seen DEAR EVAN HANSEN and has fulsome praise for the musical and the stellar performances!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOfx81yDEA1/?taken-by=thehughjackman

Updated On: 12/26/16 at 08:40 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#47Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/26/16 at 8:52pm

Andy Karl carries GROUNDHOG DAY totally on his back. He is onstage pretty much the whole show (yes, I saw it). And he is a revelation as a Leading Man who can sing, dance, and do comedy and drama.

Platt is sensational but I still think it's early and DEH might not even be running at TONY time.

And comparing Platt's performance to the phenomenon of HAMILTON is just absurd.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#48Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/26/16 at 9:05pm

CurtainPullDowner said

"Platt is sensational but I still think it's early and DEH might not even be running at TONY time."

Well, every once in a while someone says something here that just makes your jaw drop but this one might take the cake, unless you meant Tony time 2018 or 2019. What universe are you living in?  DEH is a mega hit, selling out high average ticket prices.  It's gonna be around for quite a while.

And I'll give odds to anyone who wants to bet against Platt winning the Tony. As one critic wrote, seeing Platt in this show is like having seen Merman in Gypsy.

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.
Updated On: 12/26/16 at 09:05 PM

jo
#49Ben Platt for Best Actor?
Posted: 12/26/16 at 9:05pm

"Platt is sensational but I still think it's early and DEH might not even be running at TONY time."

"Pasek and Paul Retweeted

Today's going to be a great day & here's why: A new block of tickets is now on sale for performances through 11/19! http://bit.ly/2hjXmXz "

Updated On: 12/26/16 at 09:05 PM

Videos