pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/27/17 at 9:35pm

CFA has already been on TKTS and TDF. 

It's in previews. Everyone needs to chill out. I got tickets to your beloved School of Rock on TKTS when it was in previews. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/27/17 at 9:55pm

If the show is not "about 9/11" then what are we to make of the choice of setting the play then to tell a story about a "very dark and scary time" that "brought out the best in people. That makes it seem like it is exploiting the tragedy for attention, and that is something that definitely doesn't sit well with New Yorkers. There have been a number of harrowing incidents over the years that have brought out the best in Newfies. Why not make a play about those? Or about the Carpathia rescuing the Titanic (oh wait... Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17)

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/27/17 at 10:43pm

PThespian said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: "CFA has already been on TKTS and TDF. 

It's in previews. Everyone needs to chill out. I got tickets to your beloved School of Rock on TKTS when it was in previews. 

"

Perhaps, but the Winter Garden is a much larger theater than the Schoenfeld. 

It is conceivable we were selling substantially more tickets than CFA is even being on TKTS and TDF. 

If they can't fill the Schoenfeld without the help of TKTS or TDF it's more serious than if SOR wasn't able to. 

Plus SOR had name recognition, a built in audience, and a fun topic. CFA has none of those. 

It is more critical that they fill the houses since good word of mouth is going to be crucial for them. 

"

I saw Fun Home in previews via TDF. Twice. It's really not a big deal. 

The Schoenfeld isn't necessarily a small house. Maybe not as big as the Winter Garden, but with over 1,000 seats I'm sure they had some to spare considering it was their FIRST week. Seems it did they trick, with their over 100% capacity... doesn't matter how they did it, it matters that they did. 

Everyone I know who has seen this show, including myself, has walked away incredibly uplifted and inspired. While it doesn't necessarily have a "fun topic" at first glance, it isn't necessarily a harrowing and dark show. It doesn't take much research to realize that. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/27/17 at 11:17pm

SOR is on TDF quite often and has been for awhile, so I'm missing whatever point is trying to be made.

UncleCharlie
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 2:15am

PThespian said: "Everyone I know who has seen this show, including myself, has walked away incredibly uplifted and inspired. While it doesn't necessarily have a "fun topic" at first glance, it isn't necessarily a harrowing and dark show. It doesn't take much research to realize that. 

"

You're right. It probably is an uplifting show (from what I know about it), and it probably doesn't take much research to find that out.

However, you have to be interested enough in the show to probe a little deeper as to its tone.

The point I'm trying to make is that 9/11 is a buzzword that will instantly turn a lot of people off.

Tourists waiting in line at TKTS are going to be handed a little flyer for the show which, in all probability, will mention 9/11 on it.

They're not going to start researching or asking about the tone of the show if they do not want to see anything involving 9/11.

Don't get me wrong. I am very excited to see the show. I wish it a long and prosperous run.

I'm just not entirely convinced that's in the cards....but hell. Look at A Bronx Tale. You never know.

Your theory then in no way explains why the 9/11 Museum downtown is packed Every. Single. Day. And yeah, with lots and lots of tourists. Oh, and they're not seeing a feel good story. It's twisted steel and misery. People will come to understand what it's about and decide if it holds enough interest to justify Broadway ticket prices. The mere fact that it's a part of the 9/11 story is in and of itself, not going to turn them off.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 2:20am

I think most of us can appreciate the difference between what motivates one to go to a museum memorializing a great tragedy and a damn play...

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 2:47am

HogansHero said: "I think most of us can appreciate the difference between what motivates one to go to a museum memorializing a great tragedy and a damn play...

Jesus Mary Mother of God...........

"

UncleCharlie
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 3:24am

HogansHero said: "I think most of us can appreciate the difference between what motivates one to go to a museum memorializing a great tragedy and a damn play...

So they're happy to see blood and gore as long as it's in a museum and they feel they're being educated and "paying their respects".. 9/11 wouldn't turn them off in the least there. But for a play, or more specifically a damn play, they now don't want to be reminded of it. They only want light frothy comedies that will titillate the senses. Maybe a little singin' and dancin' thrown in.

People go to see plays about drug abuse, sexual perversity, incest, terminal disease, the worst kind of psychological disorders etc. but 9/11 is just going to be a little too much for them to handle. Ahh, OK, got it. Thanks!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 5:54am

I would absolutely go see "Come Fly Away" if I could.  I'm sure the producers realized it would be a tough sell in some circles.  I remember hearing about it in the news.  Many of us are not aware how a small Canadian town managed to help so many stranded travelers.  Yes, 9-11 was a horrific tragedy, but so many people banded together and helped each other.  I've always been aware that Canadians were a very friendly people.  It is that aspect that I wish I could see in its theatrical form.  I hope that more and more people become aware that CFA is a worthy enterprise.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 8:35am

I've not seen CFA in any form, so I can't speak from personal experience. From what I've read here and elsewhere, however, it is not "about 9/11"; rather, it's about the human potential for kindness and compassion. While the tragedy of 9/11 may have been the impetus for the characters' response, the show focuses on that response rather than the actual terrorist attacks.

I agree that this could, on the surface, be a hard sell to those who want to "leave the theatre with a smile on their faces", but everything I've read so far indicates that this is precisely what happens - those who see it leave feeling uplifted. So, it seems that the folks behind CFA just need to position the show carefully. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to mention 9/11 at all in the marketing/advertising; the copy should be something less specific and more philosophical - something with a more "lemons into lemonade" slant. I don't mean that to diminish the tragedy in an way; I just think it's important that acts of terrorism not be allowed to achieve their goal and this show's message seems to be "you won't make the rest of us hate like you do".

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

AEA AGMA SM
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 8:53am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I would absolutely go see "Come Fly Away" if I could."

Well then I hope you have a time machine, since that show closed in 2010 after flopping hard Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:04am

Yeah that's extremely close, I've misspoke about that also.

Stephanatic

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:21am

I suppose it's hardly news, but those weekly numbers for Hamilton are just staggering. Lion King and Wicked can't even come close.  Crazy.

neonlightsxo
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:33am

Having seen Come From Away, it is in fact about 9/11, though they do their best to make it a cheerful affair.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:50am

thirtythirtyninety said: "I suppose it's hardly news, but those weekly numbers for Hamilton are just staggering. Lion King and Wicked can't even come close.  Crazy."

Unless you can sell a good chunk of your house for $849/seat, it will be difficult...

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 10:41am

@Charlie, you have several things jumbled together. First, there is the question of locals vs tourists. Second, you confound dark "unfunny" shows with shows that have a personally unpleasant resonance. Third, you ignore the overwhelming general track record of dark shows, not to mention the aggregate.

Ground Zero is, for many locals (and many others as well) a graveyard. We go for the same reason we go to a cemetery. We don't go to see a play about Aunt Bertha dying in a hospital bed (unless I guess she is in the form of Dick Latessa maybe, and note that even that show flopped miserably). And people very often will not go to see a show that cuts too close to their own sensitivities: if Aunt Bertha died of cancer, they don't want to see a show about cancer. (Yes, Wit was a great play, but not one that ever had the sort of sustained run that would be necessary for a hit musical.)

Yes, CFA may find an audience and be the exception to the rule. But it is not valid to analyze it from a state of denial, whether through sarcasm or otherwise. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:10am

I think the main purpose of previews is to get 100% capacity even if most are discounted tickets just to get the word out. I personally don't think there should be any premium tix for previews but that's just me.

as for come from away, I haven't seen it and will probably see it at some point but not sure when yet. I was in downtown during 9/11 and still remember the day. I have yet to go to the 9/11 museum and have no plans of doing so.

if come from away is the only new show this season, I'd buy a ticket now but with all these new shows coming out soon in the next 2 months, as a New Yorker I'd much rather spend my theater budget to those shows (i.e. Hello dolly, miss saigon, Anastasia, Amelie, Sweeney Todd, sunday, etc)

I wish CFA the best though and hope it succeeds.

VintageSnarker
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/26/17
Posted: 2/28/17 at 1:22pm

I don't see A Bronx Tale and Come From Away as being similar. I mean, sure, in a perfect world every show finds the right audience that wants to pay full price to see it and that's happy to have done so. But from what I've seen of A Bronx Tale, while it might not be the most sophisticated storytelling, it's full of dancing, and energetic and enthusiastic. And while it deals with some tough issues, like Waitress, it seems to be able to avoid getting pulled down by them, most significantly in the marketing of those shows to potential audience members, which is the concern with Come From Away. 

Personally, the association with 9/11 isn't keeping me away but I just have much stronger positive associations with the other shows coming in.