Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest

ijest22
#25Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 7:50pm

Words fail

asmith0307
#26Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:05pm

Oh dear goodness. You know who I once saw as an understudy? Andy Karl in the national tour of Disney's On the Record in the early-to-mid 2000s (had to entertain an elementary schooler).

Like they said, you never know who is going to be on or off. Just enjoy that you are seeing a show. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#27Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:07pm

Skylark3 said: "Of course, I know all this. But hauling it in from the Midwest isn't coming in from Jersey. In addition, the hype around this particular performance and his appearances on TV? Of course you get excited.

But watch. He'll skip the weekend performances, but be there for the Tonys  and the Tuesday first-performance-after-the-Tony's And a pall of worry now fits atop the entire trip. Will he be there on Sunday? Time will tell.

im just...undone. 
"

Skylark3 - you are insufferable.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#28Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:51pm

Skylark3...Still see the show, it is amazing. From what I hear Colton is so great in the role too! Different from Ben but still so right for it. And hey, maybe you'll be able to say I saw the show the day it won the tony!

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#29Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:00pm

Skylark, c'mon, it's "snot" the end of the world. (get it? I said "snot"Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now  Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now

Go! It will be just as moving. You won't forget it. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

BroadwayBrat
#30Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:28pm

I have a ticket for tomorrow night, so I am holding out hope that he will be back.   If not, I will be disappointed, but it happens.   I'm sure I will love the show anyway.

Updated On: 6/9/17 at 09:28 PM

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#31Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:32pm

asmith0307 said: "Oh dear goodness. You know who I once saw as an understudy? Andy Karl in the national tour of Disney's On the Record in the early-to-mid 2000s (had to entertain an elementary schooler).

Like they said, you never know who is going to be on or off. Just enjoy that you are seeing a show. 

"

Ha! I saw Sutton Foster as an understudy for Sandy in Grease in a touring production in the mid 1990s.

Skylark3
#32Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 1:16am

Margo319 said: "Yeah, this person is Minority Reporting themselves.  Chill, dude/chick.  

"

Awesome and super helpful. I hope he is out when you go next week! Because You're "sure he'll be back by then" (based on nothing).

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 01:16 AM

Skylark3
#33Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 1:22am

Insufferable? Actually, I'm just colossally disappointed.no more,no less.

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 01:22 AM

Skylark3
#34Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 1:26am

Margo319 said: "HAHA.  I love how you single me out while others call you "insufferable", which you are.  He won't be out next Friday, sweetheart.  He'll have plenty of REST this weekend!  Kiss Kiss.  

heartlaugh

"I hope you're right, kitten,  ?? Also, it appears I'm not the only insufferable one.

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 01:26 AM

10086Sundays
#35Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 1:54am

Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#36Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:16am

Skylark3 said: "Insufferable? Actually, I'm just colossally disappointed.no more,no less.

I think we all can agree that you will deserve to be really disappointed if Ben is not on on Sunday, especially since you are flying in from out of town.  That has happened to me several times, so I understand how you feel to some extent.

But just keep in mind that many, probably the majority, of people reading your comments also live outside of New York and cannot comprehend the possibility of having the money to fly into NYC for the weekend and pay big bucks to see a broadway show as expensive as DEH.  I am sure the way you specifically described your situation received very little sympathy from many readers.  I think you should take a step back and tell yourself you are really fortunate to be financially and physically healthy enough to make the trip regardless if Ben is on.

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 03:16 AM

10086Sundays
#37Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:39am

Ok, serious answer:

i understand where you're coming from. My parents are the same age as your mom, so I know the feeling of wanting every second with them to be perfect, to make it count, especially an experience like this. 

However, your mom has lived through bigger disappointments I'm sure and she will survive this one. Don't get so caught up in this one thing that you ruin the entire trip.

Focus on the time you two have together, because when all you have left are memories, do you really want to look back on this trip and only remember how disappointed you were about Ben being out or do you want hold on to how much you and your mom enjoyed your time with each other.  

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 03:39 AM

bear88
#38Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:46am

Skylark3, if it makes you feel any better, I was in your position a couple of months ago. We get regular-price tickets for Dear Evan Hansen, which seemed quite lucky just a few days in advance, and then Ben Platt was out sick the Sunday before we're supposed to see him on a Wednesday. Rumors fly about him taking the week off because he's ill and it's Passover. I comfort myself with the positive things I read about his understudy's performance. It ended up working out. Platt was in Wednesday's show.

The year before, I pay more money than I ever have to see entertainment (OBC of Hamilton) and things are looking good. I'm seeing the show on a Tuesday. Everyone seemed to be around except for Oak. Lin-Manuel Miranda is just back from a vacation. But then he gets sick at the Monday show, has laryngitis, needs to rest his throat, and he's out for our show. Now, Hamilton is a somewhat different musical, in that there were a bunch of people I was really hoping to see, but Miranda in his own show after I'd learned the cast recording by heart, that was going to be special. You know what? I actually met him, standing around outside the theatre, said a brief hello, went inside and immediately forgot he wasn't in the show once Javier Munoz took the stage. 

You might not see Ben Platt on Sunday afternoon. But if you don't, you will probably see the rest of the cast, including a likely winner in Rachel Bay Jones, and a co-favorite for Best Musical on the day of the Tonys. It's going to be a pretty revved-up audience regardless. And worst case, you seem to be in a position to pay extra money to see it later if you want to see him. 

You are obviously an experienced theatregoer. I don't blame you one bit for being disappointed, but don't let it ruin the weekend. And Platt, being the trooper that he usually is, might just be in Sunday's show after all.

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 03:46 AM

Margo319
#39Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:52am

"But just keep in mind that many, probably the majority, of people reading your comments also live outside of New York and cannot comprehend the possibility of having the money to fly into NYC for the weekend and pay big bucks to see a broadway show as expensive as DEH.  I am sure the way you specifically described your situation received very little sympathy from many readers.  I think you should take a step back and tell yourself you are really fortunate to be financially and physically healthy enough to make the trip regardless if Ben is on."

BRAVO GOOD SIR!!!!

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 03:52 AM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#40Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 3:54am

bear88 said: "Skylark3, if it makes you feel any better, I was in your position a couple of months ago. We get regular-price tickets for Dear Evan Hansen, which seemed quite lucky just a few days in advance, and then Ben Platt was out sick the Sunday before we're supposed to see him on a Wednesday. Rumors fly about him taking the week off because he's ill and it's Passover. I comfort myself with the positive things I read about his understudy's performance. It ended up working out. Platt was in Wednesday's show.

The year before, I pay more money than I ever have to see entertainment (OBC of Hamilton) and things are looking good. I'm seeing the show on a Tuesday. Everyone seemed to be around except for Oak. Lin-Manuel Miranda is just back from a vacation. But then he gets sick at the Monday show, has laryngitis, needs to rest his throat, and he's out for our show. Now, Hamilton is a somewhat different musical, in that there were a bunch of people I was realy hoping to see, but Miranda in his own show after I'd learned the cast recording by heart, that was going to be special. You know what? I actually met him, standing around outside the theatre, said a brief hello, went inside and immediately forgot he wasn't in the show once Javier Munoz took the stage. 

You might not see Ben Platt on Sunday afternoon. But if you don't, you will probably see the rest of the cast, including a likely winner in Rachel Bay Jones, and a co-favorite for Best Musical on the day of the Tonys. It's going to be a pretty revved-up audience regardless. And worst case, you seem to be in a position to pay extra money to see it later if you want to see him. 

You are obviously an experienced theatregoer. I don't blame you one bit for being disappointed, but don't let it ruin the weekend. And Platt, being the trooper that he usually is, might just be in Sunday's show after all.

"

Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now

Skylark3
#41Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 6:02am

Margo, the name-calling gives you away. And your decision to continue to engage someone you think of as ridiculous only serves to support that. I forgive you.

Namaste.

I appreciate the positive feedback, everyone.  It's helped put this in a better perspective.  As did a nights rest. 

Updated On: 6/10/17 at 06:02 AM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#42Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 8:16am

I live outside of New York and fly in to see shows. When I book my shows, I always have in the back of my mind that actors could be out. I do strategize for the best days and time to avoid it.  Nonetheless it happens.  There have been a few times that I preferred the understudy over the lead.  Nonetheless, DEH is a great show that shouldn't be missed with or without Platt. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

ijest22
#43Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 8:43am

Dave13 said: "I live outside of New York and fly in to see shows. When I book my shows, I always have in the back of my mind that actors could be out. I do strategize for the best days and time to avoid it.  Nonetheless it happens.  There have been a few times that I preferred the understudy over the lead.  Nonetheless, DEH is a great show that shouldn't be missed with or without Platt. 

"

Agreed, with one really big caveat--that video of the understudy singing Waving does not look promising. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. 

ijest22
#44Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 8:47am

It occurs to me that I have the perfect solution. Ben feels fine, he just can't talk. I vote that he shows up and pantomimes his performance while they play the ocr in the background. I'd be happy with that. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#45Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 10:27am

Broadway Understudies twitter account just posted that Colton Ryan will be doing both shows today. We knew BP would be out; Colton will be great! 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#46Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 10:41am

While I completely understand the disappointment felt by those who looked forward to seeing Platt, the person that I can really empathize with is Colton Ryan. He is going on for someone whose performance has been repeatedly described as the best or one of the best male performances on Broadway over the past 10-20 years, and Colton will undoubtedly be compared to that performance which will be impossible to duplicate, no matter how competent he is in the role. 

It sort of reminds me of Bobby Murcer being called up by the Yankees to replace Micky Mantle as their center fielder. Was Murcer ever the player that the legendary Mantle was? Of course not, but he did go on to have an excellent career with the Yankees. But I would never have wanted to be in Murcer's position as Mantle's replacement.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#47Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 10:41am

While I completely understand the disappointment felt by those who looked forward to seeing Platt, the person that I can really empathize with is Colton Ryan. He is going on for someone whose performance has been repeatedly described as the best or one of the best male performances on Broadway over the past 10-20 years, and Colton will undoubtedly be compared to that performance which will be impossible to duplicate, no matter how competent he is in the role. 

It sort of reminds me of Bobby Murcer being called up by the Yankees to replace Micky Mantle as their center fielder. Was Murcer ever the player that the legendary Mantle was? Of course not, but he did go on to have an excellent career with the Yankees. But I would never have wanted to be in Murcer's position as Mantle's replacement.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#49Ben Platt Put On Vocal Rest for now
Posted: 6/10/17 at 11:23am

I've seen the video of Colton singing Waving and yes, it wasn't great. But there's a certain audio of him floating around and he truly sounds fantastic. Different than Ben, but in a good way. Ben or Colton, you'll be able to see and appreciate this wonderful show.

Videos