pixeltracker

Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen- Page 2

Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:38am

Margo319 said: "My tone should not be factored in regarding a law, but I do understand where you are coming from.  It's so funny how people would be so offended by my tone that they would defend obviously obnoxious, illegal behavior, yet complain about those very same people in the "Bad Behavior" thread.

RaisedOnMusicals said: "Margo is 100% right about this.  There's no intelligent or mature argument to be made on the other side, so stop trying. You sound like spoiled brats.

Thank you, I know the law, and I appreciate your support.  For people who are not aware of the law and are trying to support illegal and unlawful behavior here is the law.  Wow, it's 14 years old now so it's been in the books for quite some time.  Spoiled brats, indeed.

http://www.playbill.com/article/cell-phones-banned-in-new-york-city-theatres-com-111547

"

Your tone isn't just in this thread, it's in every thread. For whatever reason you always lecture people about morals and how much better you are and that gets tedious. Your Alana Beck/Tracy Flick goody two shoes act really wears thin.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:38am

UncleCharlie said: "Call_me_jorge said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "Margo is 100% right about this.  There's no intelligent or mature argument to be made on the other side, so stop trying. You sound like spoiled brats. 

"

Wrong. You are the spoiled one

Jorge. You seem like a very learned person. Perhaps you can share a compelling argument with us about how taking someone's creative output performed to a paying audience and circulating it without their permission to wider audience who haven't paid is not wrong. if it's not wrong, why would copyrights exist? Why wouldn't there have been by now, someone told they couldn't tape a show and circulate it to others who sued the theater for restricting their rights and won? If there is such a case, perhaps you can share the legal citation. And here's a pro tip. Ask any cop or judge whether they view the 'well, everyone's doing it" defense as compelling. I don't agree with Margo's tone but she is right. And so is RaisedOnMusicals.

"

If it's so wrong why are the producers of so many shows like Wicked and Book of Mormon just letting bootlegged copies run wild on YouTube and the internet? They have the money to do it, but in reality they don't care. 

Recording an audio of Michael Lee Brown would not make even the slightest dent in the DEH advance. So how is it harming the show in ANY way financially. It may be illegal, but I think it's a smart financial move. Producers for the shows like I mentioned before probably let those bootlegs go wild, because they see them as free advertising.

I think for someone who lives in New York and can pretty much see Broadway shows regularly and says bootlegs are wrong, is the definition of spoiled. I have the chance to see tours every now and then, but even that's still an expensive thing to for most other people. So those who watch bootlegs are only doing it to show their love for the arts. Which is the only way possible for them.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Margo319
#27Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:40am

"It may be illegal, but I think it's a smart financial move."

Holy.F*cking.God.

Thanks, Bernie Madoff!!!!

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#28Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:40am

There are much bigger things for law enforcers to worry about than someone recording a show. 

UncleCharlie
#29Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:41am

Margo319 said: "My tone should not be factored in regarding a law, but I do understand where you are coming from.  

There are a lot of should nots that are valid in theory but don't work in the real world. If your tone puts people on the defensive, they will simply tune out everything you have to say, period. Maybe they "shouldn't" but they will. It's just how almost all human beings are wired. A whole industry exists to coach managers on how to give feedback to their employees so the employees will think about what they need to improve rather than focusing solely on how much they hate their manager for criticizing them.

Margo319
#30Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:43am

"Your Alana Beck/Tracy Flick goody two shoes act really wears thin"

Then it's weird you still read what I say.  Block user button is very user friendly.  Feel free to use it, because I'll be sure to use it on you. wink

DearEvanHansen
#31Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:47am

In addition to my previous message, as froote brought up, Dave Malloy openly encouraged people to search for bootlegs of HIS show. Not only is he an actor in this case but also the creative team. Well... as I mentioned above, I don't encourage this kind of behavior and will never put up my phone in a theater, but no matter what you say, you have to admit this is the norm in the industry. The cast of DEH itself supports bootlegs (see my previous comment), so to secure your standing on this matter, perhaps you can go ahead and boycott this show and its cast forever, maybe go tell the actors what you think. And don't forget about Dave Malloy and The Great Comet...

UncleCharlie
#32Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 12:53am

Call_me_jorge said: "If it's so wrong why are the producers of so many shows like Wicked and Book of Mormon just letting bootlegged copies run wild on YouTube and the internet? They have the money to do it, but in reality they don't care. 

Recording an audio of Michael Lee Brown would not make even the slightest dent in the DEH advance. So how is it harming the show in ANY way financially. It may be illegal, but I think it's a smart financial move. Producers for the shows like I mentioned before probably let those bootlegs go wild, because they see them as free advertising.

I think for someone who lives in New York and can pretty much see Broadway shows regularly and says bootlegs are wrong, is the definition of spoiled. I have the chance to see tours every now and then, but even that's still an expensive thing to for most other people. So those who watch bootlegs are only doing it to show their love for the arts. Which is the only way possible for them.

Jorge, would it be fair to say it's their decision to make regarding how their content is distributed, not yours to make for them? If the producers of a show that's been running for 7-13 years with a gazillion touring companies all over the world make the decision not to bother chasing down every bootleg at this point in the show's life, does that give a random audience member the right to do it for any other show? It's not a rhetorical question Jorge, does it? And BTW, the "I don't live in New York so there should be bootlegs so I can see every Broadway show" is really the textbook definition of spoiled. 

Updated On: 7/14/17 at 12:53 AM

Margo319
#33Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:02am

No seriously people, it's illegal and actors/creators/literally anyone involved in theater hates you.  I am not making this up.  It's REAL.

https://www.npr.org/2015/07/11/421810562/who-does-that-broadway-stars-react-to-badly-behaved-audiences

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1092365

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/theater-etiquette-donts-35-broadway-899049/item/theater-etiquette-tony-danza-899095

"As far as I'm concerned, there is no food or drink that is OK during a show. If you cannot live without food or drink or your cell phone for two to three hours, then you should stay at home and watch The Bachelorette or seek psychiatric care."  - Mr. Nathan Badass Lane

"It’s not just their phone ringing that’s a problem; it’s the glow of the f—ing phone. I see it twice a week. If they text during the show, it’s messing up people’s experience of the darkness around them, and that’s part of the theater experience. The whole thing is that we’re all present in the room at the same time, and if people do that, it’s no good."  - Mike Birbiglia

Seriously.  I didn't make it up.  For Forever. 

Sincerely,

Me

Updated On: 7/14/17 at 01:02 AM

herewegoabc
#34Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:06am

MEANWHILE, apparently Michael Lee Brown is great!

I'm so happy he got the chance to go on, and hopefully he'll get more. I don't know if Mike Faist has any planned vacations, but if/when he does, I look forward to hearing about his Connor. I've heard people who saw his Jared say he plays him much more emotional/angry than Will Roland does.

I love watching understudies and can't wait for this weekend when I get to see the show!

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 01:06 AM

10086Sundays
#35Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:09am

angel

Updated On: 7/14/17 at 01:09 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#36Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:35am

I watched this evening's performance as well and was impressed by MLB. Wow! This is the 3rd time I'm seeing the show (saw Ben twice and MLB once.) 

I agree that his performance in Act 2 was more impressive than in Act 1. MLB can definitely since and act. His "Words Fail" as phenomenal and up to par with Ben's performance in my book. I'm glad I was able to see him perform.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#37Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 1:42am

Bootleg sympathizers need to stop. They are not permissible. End of story.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#38Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:40am

I love bootlegs.  I've watched bootlegs of shows that I have worked on.  I know MANY actors who watch bootlegs, especially of shows with them in it.  If no one films a bootleg and the show is not aired on PBS, Broadwaylive, etc. then the show dies when the show closes.  Bootlegs give a show a sort of immortality.  Clearly Margo is wealthy enough to live in NYC and can afford to see any show she likes.  Some people are not as privileged as you.  There are many young people in Oklahoma or Indiana who would never get the opportunity to see a show.  Sometimes it's not always about the money.  Look, if someone records without drawing any attention, I have no problem.  Please just don't sell it.  Only assholes sell bootlegs.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#39Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:52am

Margo319, you're the Professor Umbridge of this board. I've never seen you post anything positive. It's an awful thing for a person to claim the bullying card when this board is an escape for people who genuinely experience vicious bullying in life. Perhaps think about your choice of words in future.

Find some positivity in your life and try to spread it. Your hate and negativity is clearly having an effect on multiple people on this board. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
Updated On: 7/14/17 at 02:52 AM

bdboston
#40Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 6:49am

The bootleg topic has been bantered about (pro and con) for a long time. I remain fascinated how "one-sided" it is. I always assumed it's illegal for anyone to take bootleg audios/videos... but why is it more widely accepted (or conveniently overlooked?) when actors/musicians in the actual shows take the recordings themselves? I have several friends in shows (both in NY and on tour), and have seen many videos/clips taken by them/their colleagues from the wings during the performances. These bootlegs are usually posted on the company's private Facebook page, etc. The same goes for the taking of photos. We all hear/read the warnings "No photos allowed of curtains, scenery, costumes, etc.," yet I have seen countless photos taken by actors of such things. I only know of one instance within my circle of friends where one was reprimanded for taking photos backstage of costumes, and she was asked to remove them from social media. I would think what's illegal for the paying audience is also illegal for those we're watching on stage, unless there's some exception to the rule I'm unaware of. 

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#41Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 10:43am

I know many actors who say they watch bootlegs. I even saw an actor from Hamilton post a screenshot from the Hamilton bootleg on Instagram as a "throwback". I'm not saying bootlegs are 100% right, but it's just not a law that many people follow and there's really no reason to be completely against them if even Broadway actors don't care.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#42Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 10:58am

youwillbefound2 said: "I know many actors who say they watch bootlegs. I even saw an actor from Hamilton post a screenshot from the Hamilton bootleg on Instagram as a "throwback". I'm not saying bootlegs are 100% right, but it's just not a law that many people follow and there's really no reason to be completely against them if even Broadway actors don't care.

This and similar points completely miss the point. It doesn't matter one bit what "actors" do or how they feel about bootlegs. They have no ownership interest in the production. And once they've been illegally copied and posted of course they'll watch them, who wouldn't, that's human nature. It's a violation of copyright law to record any portion of the show, with either audio or video or both--period. And in spite of the fact that I agree with Margo's position about bootlegs, it's not really the "cellphone law" she cites that's applicable, that just concerns cellphones in NY theaters in general, and it's a NY ordinance, This has to do with illegally recording shows in ANY theater ANYWHERE. It's an issue that relates to intellectual property.

It's interesting that All That Chat (admittedly a more stodgy board than BWW) has a rule about bootlegs in its Terms of Service:

3.1 (f) Talkin' Broadway is not bootleg friendly. Posting any message for any reason which mentions by name or implication, or in any way discusses "bootleg" audio or video tapes or reproductions is not allowed. "Bootlegs" are considered to be any illegally made recording or one distributed by someone other than the rights holder, or not otherwise commercially released to the general public.

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

trpguyy
#43Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 11:03am

bdboston said: "The bootleg topic has been bantered about (pro and con) for a long time. I remain fascinated how "one-sided" it is. I always assumed it's illegal for anyone to take bootleg audios/videos... but why is it more widely accepted (or conveniently overlooked?) when actors/musicians in the actual shows take the recordings themselves? I have several friends in shows (both in NY and on tour), and have seen many videos/clips taken by them/their colleagues from the wings during the performances. These bootlegs are usually posted on the company's private Facebook page, etc. The same goes for the taking of photos. We all hear/read the warnings "No photos allowed of curtains, scenery, costumes, etc.," yet I have seen countless photos taken by actors of such things. I only know of one instance within my circle of friends where one was reprimanded for taking photos backstage of costumes, and she was asked to remove them from social media. I would think what's illegal for the paying audience is also illegal for those we're watching on stage, unless there's some exception to the rule I'm unaware of. "

Here's the reality of the situation. Nobody has ever faced criminal charges for recording a Broadway show. If a camera or phone is visible/distracting, an usher may notice it and ask/tell the patron to stop. Repeat offenses could lead to the patron being asked to leave.

Producers used to care about keeping backstage photos under wraps, but with the rise of social media, they see it as free publicity. Company members are invited to share photos videos of backstage antics (including sometimes from the wings) as long as it doesn't paint the show in a negative light. A perfect example of this is the Cats revival. Up until this production, sharing photos of actors in costume for strictly forbidden, and don't even think about taking a photo of yourself or someone else in "half cat." Now, feel free to make a timelapse video of yourself getting into costume and makeup and put it on Instagram! 

There is a legitimate complaint that pretty much all actors have about the obvious use of cellphones during the show, because of the light and audible distractions. But generally speaking, actors are vain and actually WANT to see and hear recordings of themselves. The only folks I've encountered who have a beef with it are the name-above-the-title types.

As for creators of the show, they tend to care more about illegal distribution of sheet music and cast recordings than anything else, as that can actually create a dent in their revenue stream.

Updated On: 7/14/17 at 11:03 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#44Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 11:41am

So... Michael was good, huh?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#45Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:16pm

Has this strayed from Michael Lee Brown or is it me?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

Mallory 3
#46Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:52pm

Do we know if this is true? I am attending the show on Sunday and am trying to figure out who will be playing Evan.

lucillefrank Profile Photo
lucillefrank
#47Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 3:55pm

Mallory 3 said: "Do we know if this is true? I am attending the show on Sunday and am trying to figure out who will be playing Evan.

Michael was only on Wednesday evening and Thursday evening. Colton will be on for the rest of the week.

i've got 99 problems and a revival of parade would solve like 94 of them

herewegoabc
#48Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 5:19pm

Is that confirmed? Per Telecharge today (who claimed they called the box office) they are switching off and they couldn't confirm who would be performing which show. 

lucillefrank Profile Photo
lucillefrank
#49Michael Lee Brown Dear Evan Hansen
Posted: 7/14/17 at 5:54pm

herewegoabc said: "Is that confirmed? Per Telecharge today (who claimed they called the box office) they are switching off and they couldn't confirm who would be performing which show. 

That's what my friend in the show was told by MLB at the beginning of the week so unless it's changed...

i've got 99 problems and a revival of parade would solve like 94 of them

Videos