pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 6:59pm

poisonivy2 said: "You know looking at the numbers for Great Comet (nearly 900k) one wonders why this show HAS to shutter in two weeks. Its pulling in very respectable numbers. Is it that much to run? Was there major financial mismanagement? Obviously there is still an audience for it, with or without Josh. The hurry to shutter the show just seems very odd because on the surface you wouldn't think they were in such dire straits.

"

Apparently their advance ticket sells post-September were pretty bad. As a poster somewhere else said: it wasn't the controversy that killed this show (as evidenced by this last week's good box office). It was that they had no plan for how to keep advance sales high once Josh left. Even Mandy's limited-run would've been a possible (if Patti can't pull in crowds for War Paint, I don't know if MP could've) bandaid. I also heard (not sure if it's true) that they never recouped from any of the off-Broadway productions so that debt was added to the debt from this production. So the amount of the gross that could go toward recouping was even lower. I mean a show like OYF which would appear to have much less debt didn't  recoup after playing for 2 years! I'm glad I got to see the show in it's last off-Broadway iteration in 2013 as I didn't get to NYC to see the Broadway production (I was going to see it when I'm in NYC in November). 

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 06:59 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:08pm

@poisonivy yes and yes. The current numbers (which can reasonably be said to include a chunk of "final weeks" sales) are breakeven, and the show is out of gimmicks. as I posted, there is a cliff after these weeks.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:09pm

bear88 said: "While many schools still don't start until after Labor Day, a lot started last week. Summer is over for a significant percentage of the country. Goodbye, tourists with children of any age. 

I was struck by some of the declines, though. Waitress seems to suffering what Great Comet did after its pop star left. And everyone who wants to see Waitress without a recognizable star can just wait for the tour.

"

Waitress has already recouped, it's a smaller show and not that expensive to run, and during the 10 weeks with Sara they were raking in the dough. I think Waitress can hold on till at least the end of the year. Also, Sara Bareilles remains very involved with the show. I've no doubt that if asked she'd be willing to come back for a limited run as Jenna. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:10pm

poisonivy2 said: "You know looking at the numbers for Great Comet (nearly 900k) one wonders why this show HAS to shutter in two weeks. Its pulling in very respectable numbers."

Hard to say, since now people are going BECAUSE it is closing, so no way to know what the numbers would have been were that not the case... Similarly, you can ask why On Your Feet is closing since it made so much money the last couple weeks...

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:22pm

So DEH bucked the trend and had its second highest gross ever, but we know that Platt is leaving the show in Novemver. My question is this: How long will it run?  Will,it be a two to three year run, a four year run, or one of those rare shows that runs five years or longer? Personally, I think it's not the Ben Platt show and it will stand well on its own after he leaves, but will it turn out to be one of the really long runs? I have no idea, but I'm interested in what you think. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:27pm

Rumor is that BEAUTIFUL has at least a full year left. It's not on the higher end of weekly cost. Wouldn't be surprised to see it running through December 2018

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

jbird5
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:30pm

GreenGables said: "VintageSnarker said: "Call_me_jorge said: "GreenGables said: "I wonder if the Brooks will be OPENING UP anytime soon...

They just announced a rush policy. So unless they have a big star lined up after Betsy, it doesn't look too good. 

I don't know what Sara's schedule is like with other projects or tours but if sales were really dire I can't see her not stepping back into the show to boost the box office again. Maybe that's just wishful thinking so I can see her again. 

"

I agree with you - I think if she was free she would come back (and they would welcome her!)

"

They wouldn't dare risk offending the blondes.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:39pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "So DEH bucked the trend and had its second highest gross ever, but we know that Platt is leaving the show in Novemver. My question is this: How long will it run?  Will,it be a two to three year run, a four year run, or one of those rare shows that runs five years or longer? Personally, I think it's not the Ben Platt show and it will stand well on its own after he leaves, but will it turn out to be one of the really long runs? I have no idea, but I'm interested in what you think. 

"

Personally I think the show has enough built-in strength to transition successfully to another ensemble of excellent actor-singers. But they have to cast with care -- this is not a show where celebrity stunt casting will work. They have to find people who will really embody Evan, Heidi, Connor, Zoe, Jared, Alana, Connor's parents. It's one of those shows where one false note from anyone in the cast ruins the evening. 

Rainah
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:51pm

I think DEH will have a 2-3 year run. It's very popular, but once Ben leaves the demand drops sharply (On my last visit, tickets for nights without Ben were 1/3 of the nights with) and it's quite the dark show, with a muddy ending. It won't be the longest running of this year's shows

Audrey33
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:57pm

DEH is still the hot new thing and the reigning Tony winner but it's not a phenomenon like Hamilton and every attempt to sell it or market is has been done with Ben Platt's raves in tow. It will dip when Platt leaves and then once we get another musical that gets a similar amount of attention - I'd imagine within the next few years or so - it will close. I don't see it running over 5 years.

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 07:57 PM

comets
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 7:57pm

When are they posting the closing notice for A Doll's House Part 2? It's pretty brutal...

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:03pm

Rainah, I'd be curious which shows you think will be the year's longest runners. I can see Anastasia maybe having legs. Mayyyyyybe Dolly if they can keep finding big names to come aboard. Maybe even A Bronx Tale? Charlie if it can overcome the terrible word of mouth and sell on name recognition alone? I'm not sure--I feel like your 2-3 year estimate for DEH could be on the nose, but I'm not as sure anything else can outrun it. I'm running the counter-arguments in my head and am actually curious what you (and others) think. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:03pm

Rainah said: "I think DEH will have a 2-3 year run. It's very popular, but once Ben leaves the demand drops sharply (On my last visit, tickets for nights without Ben were 1/3 of the nights with) and it's quite the dark show, with a muddy ending. It won't be the longest running of this year's shows"

Which of last season's or this year's shows do you think will run longer than DEH? Most of the shows from DEH's season have already shuttered or will soon. Only exception I can think of is Hello Dolly and based on sales on days Bette is out, I think it'll experience a similar dip when Bette leaves as DEH will when Ben leaves. Plus it's the rare revival (Chicago) that can play several years. 

Of 2017-2018 season shows actually opening this year, I think it's too early to know if SpongeBob will have lasting power. Once On This Island and The Band Visit (so excited for this one) will likely be too intimate to pull in the required tourist crowd. And Prince of Broadway is too polarizing.  

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 08:03 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:06pm

I think CFA is the show that will lose a lot of steam once everyone's seen it. It's not a show that holds up well under repeated viewings. Basically if you've seen it once, that's all you'll ever need. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:14pm

poisonivy2 said: "I think CFA is the show that will lose a lot of steam once everyone's seen it. It's not a show that holds up well under repeated viewings. Basically if you've seen it once, that's all you'll ever need."

I totally forgot about CATCF & The Bronx Tale when discussing shows with possible staying power. They are not even on my radar. I don't see them being the longest standing. I don't know why I didn't think of CFA. It's definitely is an ensemble show so it can weather cast changes better than DEH and HD. But I agree that it may not have a built in repeat audience. 

I guess we'll see! 

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 08:14 PM

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:30pm

A Bronx Tale just cruises under the radar. A true dark horse.

10086Sundays
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:42pm

Miles2go2 - You're also forgetting Anastasia. I can see it lasting as long or longer than DEH.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:45pm

War Paint can't possibly hold on much longer. I imagine Labor Day weekend will be the end of the line. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:50pm

10086Sundays said: "Miles2go2 - You're also forgetting Anastasia. I can see it lasting as long or longer than DEH."

True. It's also not even on my radar. It's got great box office despite less than stellar reviews. 

10086Sundays
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 8:54pm

TheThreadMaster said: "A Bronx Tale just cruises under the radar. A true dark horse."

Seriously.

Maybe if they renamed GHD "Jersey Phil", or "Bronx Day," it wouldn't have to close. wink

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 08:54 PM

bear88
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:26pm

Why wouldn't Come From Away have a pretty long run? It's inexpensive,  has strong word of mouth, and doesn't depend on a star. 

Dear Evan Hansen is the hardest one to call. Ben Platt became a star in that show. Just as importantly,  I do think he elevates the material. A 2-3 year run seems like a reasonable guess, but if it's recast well, I think it might do better. The show is shrewdly crafted and does have an audience of older teenagers and their parents. It depends on whether interest falls off sharply after Platt leaves and other shows targeting the same demographic arrive.

I agree that Anastasia  has an audience too (people and their kids who remember the movie). But it will have competition in its demographic too.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:32pm

Hoping War Paint lasts til at least the end of October, but looks very unlikely.

Rainah
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:34pm

Sauja said: "Rainah, I'd be curious which shows you think will be the year's longest runners. I can see Anastasia maybe having legs. Mayyyyyybe Dolly if they can keep finding big names to come aboard. Maybe even A Bronx Tale? Charlie if it can overcome the terrible word of mouth and sell on name recognition alone? I'm not sure--I feel like your 2-3 year estimate for DEH could be on the nose, but I'm not as sure anything else can outrun it. I'm running the counter-arguments in my head and am actually curious what you (and others) think. "

Anastasia and CFA were the two I thought of when I said that. Anastasia will hold up well I think, for a lot of people I know it's not a Hot Ticket but it's a "I'd like to see it when I get the chance" and there's a decent built in fanbase. It appeals to tourists and those who want a known thing. Despite no love at the tonys they've done very wel at the box office.

CFA has been doing better than I could have possibly imagined. Despite nay-sayers, it's got fantastic word of mouth and I feel like the fact that it's more uplifting that DEH will work in its favour long term. Heavy, dark shows like Fun Home and N2N don't do well long term, the "likes serious shows" segment of the popular sees it and that's that. I don't know if I see CFA long outlasting DEH, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Anastasia I feel will have a 5 year or so run unless Frozen murders it

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:35pm

Does anyone know why Waitress took such a big drop? I adore the show, I think the story and writing is very moving and strong and the recording is my favorite cast recording (She Loves Me is tied) of last year. As far as I know, it's generally well-known and popular, and Betsy has been getting good word of mouth and praise. I assume people have heard of the tour and have thought twice about booking a trip to NYC when they could just see in their town? It's strange because its target audience is the older teen crowd+their mothers, but maybe they've been going to DEH and GC more? I don't know it just seems like an unusual dip to me.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17
Posted: 8/21/17 at 9:43pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "Does anyone know why Waitress took such a big drop? I adore the show, I think the story and writing is very moving and strong and the recording is my favorite cast recording (She Loves Me is tied) of last year. As far as I know, it's generally well-known and popular, and Betsy has been getting good word of mouth and praise. I assume people have heard of the tour and have thought twice about booking a trip to NYC when they could just see in their town? It's strange because its target audience is the older teen crowd+their mothers, but maybe they've been going to DEH and GC more? I don't know it just seems like an unusual dip to me.

"

Well this is a minority opinion but I saw it with Betsy (after seeing it twice with Sara) and think Betsy's a poor fit for the role. She has a fantastic voice and can sing the hell out of the score. But she doesn't have the down-to-earth persona that I think is important for Jenna. She's more of an ingenue type and her acting suffered if you saw Sara in the same parts of the performance. For instance Sara made a lot of throwaway lines like "I love Tuesdays" when talking about Earl's night out or "Cal's wife's not gay ... well ... hmm ..." Betsy just doesn't have that humor. Even Betsy's platinum blonde bouffant wig seems wrong for Jenna. I don't picture Jenna as someone who'd have time to upkeep hair that blonde and poofy. And Betsy's also a bit too ... pretty? Jessie and Sara were good-looking women but in that girl-next-door way. Betsy looks like a pageant queen. In fact I thought she looked like what Jon-Benet Ramsey might have looked like had she grown up.

Idk, I think Betsy is a fantastic talent but I don't really think she and Jenna are a good fit. Just my opinion. i know a lot of people love Betsy in the role.

Updated On: 8/21/17 at 09:43 PM

Videos