pixeltracker

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (West End) will win the Tony Award for Best Musical- Page 2

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (West End) will win the Tony Award for Best Musical

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#25Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 1:12pm

Just chiming in for a minute on the subject of professional "creator demo recordings." We've had mention of the Spring Awakening demo here- I personally think it's better than the official cast recording, and the indie folk/trip hop elements of the score fit more in the sparser demo than they do in the more ornate baroque-pop vocals and orchestrations of the stage show. I wish he would formally release the album instead of just a bootleg release, the way Sara Bareilles put out her "pop album" version of Waitress and Pete Townshend eventually released his solo demo version of Tommy (about forty years later).

BWAY Baby2
#26Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 1:34pm

Okay- just booked tickets to the Monday night March 5 Jamie in London- now got ou 5 shows so that should be fun. Thank you for the timely input- it really helped me decide. As for book of whizzer apology- of course you do not need to do that- perhaps I was overreacting- any reason under the sun that draws you to a play is perfectly valid in my book- anyway, hope London in March s not as cold as NY these last couple of days.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 2:46pm

This video was shared here a while ago, but bring it back in case people want a glimpse of the music from this show - 

Don't Even Know It (from Everybody's Talking About Jamie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWyYkEvYqU&list=WL&index=7

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought this is a song by Neon Trees covered by a Glee club.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#28Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 2:59pm

Question is ---- will it win the Olivier Award against Hamilton?!?!?!?!?! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#29Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 3:31pm

Just from watching that video, this would be the perfect project for Noah Galvin to originate on broadway.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#30Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 4:09pm

It has a lot of buzz- it could be a repeat of the year Return to the Forbidden Planet beat Miss Saigon or the time Honk! beat The Lion King..,.

tomwsjr
#31Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 8:35pm

This is a blatant shill, it’s not at all selling out in the west end and word of mouth is not unanimously good.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#32Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 9:33pm

Saw the show a few weeks ago when I was in London and LOVED it.

I agree that it would be a hit on Broadway - it's a mix of DEAR EVAN HANSEN, PRISCILLA and BILLY ELLIOT.  Phenomenal music, brilliant performances and so much heart.

I wish nothing but success for this show

Also to the nasty cranky tomwsir - the show was sold out when I saw it - and walked past the theatre a few times that had a sold out sign - so simmer down "understudy"

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#33Lol
Posted: 1/10/18 at 11:18pm

devonian.t said: "It has a lot of buzz- it could be a repeat of the year Return to the Forbidden Planet beat Miss Saigon or the time Honk! beat The Lion King..,."

Ooh. This brought back memories. I saw Return to the Forbidden Planet...all I remember is that I saw it and I don’t recall it being very good. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Lol
Posted: 1/11/18 at 12:55am

VernonGersch said: "Saw the show a few weeks ago when I was in London and LOVED it.

I agree that it would be a hit on Broadway - it's a mix of DEAR EVAN HANSEN, PRISCILLA and BILLY ELLIOT. Phenomenal music, brilliant performances and so much heart.

I wish nothing but success for this show

Also to the nasty cranky tomwsir - the show was sold out when I saw it - and walked past the theatre a few times that had a sold out sign - so simmer down "understudy"
"

Likewise also saw the sold out sign. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35Lol
Posted: 1/11/18 at 1:40am

As a fan of Dan's band, The Feeling, I can't wait to see this show... he was also a lovely interview when I got to talk to him before they played The Fillmore in SF.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36Lol
Posted: 1/11/18 at 2:52am

A tweet from Dan on the 31st suggests they will be recording a cast recording! Can’t wait.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#37Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 1/14/18 at 2:26am

JAMIE has been extended to October 6, 2018.  Tickets available now.  (Just bought mine.)

http://www.everybodystalkingaboutjamie.co.uk/

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#38Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 1/14/18 at 3:55am

The only recent original West End musicals I loved is Girls, despite its many flaws. Looking forward to this one.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#39Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 1/14/18 at 10:52am

This musical is freaking amazing!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 1/14/18 at 11:21am

So happy they extended!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#41Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 1/16/18 at 9:13am

PepperedShepherd said: "JAMIE has been extended to October 6, 2018. Tickets available now. (Just bought mine.)

http://www.everybodystalkingaboutjamie.co.uk/
"

Good for them! I really hope it comes over to Broadway.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

rjm516
#42Everybody's Talking About Jamie
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:35am

Honestly i went in expecting to love this show, because of all this praise, and I really wanted to love it because London hasn't had a good original musical in DECADES, save for those written by Elton John or Tim Minchin. They really needed this. But it was a mess. The score is terrible, like really actually terrible, like the kids in the show had to make songs up themselves. Every song is unoriginal and I was cringing. And the story just seems like it would have been revelatory maybe like 15 years ago. Just so disappointing. That anyone is suggesting this could beat Hamilton in any category is insane; I don't think it's even better than Made in Dagenham, which was also poorly conceived with a painful score.

Updated On: 3/5/18 at 09:35 AM

Videos