ahhrealmonsters
#25Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/7/18 at 9:49am

ACL2006 said: "kudos to Jessica!! Curious who the second Dolly u/s is?"

I believe Beth Kirkpatrick.

MusicalFan1030
#26Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/7/18 at 10:33am

Does anyone know if Betty is back on tonight? 

ActorGuyIL
#27Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/7/18 at 2:00pm

MusicalFan1030 said: "Does anyone know if Betty is back on tonight?"

We are at the theater now. She is not doing either performance today.

ActorGuyIL
#28Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 10:22am

While it was disappointing to not see Betty Buckley yesterday, Jessica Sheridan really was wonderful as Dolly. There was a couple in the third row center who got up and left about 30 seconds before the Overture started. I guess they'd just seen the slips in their programs noting the change.

Thinking about making the 4.5 hour drive to Des Moines in April as it's the closest stop to us.

MVintheheartland
#29Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 12:10pm

I was at the Chicago matinee yesterday (11/7) and Betty Buckley was out. At first my heart sank, but I have seen the Dolly production in NYC with both Bette and Bernadette, so I was hoping that the understudy would pull it off. Jessica Sheridan was AMAZING! The audience was a little cool at first, but I think they forget about the "celeb" Dolly thing and got into it, by the second act the applause was crazy. I'm so excited that Jessica did such a great job. Super funny, poignant, and with an amazing voice. 

All the other performers were wonderful too. I think that Lewis Stadlen (Horace) was the best Horace I have seen so far. Nic Rouleau also fantastic. Had a great time, smiled the whole performance. 

MV in the heartland 

ActorGuyIL
#30Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 1:18pm

I also found in interesting that Jessica had one fewer costume than other Dollies I've seen in this production - she kept the same costume from the opening into the hat shop, only changing the hat. She then removed the jacket from the costume and went back to the small straw hat initially, as other Dollies have done, for Parade. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#31Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 7:55pm

Gosh.  I hope she is feeling better already.  I wonder what impact it has had an ticket sales?  Is there anyway of reading box office stuff for tours?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 8:22pm

I’m at the show tonight, won the lottery and thought I’d go again because I loved it so much, and so far there has been nothing indicating Betty will be out. So I’m assuming she’ll be in tonight and I’m excited!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#33Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 8:39pm

Is anything quite as theater affirming as an exciting understudy performance? This is swell to read, and only adds to the luster and legacy of the production and its ability to serve -- and prominently showcase -- any of the Dollys. Brava. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#34Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 9:43pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m at the show tonight, won the lottery and thought I’d go again because I loved it so much, and so far there has been nothing indicating Betty will be out. So I’m assuming she’ll be in tonight and I’m excited!"

Well, the thread title clearly indicates she was out yesterday.

adagio
#35Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/8/18 at 11:45pm

She was in tonight.

Our lotto win put us in row S, center orchestra. Great seats for this show given the choreography.

ArtMan
#36Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 8:33am

Was the show selling well in Chicago even before Betty's illness?  I was fooling around with Ticketmaster's offers/deals and it showed they were offering "me plus three" ticket offer, which is basically a reduced price on four seats with one free ticket.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#37Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 10:52am

ArtMan said: "Was the show selling well in Chicago even before Betty's illness? I was fooling around with Ticketmaster's offers/deals and it showed they were offering "me plus three" ticket offer, which is basically a reduced price on four seats withone free ticket."

I adore Betty but I don't pretend to believe that she's moving tickets. Last two times I saw her in concert, they changed to a smaller venue after sales were soft. Whenever I mention her, I have to go back as far as "the gym teacher in Carrie" or "Abbie from Eight Is Enough" for someone to recognize her (and those are older people.) Honestly, they could have probably run the tour with Jessica. However, after Bette and Bernadette, promoters were probably hoping for a name. Betty's just not much of a name outside of theatre circles.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Helodfan
#38Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 10:56am

Betty was back last night - saw the show myself.  She looked a little tired, but sounded great!  I would have to guess the theater was no more than 60% - 70% full.  I hope the tour can sustain itself financially.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#39Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 2:13pm

I would have to guess the theater was no more than 60% - 70% full.  I hope the tour can sustain itself financially.

That's not uncommon in Chicago where the bigger tour productions book 4-5 weeks, but the first 2 are the subscription performances.  It's the same with tryouts unless they have HUGE names involved (The Producers, Spamalot, The Addams Family) or an obvious juggernaut hit show (Lion King, Wicked, Billy Elliot, Hamilton).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#40Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 5:59pm

Mister Matt said: "I would have to guess the theater was no more than 60% - 70% full. I hope the tour can sustain itself financially.

That's not uncommon in Chicago where the bigger tour productions book 4-5 weeks, but the first 2are the subscription performances. It's the same with tryouts unless they have HUGE names involved (The Producers, Spamalot, The Addams Family) or an obvious juggernaut hit show (Lion King, Wicked, Billy Elliot, Hamilton).
"

Sales don’t appear to be that great in LA either.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#41Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 6:11pm

It doesn't help that this is a TERRIBLE time to bring a show into Chicago.  The weather is traditionally awful (everybody gets sick during the annual Halloween cold snap) and the run ends before the tourists come in for the holidays.  The nearby Christkindlmarket, which brings LOADS of people daily into the Loop doesn't open until the final two days of performances.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#42Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/9/18 at 6:21pm

Mister Matt said: "It doesn't help that this is a TERRIBLE time to bring a show into Chicago. The weather is traditionally awful (everybody gets sick during the annual Halloween cold snap) and the run ends before the tourists come in for the holidays. The nearby Christkindlmarket, which brings LOADS of people daily into the Loop doesn't open until the final two days of performances."

It also doesn't help that there is no Bette or the likes of her and it is a very old show .  

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#43Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 10:15am

If an Andrea Martin was in this tour it might be a different ballgame. Still, I hope the tour does well.

BwayLB
#44Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 10:22am

I would be even more excited if Andrea Martin was playing Dolly myself. But I will try and see this new production no matter what.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#45Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 10:41am

Bette's Turban said:"...and it is a very old show . "

A friend of mine who saw the show in Celevand intimated a similar view: that the show was old, the plot thin and weak, and that only some of the songs were good, but it was a one-and-done for her. Overall, she wasn’t impressed with “Hello, Dolly!”, but said the costumes were lovely in “Put On Your Sunday Clothes”, and the dancing on Jess LeProtto’s part was amazing.

Stage Door Sally said: "If an Andrea Martin was in this tour it might be a different ballgame. Still, I hope the tour does well."

BwayLB said: "I would be even more excited if Andrea Martin was playing Dolly myself. But I will try and see this new production no matter what."

I have never heard of Andrea Martin, just like I had never heard of Betty Buckley before this tour. I imagine most non-theater enthusiasts, who may still enjoy “Hello, Dolly!”, have never heard of either one of them. Anyhoo, I really enjoyed seeing this production (twice) when it was in Cleveland. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 11:45am

Andrea Martin wouldn’t be selling any more (or less) tickets than Buckley is.

BwayLB
#47Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 12:13pm

Here’s a page about Andrea Martin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Martin

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#48Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 12:20pm

dmwnc1959 said: "Bette's Turban said:"...and it is a very old show . "

A friend of mine who saw the show in Celevand intimated a similar view: that the show was old, the plot thin and weak,and that only some of the songs were good, but it was a one-and-done for her. Overall, she wasn’t impressed with “Hello, Dolly!”, but said the costumes were lovely in “Put On Your Sunday Clothes”,and thedancing on Jess LeProtto’s part was amazing."

I was more referring to the property from a a ticket selling standpoint without a mega star attached to it.  This production of "Hello, Dolly!" is fabulous.  It is just a old title that fails to generate much excitement outside of our bubble.   Also.. Andrea Martin was brought in to the Los Angeles and San Francisco engagements of Pippin and ticket sales were dismal.  

BwayLB
#49Betty Buckley out yesterday.
Posted: 11/10/18 at 12:23pm

Well I saw Lucie Arnez when the Pippin tour came to Costa Mesa with Kyle Dean Massey, Sasha Allen and John Rubinstein.

Videos