pixeltracker

CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?- Page 2

CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?

conealpetterson
#25CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/5/19 at 1:46am

Not that their announcements are reliable lately, but they said that Dear Evan Hansen was going to return in the 2020/21 season, so I don't think that's the 7th show.  

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#26CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/5/19 at 6:03am

I've  got one word for them.  Goldstar.

Larry6417
#27CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/5/19 at 4:52pm

While I do not agree that CTG's customer service is bad, sans the nasty House Manger at the Ahmanson, I do agree that the new Ahmanson season is plain awful.

The inclusion of two one man shows that should be playing the Taper is ludicrous. I can understand LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS as it's from Berkeley Rep and has a true stage star, but THE NEW ONE is mediocre at best, and had a very dubious move to Broadway, IMHO.

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND being as immersive as the NYC staging was should also be playing the Taper.

THE LAST SHIP, another dubious programming choice. My guess is that it never would have been part of the season had STING not agreed to do it.

I appreciate Matthew Bourne, but Swan Lake again??!!

Lastly, THE BOOK OF MORMON has been in Los Angeles at the Pantages at least twice. Why do we need this at the Ahmanson? I would bet that most Ahmanson patrons have already seen the show.

The Taper and the Douglas will need stellar seasons in order for me to renew.

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#28CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/5/19 at 6:42pm

Not good, not good at all. Los Angeles loses on this deal.

Pauly3
#29CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/5/19 at 7:16pm

Larry6417 said: "ONCE ON THIS ISLAND being as immersive as the NYC staging was should also be playing the Taper."

Is ONCE ON THIS ISLAND touring, or is it a one-time deal at the Ahmanson?  If it is touring, why should it play the Taper?

"THE LAST SHIP, another dubious programming choice. My guess is that it never would have been part of the season had STING not agreed to do it."

You might be correct this would have not been a part of the season had Sting not agreed to do it, but that he has agreed to do it, what makes the choice dubious?  Ticket sales increased relatively dramatically when Sting went into the show in NYC, or am incorrect?  Or is Sting unpopular in LA?

"Lastly, THE BOOK OF MORMON has been in Los Angeles at the Pantages at least twice. Why do we need this at the Ahmanson? I would bet that most Ahmanson patrons have already seen the show."

If the season is indeed unpopular, and ticket sales are expected to be low for most of the season, then wouldn't a choice like THE BOOK OF MORMON, a show that still sells extremely well, not be quite a good option for Center Theatre Group?  Or do you expect tickets to not sell well even to this show?

RemlapLBC
#30CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/6/19 at 3:58pm

Larry6417 said: "While I do not agree that CTG's customer service is bad, sans the nasty House Manger at the Ahmanson, I do agree that the new Ahmanson season is plain awful.

Assuming the Ahmanson did not get a new House Manager, and is still the lady that is has been for years, she has never been anything but friendly and helpful anytime I've interacted with her, even just passing hellos.  Must strongly disagree with you..  While anyone can be having a bad day, you appear to be a subscriber, so on the long term, she is great.

The inclusion of two one man shows that should be playing the Taper is ludicrous. I can understand LATIN HISTORY FOR MORONS as it's from Berkeley Rep and has a true stage star, but THE NEW ONE is mediocre at best, and had a very dubious move to Broadway, IMHO.

I think everyone agrees that having two One-Man plays is bad idea for the Ahmanson.  Heck, everyone would agree that  one one-man show would be a bad idea unless it was optional.

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND being as immersive as the NYC staging was should also be playing the Taper.

Confused, as it's a national tour that will be restaged to play proscenium houses across the country.  If it didn't tour, and CTG was remounting a standalone engagement, I would agree.  Don't trash the high spot of the season without even seeing it.  I'm sure the show in NYC would have been better to see, I'm glad we get to see it at all, even if it is restaged.  This comment applies to every Broadway show that plays either Circle in the Square or the Vivian Beaumont  and then tours. They restage it.  Some work well, others less so.

THE LAST SHIP, another dubious programming choice. My guess is that it never would have been part of the season had STING not agreed to do it.

Your comment doesn't make sense.  To say you don't like something because of a combination that doesn't exist.  Yes, the show without Sting might have been a flop, but everywhere Sting performs sells well.  I'm looking forward to it, and yes, 99% of that reason is because of Sting.  Should he call out, I'll be heading to the box office to exchange to a different day.

I appreciate Matthew Bourne, but Swan Lake again??!!

Can't disagree with you here.   I love that the Ahmanson has Matthew Bourne, but wish it was not a second show in a row that is a making a return visit to the Ahmanson.  He has shows that haven't played here.

Lastly, THE BOOK OF MORMON has been in Los Angeles at the Pantages at least twice. Why do we need this at the Ahmanson? I would bet that most Ahmanson patrons have already seen the show.

Agree, a show's 3rd trip thru town in a decade should be a subscriber add on bonus.   That said, I only saw it the first time around, so I would have purchased the option.  I agree with you, but looking forward to a night of laughing.

The Taper and the Douglas will need stellar seasons in order for me to renew."

The subscriptions series are not related.  You can drop the Ahmanson and still renew at the Taper or Douglas.  They will be happy to take your money.

Updated On: 3/6/19 at 03:58 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#31CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/6/19 at 5:14pm

I'm curious how many CTG subscribers live in/near Thousand Oaks and already planned to see Book of Mormon this year: https://americantheatreguild.com/thousandoaks/bookofmormon/

Personally- I know several. Does this hurt their sales? How about the other way around? 

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Larry6417
#32CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/6/19 at 6:06pm

"Is ONCE ON THIS ISLAND touring, or is it a one-time deal at the Ahmanson?  If it is touring, why should it play the Taper"?

It should play the Taper because of the intimacy that space provides. The Ahmanson seats 2000 and is too large for this production. The mezzanine in the Ahmanson is so far from the stage, you'd think you were in the balcony. Unless you are on a very severe budget, Ahmanson balcony seats are NOT good.

"You might be correct this would have not been a part of the season had Sting not agreed to do it, but that he has agreed to do it, what makes the choice dubious?  Ticket sales increased relatively dramatically when Sting went into the show in NYC, or am incorrect?  Or is Sting unpopular in LA"?

"Dubious" because I think the show is not good. IMHO, programming a bad show because a star is in it is not doing any service to theatregoers. Of course CTG will make "bank" on the show, but if subscribers don't like the show, what is the point? On a similar note, I had a hand in booking a celebrity to replace a bigger celebrity in a Broadway musical. I was assured by the celeb and their management that he could do the job. Well, box office was great, but he sucked in the role. I am an agent and because of my love and profound respect for legitimate theatre I will never do that again, no matter what the payday is!

"If the season is indeed unpopular, and ticket sales are expected to be low for most of the season, then wouldn't a choice like THE BOOK OF MORMON, a show that still sells extremely well, not be quite a good option for Center Theatre Group?  Or do you expect tickets to not sell well even to this show"?

I expect better from CTG. It seems to me that if the Pantages got shows that CTG wanted then THE BOOK OF MORMON was just a filler. The Ahmanson brings LA pre-Broadway shows, and AEA tours, and remounts of shows that often do not tour. MORMON has been around so long that it's probably a non-Equity tour at this point, although I may be incorrect.

Michel Ritchie has been a great artistic director, don't get me wrong, but in the past few years he's been programming some, IMHO shows not worthy of CTG, ie. SOFT POWER & SPAMILTON.

I've decided not to renew my subscription to the Ahmanson.

Updated On: 3/6/19 at 06:06 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#33CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/6/19 at 6:10pm

Is there an Equity contract that would allow it to play a non equity house (such at the Civic Arts Plaza) and only do 5 night stays? 

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#34CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/6/19 at 6:24pm

Larry6417 said: "While I do not agree that CTG's customer service is bad, sans the nasty House Manger at the Ahmanson, I do agree that the new Ahmanson season is plain awful.

RemlapLBC: Assuming the Ahmanson did not get a new House Manager, and is still the lady that is has been for years, she has never been anything but friendly and helpful anytime I've interacted with her, even just passing hellos.  Must strongly disagree with you..  While anyone can be having a bad day, you appear to be a subscriber, so on the long term, she is great.

I must agree with RemlapLBC, the Ahmanson House Manager has always been kind and accommodating every time I have been through the Ahmanson as part of the company of a national tour AND as an audience member. She always makes herself present and accessible for patron issues, unlike MANY house managers in other tour markets that hide out backstage or in their office and only come to the floor when needed/called on radio. 

MorrisLACat
#35CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/8/19 at 4:57pm

OFF TOPIC:

Speaking about "return engagements" for next season at the Ahmanson (i.e., Swan Lake, The Book of Mormon" )  I wish the 7th unannounced show will be the original "The Phantom of the Opera", which performed at the Ahmanson twice.

I saw the current US National Tour recently. The production was adequate, but it looked like a college/university production at best. I recommend the Hal Prince's production to anyone. Honestly, "Phantom" isn't "Phantom" without its Grand Staircase or the travelator.

Updated On: 3/8/19 at 04:57 PM

conealpetterson
#36CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/8/19 at 6:21pm

I take back everything I said about their customer service being good.  I had season tickets to the first performance of Indecent in June and received an e-mail that just the June 4 performance was canceled.  I talked to audience services, but the only comparable tickets were a couple dates I was gone or my daughter's birthday.  I was told I could either take worse seats or keep looking on the website myself to see if seats pop up.    I wrote an e-mail to them explaining my dissatisfaction with this situation.  I received a call back after the email from audience services where they offered me the same seats I wasn't going to be available for and the person was even less helpful than the first.  I understand that performances get canceled, but I would think they would be a little more accommodating. They cancel the performance and act like I should be happy scrounging around for leftover seats.  Would it be that big of a deal to bump me over a seat or two and keep me happy? I definitely will not be renewing my season tickets.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#37CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/8/19 at 8:18pm

conealpetterson said: "I take back everything I said about their customer service being good. I had season tickets to the first performance of Indecent in June and received an e-mail that just the June 4 performance was canceled. I talked to audience services, but the only comparable tickets were a couple dates I was gone or my daughter's birthday. I was told I could either take worse seats or keep looking on the website myself to see if seats pop up. I wrote an e-mail to them explaining my dissatisfaction with this situation. I received a call back after the email from audience services where they offered me the same seats I wasn't going to be available for and the person was even less helpful than the first. I understand that performances get canceled, but I would think they would be a little more accommodating. They cancel the performance and act like I should be happy scrounging around for leftover seats. Would it be that big of a deal to bump me over a seat or two and keep me happy?I definitely will not be renewing my season tickets."

A canceled performance is oftentimes comes from the production of the show itself, not the venue. The venue can only do their best to accommodate patrons impacted by the canceled show into another performance. There's nothing they can do to be more accommodating other than offer seats for an alternative date or tell you to check back. Oftentimes, as it's closer to the performance, seats will be released by the company that you can switch into. While it may not seem like a big deal to you to have you "bumped over" a couple seats or two, it is important to remember that most likely other subscribers or ticket buyers already have those seats.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

conealpetterson
#38CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/8/19 at 9:34pm

I completely understand that this was likely a decision of the production and not CTG and I said that to them.  But on their website, one of the benefits of being a subscriber is a "same-seat guarantee for all performances."  I would have been happy to switch to similar seats, but the dates were when we were out of town or had other tickets.  I can also see what seats are available on the website and there are plenty near ours that aren't taken on the other dates.  It was their attitude that bothered me more than having a date switch.  I guess I have just experienced better customer service at other venues.  One of the people I talked to on the phone was pretty rude and the attitude was - We canceled your performance.  You should be happy with the scraps that are left.  They just don't seem very interested in keeping their subscribers.

VernonGersch
#39CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/8/19 at 9:56pm

CTG Customer Service is awful - and as a result I will no longer subscribe with them or donate.

I had the same situation in regards to INDECENT - they wanted me to pay an additional 147 a ticket to get decent seats - luckily I found some meh seats so at least I am not in the nosebleeds

It truly is a shame

I am hoping they can deliver with their Taper Season.  Between SWEAT and LINDA VISTA, I'd say they had a good season - here's to hoping to something wonderful.  More Stepenwolf?  Perhaps a transfer from something in London at the Old Vic, Donmar or Royal Court?  What about having some Anne Baker?

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#40CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/22/19 at 6:27pm

Today, Friday, March 22, is one of the mini-deadlines for resubscribing to the Ahmanson for the 2019-2020 season.  I was told that we could not drop BOM even though it has played in Los Angeles many times, was an elective add-on at the Pantages for a number of those runs and the same company is coming through LA again this year in Thousand Oaks!  Plus Swan Lake has been through numerous times as an add-on, and Latin History has played the west coast at both Berkeley and La Jolla. They're saying the show producers won't allow them to drop their subscribers.

I understand the dynamics of producer/venue relationships, but CTG has been good enough to let me drop a show here and there.  Not this season.  I don't want to lose the excellent seat I have had for many years, but I am not happy at all about being forced to see at least 3 shows I've already seen.  They said to write to them but there are no guarantees.    Has anyone here dealt with CTG on this?

Updated On: 3/22/19 at 06:27 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#41CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/22/19 at 7:18pm

I too do not want to lose my excellent seats. They have allowed me to drop 1 show in the past. Do you think they will allow this now that the mini deadline is over, and the amazing offer of a free magazine subscription is no more? I wonder if they become more flexible more towards the hard deadline. 

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#42CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/22/19 at 7:27pm

It's a thought emo_geek.  I talked to 3 different people at separate times over the last week, and they all said we've changed the policy about dropping.  They said you can renew and send a letter of request but that's the policy and there are no guarantees.  Or they said "You can wait and do a choose your own season".  But of course, I'd lose my 6th row center early-in-the-run weekend seat.  For the amount of money I'm paying for shows that I've seen I could subscribe to LA Magazine for 20 years CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?

Updated On: 3/22/19 at 07:27 PM

VernonGersch
#43CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 3/22/19 at 11:36pm

here is a helpful hint that has worked well for me over the course of the past season - great, no, make that excellent seats ALWAYS pop up (because subscribers end up switching dates) a few days before a performance.   It pays to keep checking their site.

Side note, I bet their subscription base will drop dramatically, pun not intended...so great seats will even be more readily available.

jwsel
#44CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 1:45pm

I dropped my subscription after 20 years. I really hated giving up my seats (seventh row center on Sunday nights), but I just could not justify paying for an entire subscription when I only wanted to see one show (OOTI).

What was really baffling is that, when the house desk called to remind me of the renewal deadline, they never asked if there was anything they could do to keep me as a subscriber. Given that they also are losing my Fellow-level annual donation, I would have expected something beyond “We’re hearing a lot of that” when I expressed dissatisfaction with the season.

JSquared2
#45CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 1:48pm

jwsel said: "I dropped my subscription after 20 years. I really hated giving up my seats (seventh row center on Sunday nights), but I just could not justify paying for an entire subscription when I only wanted to see one show (OOTI).

What was really baffling is that, when the house desk called to remind me of the renewal deadline, they never asked if there was anything they could do to keep me as a subscriber. Given that they also are losing my Fellow-level annual donation, I would have expected something beyond “We’re hearing a lot of that” when I expressed dissatisfaction with the season.
"

Were you expecting them to reprogram the season in accordance with your personal tastes?

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#46CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 2:07pm

We don't expect GTG to program to our tastes, but I expect them to program up to previous standards. They've had some great seasons and brought in some terrific shows.   But for 2019-2020 they have scheduled 2 one person shows as mandatory offerings. But in the past, these kinds of shows have usually been add-ons.  SWAN LAKE is a new production.  But it has been at the Ahmanson at least twice in the past, and we shouldn't have to be forced to see it again. And I can't count how many times BOOK OF MORMON has been through LA. I believe the same tour that is coming to the Ahmanson is playing in Thousand Oaks, north of LA in July.  To me that's a bad move in spite of the fact that BOM is a crowd-pleasing money maker.

I know booking touring shows is difficult and mounting new productions is expensive.  I know Nederlander/Broadway/LA snagged most of the touring shows for next season.  But is is a very weak season. They'd better pull a big rabbit out of the hat for the final slot they have to fill.

Updated On: 5/4/19 at 02:07 PM

MorrisLACat
#47CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/4/19 at 5:03am

I've been an Ahmanson Theatre season subscriber off and on for 29 years since I was in college when the theatre had "Student Subscriber prices".  Does anyone remember "Ahmanson @ the Doolittle"?

I also passed on their 2019-2020 season.

Without their 7th confirmed musical/play for summer 2020, I will not waste my money.  

jwsel
#48CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/5/19 at 3:53pm

Were you expecting them to reprogram the season in accordance with your personal tastes?

Of course not.  What surprised me is that, knowing long-time subscribers and donors were dropping their subscriptions because the poor quality of the season, they did no damage control.  For instance, they could have asked if I would subscribe if they let me drop one or two shows.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#49CENTER THEATER GROUP - Worst Season Ever?
Posted: 5/5/19 at 4:10pm

I feel so bad for people doing outgoing sales calls for seasons like this.

Videos