pixeltracker

My Fair Lady closing July 7- Page 2

My Fair Lady closing July 7

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#25My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 8:52pm

Laura taking over helped the box office, most people went to see HER playing Eliza I would imagine. I certainly did.  She didn't whisper the entire score like Lauren did, so huge upgrade.  

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:27pm

LuPita2 said: "Laura taking over helped the box office, most people went to see HER playing ElizaI would imagine."

If most people did that, wouldn't it stay open?!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#27My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:42pm

Sher's direction and Ambrose's acting is the best thing that has ever happened to the musical. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#28My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:46pm

I'm not surprised by this news. My mom and I were there Saturday afternoon, and although the loge was full, there were a lot of empty seats in the orchestra. This was my 3rd visit and I absolutely enjoyed it.

I'd like to head up on a Tuesday to see Kerstin Anderson as Eliza.

The last time I saw this production was in February, and Laura's accent was very consistent this time around.  I really liked her as Eliza.  There is something about Christian Dante White's voice that brought tears to me eyes yet again when he sang, On the Street Where you Live.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 5/16/19 at 09:46 PM

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#29My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:50pm

If most people did that, wouldn't it stay open?!

Since there is a finite number of people in the world with interest in the show, nope. I think a lot of people went to see her perform because she is incredible. Just my view. 

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#30My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:17pm

She was brilliant in her dream role, and had incredible chemistry with her entire cast.  She rarely missed performances that weren't already scheduled, and let people know beforehand.  Class all the way. Better than Lauren in the role in every single way.  My view. 

Updated On: 5/15/19 at 10:17 PM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#31My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 10:27pm

I may try to see this on H H-P’s last day. Kirsten will play Eliza that evening.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#32My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:05pm

While I’m sad this glorious production is closing, I’m happy it’s with Benanti. Seeing her in this production is one of my all-time Broadway highlights.

I hope a Live from Lincoln Center is in the works.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

spicemonkey
#33My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:30pm

poisonivy2 said: "LuPita2 said: "If most people did that, wouldn't it stay open?!

Since there is a finite number of people in the world with interest in the show, nope. I think a lot of people went to see her perform because she is incredible. Just my view.
"

Couldn't disagree more. Her hard charmless interpretation just about killed the show for me as did her weirdly produced high notes, unintelligible accent and lack of chemistry with HHP. For someone who said this was her dream role she didnt give a very inspired performance. She also missed a ton of shows.
"

Agree. 

VintageSnarker
#34My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:50pm

GeorgeandDot said: "brdwybound04 said: "Devastating news!!! One of the best things currently playing Broadway!!! So robbed of best revival by the ****ty OOTI revival its not even funny!!!"

The Once On This Island revival was far from sh*tty. In fact it was phenomenal. My Fair Lady perked up when it got a competentleading lady.

With Laura, it was a great production. It's sad to see it go. Hopefully it will be filmed as a live from Lincoln Center, but that seems unlikely. The grosses have been sinking and it's a very lavish production so I'm not surprised but I am disappointed.

Basically all of this. If they're smart, they'll record it with this cast. These performances should live on. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#35My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:52pm

Laura is great. She nailed She Love Me. We are do for a Camelot revival and would love to see her play Guinevere.

In the case of this revival, though, I don't think that you replace your Eliza with someone who flat-out looks too old and is not used to playing shrinking Violets, When Lauren says, "Married. To me? Who'd marry me?" You believe in her low self-esteem. It's hard to believe that Laura believes it. People want to root for Eliza so she has to appear rather helpless. 

As for trying out a young and fresh newcomer, I'll give you an example. I picked up the Times one day and read a re-review of the Sound of Music revival of 1998. I don't remember who the critic was. Rebecca Luker, whom I had loved in Show Boat, had played Maria but had left the show. This reviewer said that the young girl who had replaced her was an improvement, and went on in some detail why she was better. As most of you probably know, the young girl who took over for Luker was Laura Benanti. I felt so bad for Rebecca having to read that.

Another comment: Michael Buckley of Playbill later wrote that Benanti "was an absolutely wonderful Maria ... As do others, I believe that had she opened in the show, Benanti would have been an overnight sensation."

So go for the sensation, not the safe, when turning over the cast. And even though you're having a great time in London, maybe quarrels between cast members and wholesale changes in cast deserve a little supervision.

So here I am criticizing the greatest director of the first 20 years of the 21st Century.

It's all good. It was a terrific revival and I saw it multiple times, one time sitting next to Lauren's mother. By the time the next major revival comes through I'll likely be dead (or as they say so much more pleasantly these days, I'll have "passed."My Fair Lady closing July 7

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#36My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 12:25am

Laura was perfect in this role, and I'm so happy it is closing with her, this was truly her role!

Updated On: 5/16/19 at 12:25 AM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#37My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 12:47am

I saw this glorious revival back in May 30th last year with the entire original cast and that was a production I will never forget. It was proof as to why Bartlett Sher is a talented director of Golden Age musicals and I certainly hope that either Camelot or Follies are on his mind for his next musical revival.

Laura was absolutely stunning as well and I'm glad she's closing the show this July.

RWPrincess
#38My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 1:09am

Sad to see this news. Such a beautiful production.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#39My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 1:09am

It was truly a lovely, but flawed production. The first time I saw it, I pretty much hated it. I thought the entire production was cold and lifeless, particularly due to a pretty dreadful performance from Lauren. I thought she lacked presence, charm, technique, chemistry, and literally everything required for the role. She started as a squashed cabbage leaf and ended as a squashed cabbage leaf.

Laura was phenomenal and had she been given a proper rehearsal period with Sher, I think she could've turned out an even better performance. I think it was clear that she wasn't given the right time with a dialect coach. Her Eliza always had strength, but I think her Eliza was less a story about a woman learning to be confident and more about a woman learning to respect herself and learn that she's worthy of respect from others, which, in this day and age is a more interesting journey. I think her and Danny Burstein and Christian Dante White and even Rosemary Harris, injected some much needed life into a production that started out very low energy.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#40My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 1:36am

From what I heard the houses after the first year were better than The King and I.I think it had more to do with the three leads leaving although the tourists only knew of Harry and many of them were not very familiar with him. To get some names for the leads probably would not have been worth it because the show probably would have closed by the end of summer.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#41My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 3:25am

What kind of life can such a person have.

To be pitied.

Received email from TheaterMania Wednesday night.

Discounts through June 30th

All side orchestra and front loge

Tuesday and Wednesday evenings - when one of the leads is out  - $89.00

Wednesday matinee, Thursday and Friday nights - $99.00

Saturday matinee and evenings, Sunday matinees - $117.00

Code MFLTM5 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#42My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 4:10am

And don’t forget, Eliza Doolittle Day is coming up soon. :)

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#43My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 6:23am

I was in the audience last year on Eliza Doolittle Day - and was surprised the line didn’t get more of an audience reaction.

it was a glorious production.  I was enchanted by Lauren’s performance and saw it a number of times.  I loved sharing this show with friends and family and it will hold a special place in my heart.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

dotseurat2
#44My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 6:34am

OlBlueEyes said: "What kind of life can such a person have.

To be pitied.

Received email from TheaterMania Wednesday night.

Discounts through June 30th

All side orchestra and front loge

Tuesday and Wednesday evenings - when one of the leads is out - $89.00

Wednesday matinee, Thursday and Friday nights - $99.00

Saturday matinee and evenings, Sunday matinees - $117.00

Code MFLTM5
"

Darnit. They're gonna milk this closing with all the discounts and there goes TDF!! I need my TDF tix!

MadsonMelo
#45My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 7:40am

Funny that people are saying that Laura couldn't hold the Box Office, but at the end, she will more performances as Eliza than Lauren LOL

I saw this magnificent production with Lauren and LOVED it, top 3 of my entire trip on Broadway and the kind of magical production of a classic that only Broadway can give it to you.

But a good run for a revival anyway <3

Plexsis
#46My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 7:53am

Got to see Lauren Ambrose’s final Saturday matinee (Michael Halling was Higgins that day) and it was just a magical day in the theater. Sad it’s closing but looking forward to seeing the national tour next year!

Such an incredible production, go see it while you can!

magictodo123
#47My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 8:17am

If you're a big Laura Benanti fan I hope you get to see her before July 7th, but if you can, try to see either of her understudies! Kerstin Anderson was absolutely incredible in the role, and I'm spacing on the name of the other understudy but I've heard good things!! 

I'm also very sad the show is closing. I thought it was absolutely beautiful and incredibly well done.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#48My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 9:02am

Shereen Ahmed is the other Eliza understudy.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

JennH
#49My Fair Lady closing July 7
Posted: 5/16/19 at 10:44am

I'm also wondering if Harry will extend the ONE day for this. 

Also if anyone has a ticket to throw my way...I won't complain. Sadly these prices were never ones I could justify paying with my small budget...

Videos