pixeltracker

Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour- Page 2

Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/1/21 at 10:42pm

Just a couple final thoughts tonight.

I can agree that perhaps commercially this particular revival being on the road right now doesn’t make the most sense, but I’m not sure it would ever be a big crowd pleaser the way that Phantom or Wicked or Hamilton are. And sure, after the last two years, people may be even more in a mood for escape. But it could also be said that art is meant to disturb us and comment on our times. And I can’t help but think after the increased focus on social justice starting last year, somehow this show will hit a little different when I see it again in January and I can’t wait. Of course, that doesn’t help the investors recoup.

Also, those promotional materials from the Pittsburgh website do seem to downplay the more “weird avant-garde” elements (which I now love) of the show. I only spied very quick shots of that one particular video segment and the nightmare scene. Probably smart as it might alienate the traditional tour patron, but also likely to create a divide between expectation and what audiences actually will experience. That could be a good thing, just maybe not commercially. We’ll see!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#26Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/1/21 at 10:48pm

Sam Mendes’s Cabaret was once considered too edgy and radical to appeal to the regionals and touring world… now it’s the accepted default vision of the show.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#27Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/1/21 at 11:22pm

darquegk said: "Sam Mendes’s Cabaret was once considered too edgy and radical to appeal to the regionals and touring world… now it’s the accepted default vision of the show."

Well that’s fills me with some optimism. I only know the Cabaret movie and the last revival. Is the revival that different in mood and approach compared to the original compared to how the Oklahoma revival’s approach to its original material? 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#28Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/1/21 at 11:34pm

Miles2Go2 said: "darquegk said: "Sam Mendes’s Cabaret was once considered too edgy and radical to appeal to the regionals and touring world… now it’s the accepted default vision of the show."

Well that’s fills me with some optimism. I only know the Cabaret movie and the last revival. Is the revival that different in mood and approach compared to the original compared to how the Oklahoma revival’s approach to its original material?
"

Definitely, like day and night. It is a complete new interpretation of the piece by an multidisciplinary creator. It is dark, disturbing and amazing; does not try to sugar coat it for any R&H or classic musical purist. It is raw and wonderful.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#29Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/2/21 at 11:24pm

I’m very curious to read how this plays on tour. The picture of the set is intriguing. I imagine it will still work in larger venues on a proscenium stage, it will just work differently than it did in New York.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#30Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 3:33am

bwayphreak234 said: "dmwnc1959 said: "Being as I’ve never caught this on Broadway, have never seen any staged version, or have even ever watched the movie (such blasphemy! j/k LOL),is there a way to approach seeing this “reimagined” production for a “first time” Oklahoma! experience?"

I mean, you could listen to the multiple cast albums out there, but I honestly think going in not knowing anything would be pretty cool for this particular production of Oklahoma!... But I can also say I had so much fun seeing this reimagined take with my background knowledge of the show. I think either way it will be cool to experience it either completely fresh with no background "research" or to go in having familiarized yourself with the show and seeing just how different this production is!
"

I went into the revival with extensive knowledge of the work BUT my +1 when I won the lotto went into it knowing ZERO about the show. Based on our different backgrounds... I personally recommend if you are going into this one without much previous knowledge of Oklahoma as a whole, keep it that way. Don't waste your time trying to learn about all the versions before it because you are not going to get those version here. Not by a long shot. This version is so unique and contemporary. The only thing that really knowing the piece well gives you is an appreciate (or hate) for what this revival changes through the direction alone. And I feel like only sort of knowing about it will be less effective for the viewing experience then knowing nothing at all about it.

Going into it cold and experience it as if this was the way it has always been directed may give a better overall experience seeing it because you have no expectations to be met. Then AFTER you see it, go back and see what was done differently with it. Better to be let down or raised up by the original after seeing it.

Det95
#31Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 8:46am

Does anyone know if there is stage seating for the tour? The insta set pic looks like there is, but there isn't an option to buy them on Ticketmaster. I wonder if there is they could be for lottery like the Once on This Island tour was.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#32Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 8:47am

They seem to have a cast some newbies and folks who aren’t necessarily theatre actors. I hope they are up for the demands of this show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 10:12am

Det95 said: "Does anyone know if there is stage seating for the tour? The insta set pic looks like there is, but there isn't an option to buy them on Ticketmaster. I wonder if there is they could be for lottery like the Once on This Island tour was."

I assumed there wouldn’t be any on stage seating to keep the actors safe. Or as safe as possible. I could be wrong.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#34Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 10:56am

There is no onstage seating for the tour.

SouthernCakes
#35Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:07am

Oh true. Covid safety. Makes sense.

Yeah, the ending really got me on Broadway. I’ve never really seen a producer of this show and was very like, wait, that’s the plot?! But it’s a great production.

And I’d suspect the newbies is what the director wanted?

etimer13
#36Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:14am

I can't speak for the rest of the cast, but Sasha Hutchings was on as Ado Annie for Ali Stoker when I saw this on Broadway and she was great.  I'll be curious to see her take on Laurey, but I can't imagine anyone will be as breathtaking in that role as Rebecca Naomi Jones.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#37Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:42am

seaweedjstubbs said: "There is no onstage seating for the tour."

Do you know that for sure? There is onstage seating shown in this photo. I mean, I know it’s not entirely the same, but if Moulin Rouge can sell can-can seats I’m not sure why Oklahoma can’t sell onstage seating.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Thomas Jefferson
#38Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:42am

Does anyone think there’s a chance they’ll stop in Florida? The seasons for the Straz, Kravis, Broward, and Arsht appear to be filled. Maybe I should just catch a different stop?

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#39Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 11:54am

Call_me_jorge said: "seaweedjstubbs said: "There is no onstage seating for the tour."

Do you know that for sure? There is onstage seating shown in this photo. I mean, I know it’s not entirely the same, but if Moulin Rouge can sell can-can seats I’m not sure why Oklahoma can’t sell onstage seating.
"

I’m 100% sure. Those chairs you see in that pic are for the cast, as they’re onstage for the majority of the show. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#40Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 12:09pm

Call_me_jorge said: "seaweedjstubbs said: "There is no onstage seating for the tour."

"

I too initially thought that the stage set up looked like they would have onstage seating, but then I seem to recall that at CITS, those tables/seats were also used occasionally as part of the set for cast members to sit, lean on, etc. Am I remembering wrong? So maybe that’s why the tables are on the stage?

Also, at Moulin Rouge, isn’t there a slight bit more divide between the can-can seats and the cast compared to the onstage seating of Oklahoma? I know the cast walk among those seated in the MR can-can seats, but as I recall the cast are walking elevated above the seated patrons. Seems a bit safer (if not by a lot) than the Oklahoma onstage seating.

Something else that occurred to me is I don’t know if the vaccine and mask mandates for touring shows are mandated by the shows or if it’s varying by venue. If it’s by venue, that could also be another good reason to not have onstage seating at all rather than having to change up staging depending on each venue’s safety policies. I mean for the My Fair Lady tour, they don’t even have Eliza exit down the orchestra aisle as she did at LCT  

I personally don’t think I’d want to be on stage with the whole audience staring at us for the duration of the show, but I can see the enticement. I didn’t opt for onstage seating when I saw it twice at CITS, primarily due to pricing and because I prefer a back support for my bad back rather than bench seating. 

One last thought - could it be that they’d do onstage seating but they’ll use members of the local theater community that agree to increased testing and other protocols? I know there were brief (as I recall) moments where the cast interacted with the onstage audience  I’m especially thinking of one moment with Ado Annie  of course that could easily be switched to being with a cast member. 

adotburr
#41Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 12:37pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Something else that occurred to me is I don’t know if the vaccine and mask mandates for touring shows are mandated by the shows or if it’s varying by venue. If it’s by venue, that could also be another good reason to not have onstage seating at all rather than having to change up staging depending on each venue’s safety policies. I mean for the My Fair Lady tour, they don’t even have Eliza exit down the orchestra aisle as she did at LCT"

Just curious- why would a show change its staging venue to venue? That wouldn't make sense to rework something because of a mask or vaccine requirement in one city or another. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 1:40pm

Adotburr- exactly. That was my point!

adotburr
#43Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 1:47pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Adotburr- exactly. That was my point!"

I apologize because I read your reply and was so confused! But glad to know we're on the same page! 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#44Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 9:13pm

There will be no onstage seating. Way too risky for the performers to have the unwashed masses in their performance space. The Bands Visit was offering orchestra pit seating on many stops of the tour and they even cancelled all of that. Too close. Probably violates some Equity safety protocols at the moment.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#45Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/3/21 at 9:30pm

That absolutely makes the most sense!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#46Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/6/21 at 5:28pm

n2nbaby said: "Seeing this on Saturday and I’m very, very excited. I loved it on Broadway. Will report back!"

VERY much looking forward to your thoughts and feedback on the show. Also, did you happen to see what the souvenir stand was offering? 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#47Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/6/21 at 5:42pm

dmwnc1959 said: "n2nbaby said: "Seeing this on Saturday and I’m very, very excited. I loved it on Broadway. Will report back!"

VERY much looking forward to your thoughts and feedback on the show. Also, did you happen to see what the souvenir stand was offering?

"

I will take a look and let you know! (and will post a review on my way home!)

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#48Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/6/21 at 7:28pm

No merch that i can see.

Thomas Jefferson
#49Oklahoma! 2021-2022 National Tour
Posted: 11/6/21 at 7:29pm

n2nbaby said: "No merch that i can see."

Please post a photo of the stage if you can!!

Videos