pixeltracker

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.- Page 2

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.

BorisTomashevsky
#25SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 5:51pm

pmensky said: "BorisTomashevsky said:

Where the shows were written has nothing to do with it, the issue is bringing in actors when there are excellent local performers who can do the job. When video of Debra Byrne in the original Australian Sunset finally surfaces (we're patiently waiting, Aurora...) people will realize she was one of the best.

Korean, Japanese, and continental European productions of British and American musicals don't import foreign stars, and the ones who do work there, like Drew Sarich, have made the place their home.

Bigger ticket sales only benefits the producers. And the three-month-ish run that seems to be slated for Melbourne is short for Australian standards. There's plenty to vilify here.
"

You left out how Broadway and West End shows use each others’ actors regularly. Also, I disagree that it doesn’t matter where the show was written. Sydney’s entire theatre scene is made of shows from Broadway and the West End. The Australians are benefiting from the work of artists from abroad. They shouldn’t be so precious about a few roles going to foreigners when their entire industry is build on the work of foreigners.
"

Yes, and the counterpart unions have strict rules about who can work where, when. MEAA in Australia seems to just bend over and take what the producer demands, which is something performers down under aren’t happy about. 
And where does “a few roles” begin and end? These shows are exports. Like McDonald’s or Pizza Hut. Money is paid for the rights and then the writers get a cut of the box office and that’s it. No need for extra gratuity to be thrown in in the form of casting. 

Debra Byrne has just commented online: “Wrong voice. Wrong choice. Another role lost (by) a worthy Australian. There goes another role an Australian has trained for.”

Theatrefanboy1
#26SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 5:57pm

I truly wonder what the chances are we get the Brightman SUNSET revived on Broadway versus the Nicole SUNSET.  I think I’d prefer the Brightman revival.  This truly excites me 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:03pm

I think Sarah is uniquely suited for the role. In a way, she sort of IS Norma Desmond-ish. She’s very dramatic, very melodramatic at times, and quite often unintentionally campy. She is very precious a d mannered at times.  Having seen her in concert many many times, I also think she’s a tad delusional, but in the most creative sense. I think she always sees herself as an ingenue, sexy and sensual. She’s adoring of her fans and at times the way she accepts their adulation is VERY Norma Desmond. I don’t know how much acting will be required. 

I will be curious to see how they work the score for her voice. 

She is an international superstar and is playing the lead. There will be plenty of roles and work for locals. As we are seeing across the world, theatre is a risky investment and having a star that sells tickets will definitely help. 

Debra Byrne should take a chill pill. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BorisTomashevsky
#28SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:06pm

Australian theatre attendance is at a high not seen in decades. Putting a show on right now is about the least risky thing you can do there.

https://amp.smh.com.au/culture/theatre/how-the-tiktok-generation-is-driving-a-boom-in-musical-theatre-20230620-p5di01.html

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:09pm

Did Byrne really say that? Not a good look, sis. 

And you have to think Brightman knows what she can and can’t do with her voice at this stage, before announcing a major role like this. It will be the campiest Norma ever and I LIIIIVE for that. Paint her face so much she looks like Jimbo about to give birth to bologna.  

Updated On: 10/9/23 at 06:09 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#30SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:29pm

I saw Sunset Boulevard in 1999 and 2000 with Miss Pet(ula) Clark.  Sunset with Sarah Brightman is intriguing.  The current production of "Bloody, Bloody Sunset Boulevard"  is not something I would care to see.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Mskuphantm
#31SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 6:38pm

This is brilliant!   If it by for some reason have a chance and comes to Broadway, or even tours I can also see the current London production Off-Broadway.  As far as belting or not,  if Sarah Brightman sings her legit classical sound,  she may bring a new level operatically to Norma.  Just because it has mainly been done by belters doesn't mean it needs to be either.  Similar sound to Violetta in La Traviata.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 7:04pm

This sounds like a much more exciting production than Jamie Lloyd’s Sunset Avenue in London.

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#33SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 7:26pm

Would it be logistically possible to bring this to Broadway? The impression I've gotten is that it has become cost prohibitive to run productions like this here in the U.S. I could see it maybe imported by an opera company or Lincoln/Kennedy Center, though.

Tsao5
#34SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 7:52pm

There is a lot of love here for Sarah.  I've seen her in Phantom and Aspects. Though I am a bit confused at this casting, can she sing the part to do justice to the score?  I know she is talented vocally in her own right, but one often thinks of a "belter" for this role. Lately all I've heard from Sarah are etherial Cirque du Soleil-esque renditions of original or older songs that work well when doing yoga. Does she have the vocally exciting "bite" to sing the score?  Feel free to tear me apart, I just don't see her doing the score justice, either vocally or acting wise. Does anybody consider her even an actress? I would have hoped to have seen the great Caroline O'Conner in the role instead. 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#35SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 8:10pm

Tsao5 said: "Does she have the vocally exciting "bite" to sing the score? Feel free to tear me apart, I just don't see her doing the score justice, either vocally or acting wise. Does anybody consider her even an actress? ."

This worries me too. Norma should not just sound "sweet". She is a very layered and complex woman. I have never seen Sarah Brightman act. How I see her, for lack of a better word, is mostly like an inflatable doll singing songs. Wide-eyed and only capable of 2 expressions, surprised or sleepy. Like another poster said, the songs could be sung in a higher key, more operatic and it could work very well, it doesn't have to be belted because we are used to that. Debra Byrne does this wonderfully too, she uses a lot of head voice. But it's the acting that I worry about more. Norma is not just a world alienated vacant doll. She is a passionate tiger with temperament.

Updated On: 10/9/23 at 08:10 PM

Jordan Catalano
#36SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 8:35pm

Says here she’s only doing 6 shows a week (assuming they’re on an 8 show schedule). I wonder if they’ll get someone else with a “name” to do the other two. 

Link

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 8:45pm

CATSNYrevival said: "This sounds like a much more exciting production than Jamie Lloyd’s Sunset Avenue in London."

Agree as the London production should just stay there as a revival w/ Brightman sounds intriguing plus she's a bigger name-star than Scherzinger.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Theatrefanboy1
#38SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 9:43pm

While there is a lot of questions as to whether or not brightman can sing it.  I would argue that as a plot accuracy - a woman who made a living from silent film would not necessarily have a strong voice.  I’m curious how brightman will sound on the score 

Mskuphantm
#39SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 10:44pm

Agree to disagree on that, for a musical the voice you hear is the inner voice of the performer of course you want to hear her sing strong.   This isn't a sally Bowles character where her singing or lack there of was part of her performance.   Norma does have to sing the score strongly for the internal struggle, I truly believe Sarah brightman regardless if she belts this or sings this legitly can pull it off.  I THINK her kupie doll wide eyed face works for the silent film star, her singing obviously will prove this. I cannot judge her until she performs the role,  based on her performance in Song and Dance, Phantom and let's not forget the film Repo Opera, I cannot wait!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/9/23 at 10:56pm

Obsessed.  An icon in an iconic role in an iconic location? Do we know how "big" this production will be? Opera House has done some really cool things in the past.  

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#41SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:03am

Tsao5 said: "I would have hoped to have seen the great Caroline O'Conner in the role instead."

Now THAT would be inspired. I’m sure she’ll need an alternate and I hope to god you nailed it with this call.

Jordan Catalano
#42SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:11am

She will have an alternate. She’s only doing 6 shows a week.

A Director
#43SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:23am

Sarah Brightman sings three songs from Sunset (The Minnie Mouse Versions)  If she doesn't have the power to sing "With One Look" and "As If We Never Said Goodbye," there is no reason to the show.

The Perfect Year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0HFbcM2ug

Surrenderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nq_tdfGAxo

Too Much Love To Care https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcSHTK1B1A

Mskuphantm
#44SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:28am

And here is With One Look, though she sings it in Italian!!!  

https://youtu.be/FOQ4H6kjL0Q?si=MfoJAV3yLD-2tsFg

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 02:28 AM

JasonC3
#45SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 4:59am

I still remember the awkward moment of Brightman sharing the stage with Betty Buckley for ALW's 2006 Kennedy Center Honors.  She delivers two wispy lines from Memory and then Buckley's soaring vocals thunder through to finish the song at its climax.

https://youtu.be/RDcmNI9JF3k?feature=shared&t=969

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 04:59 AM

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#46SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 5:16am

Which Aussies would be well cast in the other lead roles? Anthony Warlow seems an obvious wishlist choice for Max, although I think he'll still be in 'Chicago' at the time so it probably won't happen.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#47SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 8:05am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "a woman who made a living from silent film would not necessarily have a strong voice."

We need to get rid of this idea. This idea is the opposite of everything theatre stands for. This art form and language is the opposite of literal. 

Theatrefanboy1
#48SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 8:33am

I’m curious who else they get in the cast.  Brenton Thwaites? Hugh Jackman?(I mean who knows) Jacob Elordi? 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#49SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 10/10/23 at 8:38am

This announcement is far more intriguing and exciting to me than that for Nicole Scherzinger. 

I very much liked Ms. Brightman's recording of "Surrender". 

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Videos