CARRIE Musical Petition

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25re: re: re: CARRIE Musical Petition
Posted: 9/10/03 at 10:04pm

How about Melanie Griffith as Carrie's Mom ?

Poster Emeritus

#26Nunsense
Posted: 9/10/03 at 10:47pm

The NUNSENSE sounds hysterical. It will be in Bal'more hon soon.

broadwayguy2
#27re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/10/03 at 10:49pm

How come no one thought to dump a bucket of pig's blood on Melanie at the Tonys???
:)

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#28re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/26/04 at 7:00pm

*BUMP*

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#29re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/26/04 at 8:03pm

*sigh* I love this show. "I'm Not Alone" is fantastic. "And Eve Was Weak" is thrilling. "Two Unsespecting Hearts" is awesome. "When There's No One" is beautiful. "Dream On" is... well okay so not all of the songs are perfect, but even "Don't Waste the Moon" which is very Footloose is still a fun song. I'm still in complete confidence that if the show were revived today, tomorrow! that if it was maketed as "Broadway's Biggest Flop is Back for a Second Laugh" that it would be successful. For me, CARRIE is no worse than quite a few of the shows playing on Broadway right now. And in some cases CARRIE is better. I won't mention any names, but I just think CARRIE has a bad rep. Since when is camp not in?

andyf
#30re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/26/04 at 10:24pm

its not a matter of camp being in or not (did you see the little shop revival, they drew laughs out audreys death scene which made me SO mad.....but then again, can you really expect anything decent from kerry butler?)

anyway, sideshowfan is completely right. Dean Pitchford wont release the rights because hes too embarrassed. so i dont think that pitching the show as "Carrie - The Camp-ical" will make him feel any better about the situation or make him any more likely to release the rights.

by the way this petition has been around FOREVER, unless someone started a new one. either way, its not doing any good. if you really want to stage the show, all you need is the soundboard recording that was made at the closing show, and somebody to copy down the music. thats how stagedoor did it. i think somebody even alluded to that in another post. and as long as youre not doing it in an even quasi-professional setting, im sure you can get away with it.....they did.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#31re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/26/04 at 10:36pm

"Dean Pitchford won't release the rights. He doesn't even list it in his bio."

Can you blame him, JohnPopa?

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

JLfrom NYC
#32re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/27/04 at 12:25am

"I'm still in complete confidence that if the show were revived today, tomorrow! that if it was maketed as "Broadway's Biggest Flop is Back for a Second Laugh" that it would be successful."

I agree. But only if today is Say the Opposite of What You Mean Day.

No offense. I just can't see anyone taking what was obviously SUCH an abysmal failure (not to mention so horrendous that watching it was like driving a nail file through your skull. I mean, hel-lo. The pig slaughter scene? That's just 57 shades of painful) and risking HUGE monetary failure by HOPING people will see it because they want to see what was so bad about it. Broadway shows are rarely profitable anyway, but to bank an awful show simply upon its ridiculous awfulness? I can't imagine that working.

Unless of course they cast Hugh Jackman's ass. In which case it doesn't need a plot whatsoever.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33re: Nunsense
Posted: 9/27/04 at 12:42am

I still don't think CARRIE is any worse than another show currently playing on Broadway which shall remain nameless... to me, it's the same quality of writting....

jackson992
#34re: Carrie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 6:53pm

I think the music is fantastic. Is there anywhere I can buy a recording or a video?

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#35re: Carrie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 7:29pm

With some reworking and restaging, "Carrie" could be an extremely successful musical. The score is dripping with potential, and the workshop version of the book has some scenes that are GEMS. There are many factors that contributed to the show's failure on Broadway, and I'd recommend the book "Not Since Carrie" to anyone who is genuinely interested in discovering more about the show. It really is fascinating to track the show's progression from workshops to its ill-fated Broadway debut. And TRUST ME- it definitely had the potential to be a great show in its preliminary stages.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#36re: Carrie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:39pm

A copy of the printed, 229-paged, piano vocal score for CARRIE ("All the music is here, from beginning to end, and the printing is sharp and clear, easy to read" )just sold on Ebay for $107.50.

Not as much as I thought it would make, frankly.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 12/25/04 at 08:39 PM

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#37re: Carrie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 9:01pm

I'd love to see Seth Rudetsky put together a concert version of Carrie for the Actor's Fund since he seems to be slightly obsessed with it. I've heard him talk about it several times. And those concerts are such a success. Maybe rights would be granted for a one-night-only performance benefiting charity? Just wishing. It would be so much fun.

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

jackson992
#38re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 4:03am

I actually did see where that thing sold. Too bad it wasn't a recording or video heh. Luckily I have it burned from the net.

Also, what are people's opinions on Romeo & Juliet The Musical. This is another show that I felt was amazing.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#39re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 9:38am

I think my director at camp started this petition as a joke on the choreographer. The coreographer was in Carrie the Musical and it's a never-ending joke at my camp. What other insane person would want to release the rights to Carrie?

Mimi Imfurst
#40re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 10:07am

I know someone who recently directed a concert version of Carrie. It was my first time being exposed to the music. Personally it reminded me of a bad horror version of footloose. Sounded pretty damn campy and fantastic. I think that if it was reworked people would flock to it- just because they were curious.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#41re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 12:48pm

That's funny...when i saw Carrie I thought you meant Carrie from Sex and The City--I'm like HUH?

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

jackson992
#42re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 1:54pm

Have any of the songs been performed elsewhere besides the version of Unsuspecting Hearts by Emily Skinner & Alice Ripley? Consequently, prolly my least favorite song from the show

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#43re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 2:02pm

Linzi Hatley recorded the title song on her album. I love Carrie, probably because I love camp. The songs for Carrie and her mother are great, and Betty Buckley is, well, Betty Buckley, so how can you beat that? I will always be fascinated with this show and it's score and spectacle.

Sondheimman132
#44re: Carrie
Posted: 12/26/04 at 10:34pm

I've been dying to see Carrie for quite some time, (big fan of the novel) and i'm wondering if any kind of recording of the songs were available? And what made it so terrible?

"Bang...The War Commences"

Mimi Imfurst
#45re: Carrie
Posted: 12/27/04 at 12:12am

There was a concert of the music- and some scenes presented halloween night at the university of southern maine.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

jackson992
#46re: Carrie
Posted: 12/27/04 at 3:54pm

Any idea where we can get this?

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#47re: Carrie
Posted: 12/27/04 at 4:21pm

The link to that Carrie webpage didn't work.

Where can we get a recording of the music or a bootleg of the video?

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#48re: Carrie
Posted: 12/27/04 at 5:12pm

Check your PMs.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

#49re: Carrie
Posted: 12/27/04 at 5:22pm

Carrie needs a recording. I may have a cd of it somewhere that I may or may not listen to as I do not have bootlegs and find them horrific but if anyone has a good video of it.

Videos