pixeltracker

Worst Movie Based On A Musical- Page 2

Worst Movie Based On A Musical

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#25re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 12:46am

With JCS. I like the idea of what they were doing (being in Jerusalem and all) but the execution was off and the voices (besides Mary and Judas) was horrid. I actually like the 2000 cast dvd better(which isn't the best either).

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 9/1/04 at 12:46 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#26re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 2:38am

A Chorus Line
The Wiz
JSC

ChiChi, I don't know what you are comparing it to but IMO Hair is one of the better movies based on a musical.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#27re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 3:35am

42nd Street - wasn't as flashy

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Dollypop
#28re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 4:49am

Hands down..HELLO, DOLLY! That's what made me stop going to movies.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#29re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 5:54am

I don't know what 42nd street you're thinking about, but the movie i know is what the musical is based on, and is one of the great classics. I think millie has gotten them the wrong way 'round.

IMO the worst movie musicals are Gypsy...i love this show, and i am besotted with sondheim, but i cannot warm to Rosalind Russell's voice at all, and the only truly great moment is "You Gotta Get A Gimmick."
Man of La Mancha the movie destroys a broadway classic.
Annie...eeewwwwwww...need i say more
Carousel...beautiful show, but the way they altered the storyline for the movie ruined it for me...
I would have to agree with most of the other posts

I would rather watch a DVD of the broadway cast any day...movie musicals irritate me unless they are done to perfection

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 8:54am

The original Annie. It was awful

The one with Cheno was good, though. The Disney version.

jayem1968 Profile Photo
jayem1968
#31re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 9:15am

A Chorus Line - god help us all.

And......Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls, oh dear.

Everybody goes down well with beer.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 9:46am

Godspell
Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#33re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 10:48am

Chorus Line is probably the worst, considering how good the stage version CAN be...

Film musicals rarely succeed, because musicals are created to be performed live, it's part of te experience. Filming them robs them of much of their energy...that's why IMO a film like "Moulin Rouge" works because it is so cinematic and not simply a filmed version of a live show, like so many movie musicals...

spider, you really think the Hair soundtrack is better than the OBCR? hmmmm.....the movie is VERY far removed from the show both in structure and plot and style...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#34re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 11:11am

hey lildogs - - -

from what ive read the restructuring of "hair" for the movie version was necessary, the show hadn't dated very well and a revival 2 years prior to the movie's release failed miserably.
the soundtrack of hair is far superior to the OBC because it's original composer galt macdermot broadened the scope and range of the material. for historical value the OBC is important but for overall quality, the soundtrack is light years ahead of it.

Emutional Profile Photo
Emutional
#35re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 11:15am

I can easily picture "Good Morning Baltimore" being on the screen. I can imagine....it starts close up on her face and she's in bed, and then it zooms out vertically, and the she gets out of bed and she's walking down the street and all the people stop to dance and sing, like in the Music Man...I can just see it.

I don't know about the other two, though.

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#36re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/1/04 at 11:17am

I have to agree with the Disney Music Man! Matthew was awful! I usually like him but my God it was bad... Maybe that is just me...

megannn33
#37re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 12:30pm

lildogs,

i agree. well i mean i enjoyed the movie grease but most movies that are musicals.. i don't like that much. unfortunately i have yet to see them on broadway. but i know i am nervous about them turning wicked into a movie. i have this feeling it is going to ruin the wicked experience for me.. i don't know why but it is. like i feel really uncomfortable about it. i guess cause everyone else in my school is going to know what it is? i enjoy being one of the only ones. well i shouldn't say that i should say that i wish people would know of wicked by the musical.. and not the silly movie that probably cannot come close to comp[aring with the musical.

haha sorry.. pointless ramblings of megan.. i just woke up so give me a break? lol

Anniesotm
#38re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 4:38pm

Definetly the TV version of The Music Man
I was so disappointed I couldnt even finish watching it.

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#39re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:05pm

Jesus Christ Superstar was hard for me to sit through because Jesus was such an awful singer, and Judas was good. It puts me in an uncomfortable position when I start wanting to cheer for Judas.

HROK?

VIETgrlTerifa
#40re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 5:08pm

Did anyone watch Man of La Mancha? After seeing Sophia Loren singing, I had to turn off the tv and run away.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#41re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:15pm

---People in musicals should be able to SING! ---

you know, i always thought that as well. seems pretty simple doesnt it? if your in a musical you need to be able to sing. but nooooo thats just way too complicated for casting directors out there...

shesings
#42re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:19pm

they're remaking Hairspray? how did I miss this?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:19pm

"I don't know what 42nd street you're thinking about, but the movie i know is what the musical is based on, and is one of the great classics. I think millie has gotten them the wrong way 'round..."

Whoops! You're right. I still didn't like the movie that much, though.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

weeblo
#44re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:30pm

Before I even read message one, MAME came catupulting to mind. Your reading the ranting of a once mammoth Lucy fan, but sweet Jesus what were the producers thinking hiring that woman of all people? Yes, Lucy Ricardo and Maude in Mame... A group of producers actually sat around and said YES -- PERFECT. Hey, I know, let's remake it today starring, oh, I don't know, Jennifer Aniston and Debra Messing. Aw, who cares they can't sing or dance - - they are after all big sitcom stars, right?!!!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#45re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:32pm

A Chorus Line is a disaster.
Mame (good call Margo)
The Fantasticks
Man of La Mancha
Any bastardized Disney version of a musical.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#46re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 6:40pm

"Any bastardized Disney version of a musical."

While I HATE the actual outcome of the Disney version of CINDERELLA, I like the updated music to it. I wish they would have released a soundtrack.

ANNIE was 500% better than the Hollywood fim version. Hated every second of that autrocity.

MUSIC MAN......I know I am going to be kicked of bww.com for this, but I actually liked this one. In fact (and I get ready to be jumped) I like it better than the Robert Preston movie version. Robert Preston annoyed the crap out of me. OMG!!! I have also never seen a stage production so I can't compare.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

#47re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 8:34pm

Annie (1982) and A Chorus Line. I've heard A Little Night Music is attrocious but I have never seen it.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#48re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 8:45pm

"---People in musicals should be able to SING! ---

you know, i always thought that as well. seems pretty simple doesnt it? if your in a musical you need to be able to sing. but nooooo thats just way too complicated for casting directors out there..."

Not completely true. Many actors/actresses in musicals can't sing, but make up for it with fierce acting and emotion. Example: Glynis Johns in A Little Night Music. While most will agree that her voice isn't beautiful, she acts the hell out of the little singing she is given. She was the first to sing Send in the Clowns, and listening to her rendition will let you understand what the song really is about, instead of having it being butchered by lounge lizards.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#49re: Worst Movie Based On A Musical
Posted: 9/4/04 at 10:28pm

annie- whoever decided to make it into an action movie should be shot, as should whoever wrote "dumb dog" and cut nyc

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Videos