Newsies!

commasplice
#25re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:00pm

bjivie, I don't think a recording exists of the song (which is a shame, because I'd like to hear it...). In the original script (which is different from the movie script), all it says is: "SARAH pulls her robe around her and begins to sing the BALLAD: "WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE BOY?"". Maybe they still have the music lying around somewhere and they'll be able to put it in this version. Updated On: 1/4/05 at 12:00 PM

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#26re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/4/05 at 5:12pm

Son of a gunn, wasn't the 2000 film musical "Geppetto" with score by Stephen Schwartz produced by Disney? I may be mistaken though.

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#27re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:02pm

there actually is a recording, but it isnt sold in stores anymore. My mom ordered a copy from Borders and they got one in for me, but by that time i already found someone to make me a copy of theirs. I love "King of New York".

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#28re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:36pm

i saw NEWSIES! ok, it doesn't QUITE live up to the hype that it's gotten here, but i was VERY entertained. who wouldn't enjoy all that cute boys singing and dancing in the streets of new york? the crowd scenes were amazing.

now, would someone please tell me how i can get the song SANTE FE out of my head?!

RIP glebby <3

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#29re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:59am

Sure I'll tell you. Here's what my favorite math teacher of all time says if you get a song stuck in your head just start singing the chicken dance and it works everytime. Of course this is the man who would sing songs from WSS every morning at seven o'clock just to annoy me. Lol.

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#30re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:01am

ha! i'll try it! and, racehorse, i was expecting you to be the next person to post to this thread :)

RIP glebby <3

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#31re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:02am

It's Racetrack. And really were you now?

"The weight of this sad time we must obey, Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say. The oldest hath borne most; we that are young Shall never see so much, nor live so long"-Edgar in King Lear

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#32re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:24am

I have been listing to the soundtrack for Newsies all week I just put it on my ipod! I got thow spirts of lisiting to it for a while then I back away from it and then I keep coming back to it! It's just a lot of fun!

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

Racetrack Profile Photo
Racetrack
#33re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:27am

It is a lot of fun. Gotta love the music.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#34re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 1:50am

I had soo much fun when i did a virsion of it a few years ago. I actually played ractrack.. Loke at me I'm the king of new your (sung by a at the time 5'6, 16 year old girl)lol but it was a lot of fun! and I also got to do the opening monolog! whihc I still know by heart!

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#35re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:21am

I got the CD at FYE in our mall

but then I'm the one who rented the movie and never took it back also

oops

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

DivaMommy
#36re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:33am

We watched NEWSIES on Christmas and noticed that Trey Parker (Southpark) was in the show as one of the Newsies. Thought that was interesting.

Would be a great stage show with some tweaks. But where would a school or comminuty theatre find all those triple threat boys?????

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#37re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 2:56am

that would be why it would be mostly cast of gals in drag.. lol

#38re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 4:36am

Yep Gepetto was part of Wonderful World of Disney

E

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#39re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 11:49am

Just wanted to clarify that they are 2 different Trey Parkers. Trey Mckay Parker is in Newsies. He's now singing with The Most Valuable Players, according to http://trey.zacharywoodlee.com/Bio.html

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

commasplice
#40re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 11:50am

Actually, the Trey Parker in Newsies isn't the Trey Parker of South Park fame. Newsies's Parker used to be in a boy band called EYC, though.

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#41re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 11:54am

Great minds think alike Commasplice.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#42re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/17/05 at 12:57pm

Anyone go to the BKLN live performance at Virgin? Anyone ELSE notice Aaron Lohr standing by the escalator? WOO HOO

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#43re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 6:34pm

OMG I love Newsies! Aaron Lohr was hot then and is hot now, same with Christian Bale, hell most of those boys aged well. It it a shock that Disney hasn't put it on stage yet, the only thing going for this musical is an hour long script for school plays, such a shame. Doesn't Disney know how much money they can get from this gem?! And apparentely the only reason they wouldn't put it on stage is because it's a play where the mojority of the cast is kids, and that's a problem? It wasn't a problem for the movie in 1992 where most of the cast were eighteen and over, they only had like ten kids underage(except for the ending)

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#44re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 7:56pm

OMG! I remember EYC!!! I saw them at my very first Backstreet Boys concert in 1999 (i saw them 9 times after that... I know I should be ashamed)! I remember EYC was their opening act... we hated them sooo much.

Anyway... Newsies should TOTALLY be devolped for the stage. It would be such a great show for disney to do on Broadway. I've done songs for it and I've played a boy and its sooooo much fun. I have only wonderful memories of the staging of that song. and I would go see it right away! Newsies rock!

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#45re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 8:38pm

Christian Bale = total cutie

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#46re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 8:42pm

got to see CHRISTIAN BALE again last nite in SWING KIDS. but i totally didn't like it when he was smashing ROBERT SEAN LEONARD's face in :/ it was a moving film, though. i cried.

RIP glebby <3

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#47re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:35pm

My first college roomate loved Newsies -- and even though I knew the song "King of New York", I had never seen it. Well, she sat me down and I watched it. I borrowed it from her a million times afterwards.

I really enjoyed it. And seriously? It NEEDS to be a stage musical. It may not be the best movie or musical ever. But I think it would come to life so well on stage.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

bwayballerina
#48re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 9:37pm

Being a dancer, I would love to see Newsies on Broadway. That would be such a fun show to dance in or choreograph! :)

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#49re: Newsies!
Posted: 1/22/05 at 11:22pm

I've seen it done but it was like a home wriiten illegal show.IT sort of sucked but when it is on broadway I'm gonna be first in line to see it,

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Videos