pixeltracker

Future Overdone High School Musicals- Page 2

Future Overdone High School Musicals

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#25re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 7:30pm

I'm still waiting for high school seniors to do "Naked Boys Singing". I'm there.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 7:32pm

"Wicked" will lead the pack, for sure. It's show that doesn't rely heavily on too much dancing or even effects. Many of the leading characters are close to the age of the students. Whether or not the school has a cherry picker or not won't kill the show. High School drama departments can easily get creative with it.

I think "Lion King" will be huge too. "Aida" probably not as much for many reasons, such as multi-ethnic casting (which you could dodge around, but not without totally losing the story). For the same reason Showboat, Big River or Dreamgirls weren't done much (if at all). "Ragtime" will suffer the same fate, sadly. I'm surprised at high schools that try "42nd Street" or "A Chorus Line" or even "West Side Story." They need such talented dancers to pull them off.

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" should be big too... but again, the dancing, which they could trim or simplify and not kill the show. The more mature-themed shows (as in the past) won't do as well in high schools, but will do well in colleges. In years to come, I could see Piazza doing as well as A Little Night Musc has (on the university level).

I wouldn't be surprised if a few daring schools tried Hairspray, but there's more than just the "drag" thing. You've got to have a multi-ethnic cast to pull this off, and that counts out a lot of places.

But I think there are still many Music Mans, Oklahomas, and Brigadoons to bow before ecsatic, clapping relatives in years to come. There is a huge built-in recognition of those titles, not to mention "safety" in chosing them.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/15/05 at 07:32 PM

Georgeanne Profile Photo
Georgeanne
#27re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 7:40pm

I agree with best12bars about Hairspray.

Hairspray seems like a fun show to do for high schools, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Me, I like to live.
Me, I like to laugh.
Me, I like to love.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#28re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 7:42pm

I found them off Google.

gavrochegirl
#29re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 7:56pm

Hairspray, Wicked, Millie- those are very good candidates. But how in the world would they do The Lion King?

What the puck?!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#30re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:02pm

It could be done without the puppets. It would suck. But it could be done without the puppets.

Think high schoolers dressed up like Timon, Simba, etc. And a really underwhelming opening of "Circle of Life," with a bunch of teens running around the stage dressed up like giraffes and gazelles.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#31re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:06pm

Someone said this, but ALL SHOOK UP will become the new GREASE...and i don't think any high school could pull off Wicked.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:19pm

It's called... imagination, and it doesn't cost money. There are many ways to skin a lion.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#33re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:22pm

Hairspray is definitely the next Bye Bye Birdie.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

ZONEACE
#34re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:23pm

"There are many ways to skin a lion."

yeah, but all of them are illegal.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#35re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:27pm

I can see spelling bee at small community or regional theatres a lot. it would work.

wicked, well lets just say im gonna puke.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#36re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:40pm

Well, "Beauty and the Beast" and "Seussical" have already established themselves as staples, i think. (Six schools did Beauty and the Beast in my area this year, and eight did Seussical.)

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" will be a big hit, guaranteed. MTI is already offering transpositions, so any high belting Millie may have or high tenor singing that Jimmy does will be easily conquered.

"All Shook Up" and "Mamma Mia!" will be big hits. They're family-friendly, ensemble-heavy, appeal to audiences, and the music is relatively easy to sing and learn. It's a good thing, as these shows really will make good high school shows, especially "Mamma Mia!" which I think can be done on a pinch-penny budget.

"Hairspray" is everything a high school musical should be, but the multi-ethnic cast will be a major turnoff for most schools, i think.

The watered-down version of "The Producers" will likely be popular, but the practically all-male cast won't appeal to a lot of schools. Plus, there's only so much you can water down...ambitious ones will tackle this one.

Finally, many schools will attempt to do "The Lion King" and "Wicked". Whether they will be good is up to anyone...I guess "Wicked" could be bearable if they transposed stuff...but for both, the grand moajrity of schools will not be able to reproduce the specatacle of the actual show.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:43pm

Did you really think I meant that literally?? Wow.

kate2
#38re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:51pm

High schools will try to do wicked because of it's popularity (but it would lead to disappointments!) I think Aida is another possibility for HS

ZONEACE
#39re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 8:51pm

no, i was making a joke.

hot_brdwy_diva Profile Photo
hot_brdwy_diva
#40re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:00pm

Footloose already is overdone in HS. My Hs did it when I was a junior and about 3 others in the area did it the same year!

I agree with most of them...
Aida
Beauty and the Beast
Millie
Titanic (if it's not already...)
Definately the jukebox musicals... but I havent seen any of them so I can't really say :)

"You just have to do what your voice tells you to do." -Linda Eder

YankeesFan175
#41re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:09pm

i agree with jerryherman, i think mamma mia could be really big. theres really nothing to be watered down (some schools could take out the few swear words if they were that picky). itd be fun and easy to do, and very ensemble oriented.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#42re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:18pm

RENT will be overdone! I emailed MTI about rights to MILLIE & RENT, the agent gave me an estimate for release.

RENT-summer 2008
TMM-Summer 2006

those cannot be confirmed but those are estimated release times for the rights

WICKED wont be out for many years to come, i can tell you that now!

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#43re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:27pm

All I can say is...

Les Mis, les Mis, LES MIS!!!!!!

I've already been subjected twice! When will it end?

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

mollyllom Profile Photo
mollyllom
#44re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:30pm

Aida--I've seen it now twice in regional youth theater productions without the ethnic castings (Asian Mereb, white Aida) and it doesn't matter, still very good show.

42nd st--my school did it and pulled off the dancing fabulously..I think it's just the same deal with any show of school's directors not really understanding their students' abilities (or lack thereof)

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=13865158 please =D

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#45re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:31pm

i also think once BARE gets out into the world a little more, people will want to do that

jam_man
#46re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:36pm

My drama teacher always says that Mamma Mia! will make a great high school show. I agree with her.

Hairspray will also be done a lot.

Wicked shouldn't be, but unfortunetly, it probably will be.

Beauty & the Beast likely will be done a fair bit, as well.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

ZONEACE
#47re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:39pm

"i also think once BARE gets out into the world a little more, people will want to do that"

yes, because that's the kind of subject matter that high school administrators are just clamouring to showcase.

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#48re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/15/05 at 9:53pm

But the set for Wicked is kind of complcated, i couldn't see how'd they change it to be able to fit on a high school stage..

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#49re: Future Overdone High School Musicals
Posted: 8/16/05 at 12:14am

My high school is doing Beauty and the Beast. I am playign Cogsworth. I wanted to do Pippin but NOOOOOOOOOOO the orgy is too long! Bah!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Videos