Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#25re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 5:27pm

re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre

I remember Carmilla.

Remember the Cannon movie fairy tales?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Caitlin
#26re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 8:46pm

Just bought the whole collection at BJs, don't know if they sell them everywhere, but it was pretty cheap. Personally, I love the puss and boots episode with Ben Vereen!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#27re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 8:49pm

My cousin was one of the 3 little pigs re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#28re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 9:21pm

I loved the Shelly Duvall series. Wow i haven't thought about that in years!!

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#29re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 9:22pm

They always had a dark soap opera feel to them.

EganFan2
#30re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 9:41pm

Yeah, didn't Cinderella tell off her Fairy Godmother?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#31re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 9:56pm

I've only seen two of them, butrather recently. I worked for a Children's Theatre company and my mother bought me these as a birthday gift as a joke.

Rapunzel.

Beauty and the Beast. Go Susan Sarandon!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

rockfenris2005
#32re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/28/05 at 10:08pm

Whoever brought this up got into my secret journal :O

I thought I was the only person on earth who had these. I, actually, went looking for a website the other day… and offered to make a home-page. It’s an amazing series and I can’t believe it’s being discussed here: or at all :O

Whoever’s seen them all, I have so much to say. There are some killer moments in all of them: Sleeping Beauty with the fairy giant (makes Maleficent look like Minnie Mouse), Snow White with Vanessa Redgrave as the Queen. At the end, all the mirrors turn to black and she kicks and rolls around the floor like a psycho. It’s totally hysterical. And then you have Robin Williams as the Frog Prince… probably one of the most enjoyable films I’ve ever seen (and Eric Idle wrote it). What’s Teri Garr doing these days?

Believe it or not, there’s a Nightingale with Mick Jagger. Probably one of the most terrifying scenes I’ve ever seen comes from this video (and I’ve seen some freaky stuff): when the death-creature jumps up on Mick and says all this creepy mumbo and conjures these visions. It’s so scary, I can’t believe that children would have watched it. It still freaks me out today!

I never saw all of them... because I could never find them. I’ve always been curious what the others are like. I only found out recently they did a version of The Little Mermaid and with Matthew Broderick in Cinderella. Seriously, on the whole (with a few exceptions) anyone who’s missed out on these needs ENLIGHTENMENT! FAST!

For the record, to any fans, the show’s had some losses over time, the deaths of these amazing participants: Bridgette Andersen, Eve Arden, Hoyt Axton, Art Carney, James Coburn, Jeff Corey, Billy Curtis (he was one of the Dwarfs: and was also the “Mayor of the Munchkin City” in Wizard of Oz), Dana Hill, Gregory Hines, Klaus Kinski, Lu Leonard, Joseph Maher (anyone remember the Priest from Sister Act?), Roddy McDowell, Burgess Meredith, Brock Peters, Vincent Price (obvious), Christopher Lee (obvious), Lee Remick (Anyone can Whistle, anyone?), Beatrice Straight, Herve Villechaiz and FRANK ZAPPA who was a hunchback in THE SHIVERS!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 10/28/05 at 10:08 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#33re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:08am

You forgot to add Christopher Reeve to your list -- he was the Prince in Sleeping Beauty. re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Updated On: 10/29/05 at 02:08 AM

PerforMeg Profile Photo
PerforMeg
#34re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:22am

Oh this is so fun!!!! I was OBSESSED with these. I guess every junior theatre geek was! How about Goldilocks with Tatum O'Neal? I loved that one-I also loved Three Little Pigs, Hansel and Gretel...what was that "Shivers" one about? I think I saw that one and liked it but I can't remember it. I do remember being angry at the Snow White one, because the Disney Snow White is what made me want to be an actress at age 3-so I was mad that it was different and didn't have all the songs!

You can get all 26 of them on DVD from amazon.com for $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that may be on my Christmas list also!

You have all inspired me to find all of these and watch them again-can't wait to see what I remember-it's been a long time!

rockfenris2005
#35re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:27am

Sorry, I meant Reeve. Christopher Lee is still living

I always get those names mixed up - which is just downright blasphemous: as they're two of the world's finest actors

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

rockfenris2005
#36re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:28am

If there's a box set of all of them, I'll snap them up in a heartbeat. Couldn't think of a better idea

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#37re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:45am

Pee Wee Herman as Pinnochio with Carl Reiner as Gepetto!!!!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#38re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 10/29/05 at 2:48am

I LOVE these! My favorite was Sleeping Beauty and Hansel and Gretel!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#39re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/6/05 at 10:50pm

Nobody seemed to remember the Cannon Fairy tale movies I mentioned but maybe you will if you hear this song from their version of Sleeping Beauty. Anyway, even if you havent heard it before, I always thought it was a pretty, haunting song.

http://www.mystacor.com/cannon_tales/sounds/Sleeping%20Beauty%20-%20Dare%20Me.mp3

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

eatlasagna
#40re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 1:09am

i bought this a while back... but yeah.. here's the link to amazon.com that someone mentioned a few posts up
Faeire Tale Theatre on DVD

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#41re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 1:32am

I grew up on these. Some of my earliest memories are of me watching these shows.

Akiva

Composer9 Profile Photo
Composer9
#42re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 1:46am

I absolutely love Faerie Tale Theatre! Last year I found them on Amazon, and buy a new one every once in a while...I love the Sleeping Beauty one because it is soooo not for children (and of course wonderful Bernadette and Chris Reeve) and the dancing princesses because Leslie Ann Warren is in it...The little mermaid one scared the sh$t out of me when I was a kid because of how diff it is from the disney one...I guess I'm poisoned by disney fairy tales...anyway, I'm so glad someone brought this up!

The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~Leonard Bernstein~

kec Profile Photo
kec
#43re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 3:41am

Mr. Midwest, I seem to recall seeing one of those Cannon Fairy Tales you mentioned -- but I don't remember which. Wasn't a young Helen Hunt in one?

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#44re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 3:53am

Shelley Duvall is "LA Joan" to me and nothing else....from "Nashville" of course. Not to mention "3 Women" and "Popeye", she was not a great producer. But i ADORE her.
And she is a brilliant actress

Drought Down Under.

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#45re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 9:13am

My favorite one is actually "The Little Mermaid" , with Helen Mirren playing the princess whom the prince eventually marries. It's priceless!

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#46re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 2:56pm

Helen was in The Frog Prince with Aileen Quinn, kec.

Here's a site about the Cannon movies. http://www.mystacor.com/cannon_tales/index.htm

Nothatsmrt Profile Photo
Nothatsmrt
#47re: Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre
Posted: 11/7/05 at 3:15pm

Hansel and Gretel. Two words: Joan Collins. She was the witch, and scared the *^*$&*)* out of me when I was little. I also loved The Dancing Princesses.

Videos